Team Finland announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
ZeroTheHero said:
Get your facts straight. He served his suspension and as an atheist had a hard time going to the christian counseling that was mandatory....
I can see that its hard with the christian stuff, but hes still suspended by the NHL for not compleating the substance abuse program, and therefore not aloud to play in the world cup.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
So, what will happen now then with the 26th spot? Will the Finns try and convince the NHL to give Karjalahti another chance, or will they name a replacement for him - and why on earth haven't they done that already. Or is it even possible that they will do some silly demonstration against the NHL by not replacing him and going with 25 players?

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
This is Karalahti's decision, instead of completing the NHL substance abuse program, like Fleury has tried, he simply said forget it, I'm going home to play hockey...and I thought his problem was a little more severe than alcohol?

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Leo Naphta said:
So, what will happen now then with the 26th spot? Will the Finns try and convince the NHL to give Karjalahti another chance, or will they name a replacement for him - and why on earth haven't they done that already. Or is it even possible that they will do some silly demonstration against the NHL by not replacing him and going with 25 players?
I wouldn´t be at all surprised if they did.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
balddog66 said:
This is Karalahti's decision, instead of completing the NHL substance abuse program, like Fleury has tried, he simply said forget it, I'm going home to play hockey...and I thought his problem was a little more severe than alcohol?

He was rumoured to have some sort of drug problem back in Finland. After he went to NHL he was tested constantly for any substance (drugs, alcohol) and he passed all tests for a year. Then he was moved to Nashville and he had some beers during summer holiday and got caught in the tests. So no...his problem with drugs was over and it was simply about alcohol. Which of course everyone else in the NHL is allowed to consume at will as long as it does not affect their work.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Askel said:
First of IFK about the Bertuzzi thing shut up. Moore wasnt even closed to beeing killed and Bertuzzi cant play in this event since hes suspended and the comment about Heatley is bad. His best friend was killed in a car accident god damn it. I dont think Danny planned it.

Karalahti is suspended from the NHL since he refused their substance abuse program and went home to finland to play, the NHL said then that he could never play in NHL again.

Are you docktor? I think is very close to die when you neck get broken.

Of course Danny wasn´t planned to kill his team mate, but to reason why Snyder died is Heatley. I don´t judging Dany Heatley cause thats not my job. My point is that Dany Heatley drive his car too fast that area where they was that time. Heatley has also littlebit alcohol in his blood. Those things is the main reasons that why Daniel Snyder is dead now.

I only want to explain these two story (Bertuzzi,Heatley) that Karalahti´s beer drinking is not even close of those two thigs.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
IFK said:
Are you docktor? I think is very close to die when you neck get broken.

Of course Danny wasn´t planned to kill his team mate, but to reason why Snyder died is Heatley. I don´t judging Dany Heatley cause thats not my job. My point is that Dany Heatley drive his car too fast that area where they was that time. Heatley has also littlebit alcohol in his blood. Those things is the main reasons that why Daniel Snyder is dead now.

I only want to explain these two story (Bertuzzi,Heatley) that Karalahti´s beer drinking is not even close of those two thigs.

Shesh. Check the facts before posting stupid things about Bertuzzi. He wasn't chosen to team canada because, at this point, he's not allowed to play. He hasn't been cleared to play next year yet. And if Moore "almost died" you could say the same thing about dozens and dozens of other players who have been injured in hockey games.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The thing about Karalahti still rubs a lot of Nashville fans the wrong way. While a relatively small name in the NHL, his time with us was VERY impressive, and he was going to be a big part of our defense, providing a physical stay at home force to pair with Timonen's offense, allowing Kimmo to jump into the rush more safely. Jere Karalahti was in the substance abuse program for COCAINE...which he had long since stopped using, and was proud of that fact. However, apparently the program states that you cannot use ANY type of controlled substance..and if you go out and drink a couple of beers...you're violating it, and are suspended for six months.

Oh yeah, unless you're a Canadian mini-hero like Theo Fleury. In that case, you're given all sorts of "second chances" based on who you are.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
incawg said:
Shesh. Check the facts before posting stupid things about Bertuzzi. He wasn't chosen to team canada because, at this point, he's not allowed to play. He hasn't been cleared to play next year yet. And if Moore "almost died" you could say the same thing about dozens and dozens of other players who have been injured in hockey games.

Yes, but if Canada was chosen him has they (NHL) give him to play? I think NHL give Bertuzzi play next year whitout questons. Karalahti can´t never-ever play NHL again and the reason is that he was drink some beer. I think that is a joke. Bertuzzi try to hurt Moore very badly and hit his head on the ice and drop to all his weight against Moores neck. If you think your head that which of these was more against to human mind then what was your answer? What Karalahti do or what Bertuzzi do? Karalahti drink beer to his home sofa or Bertuzzi use his elbow and hit Moores head on the ice?

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
IFK said:
Yes, but if Canada was chosen him has they (NHL) give him to play? I think NHL give Bertuzzi play next year whitout questons.

No. They haven't. He is suspended indefinitely and must have a hearing to be reinstated. Had he not been suspended, he would have been named to team Canada as Gretz has said several times. I'm not going to comment directly on the Karalahti incident as I don't know all the facts, but you're wrong about Bertuzzi.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Karalahti was in rehab for his heroin addiction.
Being European, he's used to having a drink with dinner, but that's against the rules of the NHL Drug Rehab system.
He didn't want to have to live like that, so he went home.
The World Cup is an NHL-sponsored tournament. He doesn't want to play by their rules, then he doesn't play.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
The Karalahti situation has its own thread. Take the talk there, please.

No room for surprises up front, so I (almost) stand by my earlier choices:

Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne
T Ruutu - Jokinen - Peltonen
Laaksonen - Pirnes - S Kapanen
Nieminen - Hahl - Eloranta/J Ruutu
N Kapanen (substitute for both checking lines), Hentunen (offensive reserve), Eloranta/J Ruutu (depending on whether the fourth line needs speed or, uhm, "special talent")

It is really a shame that Niinimaa wasn't picked, he benefits from a small rink more than any other Finnish defenseman. If we're lucky, he is offered Karalahti's spot, accepts it and looks impressive in camp. Unfortunately, that isn't likely. I would have ranked the defense corps ahead of their Czech counterparts, but not without Niinimaa. If Teppo is in decent shape, Pitkänen will probably be the one sitting, even though I would pick Berg.

No more decisions concerning goalies need to be made at this point, the coaching staff will learn all it needs to in training camp.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Laituri said:
No more decisions concerning goalies need to be made at this point, the coaching staff will learn all it needs to in training camp.

They're not actually considering not having Kiprusoff as the starter, right?

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
They're not actually considering not having Kiprusoff as the starter, right?

They probably aren't (as much as it is possible not to consider something like this), but I expect Kiprusoff to look a whole lotta different in camp when not behind his trusty Flames D. Then they might take a look at their more balanced goalies at other end of the rink, and you never know...

RoyIsALegend*

Laituri said:
They probably aren't (as much as it is possible not to consider something like this), but I expect Kiprusoff to look a whole lotta different in camp when not behind his trusty Flames D. Then they might take a look at their more balanced goalies at other end of the rink, and you never know...

Hogwash.

Mikka Kiprusoff will start every game for Finland until he fails miserably. They'd look downright foolish for not playing him ahead of the other two.

joe_shannon_1983*

No Hagman or Pirjeta?

They should have been on the team ahead of guys like Hahl and Pirnes.

And Niinimaa not being on the team is dumb. He is one of the Finn's better defensemen.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyIsALegend*

jcs_1983_shannonman said:
No Hagman or Pirjeta?

They should have been on the team ahead of guys like Hahl and Pirnes.

I don't think you could go wrong either way with those selections.

Riku Hahl and Esa Pirnes are good hockey players, and neither have encountered the consistency issues that have haunted Niklas Hagman either.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
RoyIsALegend said:
Hogwash.

Mikka Kiprusoff will start every game for Finland until he fails miserably. They'd look downright foolish for not playing him ahead of the other two.

I'd be willing to bet Kipper won't play against Germany. I think Lehtonen will make his major tournament debut in that match.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
As a hard core Islander fan I can tell you that Finland's chances of winning are better with Niinimaa staying home. He's been terrible for a year and a half.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:
As a hard core Islander fan I can tell you that Finland's chances of winning are better with Niinimaa staying home. He's been terrible for a year and a half.

Finally someone who have seen Niinimaa´s playing NHL. I agree you that he´s been terrible also NHL not only Finlands team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad