WJC: Team Finland 2024 U20 WJC roster Talk.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Come on. You've been fighting (and winning) above your weight for year. You're gonna have a bad year once in a while.
There is much more going on with Finnish hockey than just this tournament. This tournament has just been showing the problems bubbling under. I didn't say this because of one game, everyone in Finland is worried about the future of our hockey. We got too satisfied and no one wants success anymore, they only care about money and player development has went downhill for a few years now.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
There is much more going on with Finnish hockey than just this tournament. This tournament has just been showing the problems bubbling under. I didn't say this because of one game, everyone in Finland is worried about the future of our hockey. We got too satisfied and no one wants success anymore, they only care about money and player development has went downhill for a few years now.
As a Canadian, a county known for naval gazing, I promise, it will correct itself.

Reactions: Ciao

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Our hockey association is sleeping, so I hope you're right but wouldn't bet my money on it. We have been sleeping and we can see the results of getting too comfortable and falling asleep.
It happens. Plus, you will finish 4th(? - worst case) and still be in the playoffs. A win in the Quarters against the U.S. and, all of a sudden, this team is a success. Stay positive.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
This is a disaster with capital D. Not even the loss itself, but the way this team plays. Whole Finnish hockey tradition tossed to trash bin, what is this playstyle? Who is responsible? Mikkola?

What is Kimmo Kuhta and Jussi Jokinen doing there? This is just a big clusterf***, let the boys play. Nobody has any idea what they are doing, Nyman is playing under Pennanen in Ilves and now with this tool, and you can see he has no idea what to do on the ice. This is not the time and place to practise coaching and receive jobs just because you're a good guy and nice company in sauna

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
This is a disaster with capital D. Not even the loss itself, but the way this team plays. Whole Finnish hockey tradition tossed to trash bin, what is this playstyle? Who is responsible? Mikkola?

What is Kimmo Kuhta and Jussi Jokinen doing there? This is just a big clusterf***, let the boys play. Nobody has any idea what they are doing, Nyman is playing under Pennanen in Ilves and now with this tool, and you can see he has no idea what to do on the ice. This is not the time and place to practise coaching and receive jobs just because you're a good guy and nice company in sauna
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Agree with all this 100%

Reactions: karhukissa

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I didn't say this because of one game, everyone in Finland is worried about the future of our hockey. We got too satisfied and no one wants success anymore, they only care about money and player development has went downhill for a few years now.
Sounds like german football to be honest.

Reactions: FinPanda

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Lol, you can't be serious. We are lucky to beat Latvia if they keep playing like this.
Yeah, I can totally see this team losing to Latvia in a penalty shooutout.

Really should've called an audible and gotten KJ to handle this tournament and let Mikkola learn from him.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yeah, I can totally see this team losing to Latvia in a penalty shooutout.

Really should've called an audible and gotten KJ to handle this tournament and let Mikkola learn from him.
No.
Only route should be KJ in Mikkola straight to Finland
with first ship Stockholm to Helsinki and of course Mikkola's own bill.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Get this f***ing loser out and immidiately.
I don't know yet will i watch Latvia game in friday at all.
If i look i expect it being good game and Finland's clear win without any hick-ups.

If the game is same bullshit as these first two i don't watch at all.
I can't tolerate that clueless clown bozo coach and his piss poor ''coaching'' any further.

To me it looks so obvious our boys are seriously playing Mikkola out.
Mikkola is either lost locker-room or he'll lost locker room.

Iltasanomat live game updates mentioned Finnish players were very pissed after the game
and they were absolutely in furious too they also broke their hockey-sticks into goal posts.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Have you seen the german national football team since 2016?
They are dogshit. If you look for the definition of insanity the leadership of the association comes up.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
This team is not this bad. This is definitely a coaching problem. Just look how they have handled the PP. Embarrassing stuff. We can't have these IDIOT coaches next year when we look to have the most talented team since 2019.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Have you seen the german national football team since 2016?
They are dogshit. If you look for the definition of insanity the leadership of the association comes up.
I couldn't care less about potkupallo ( finnish mock name for football )
I'm NBA and basketball fan today.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I agree the coaching and player development are the biggest issues. But...
God damn how anonymous or actually pretty bad? Konsta Helenius has been. Kid fumbles with the puck and looks slow to me. Completely clueless. Does not look like a top10 pick in this tournament.
Also, this Kulonummi guy is overrated. No intensity whatsoever. He needs som real HIIT training and like all others Finnish prospects to work on his skating.
I honestly wonder what their VO2max level is and how they perform in different physical tests. Because with this Finnish trauma ( lack of skating ability) they at least need to have some lungs or fire in some way, but they just don't seem to excel in anything. They don't look like lions, they look like f*cking sheep out there.
I mean it's not like Finland are worse skaters compared to North Americans only. They really do look horrendous compared to most Slovaks and Czechs as well and this isn't anything new.

Systems, structure and all that are perhaps the most important thing but where are those leaders? Do they have anyone in the team or coaching staff who can scream his or their lungs out and wake this group? Salin has a letter and he's d*gshit out there.
I agree with earlier posters. I actually believe Latvia are better than Germany and will beat them so guess what? Our game against them will be a difficult one. If, a big if, we proceed to play a quaterfinal it's against USA and they will piss on us.

V*ttu, hävetkää saa*tana. Show some f*cking pride and heart.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Also, we are only missing Kemell. Sweden are missing Leo Carlsson and Slovakia Slaf and Nemec. Let's not name North American teams. My point is, this would have looked even worse for Finland with all prospects participating.
Slovakia would've been big time favorites against us, almost like Canada and Sweden always were against us before 2014... Scary but very real.

Reactions: cheechoo

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Marko Kauppinen U18 head coach.
Let's face it, the U16-U18 project is not the most coveted job. All the coaches has been nobodies, even Ahokas and Niemelä until they won gold.

Current U16 head coach is Tuomo Ropo, he actually isn't half bad hire. He won Mestis gold and silver in Ketterä. He might be actually good but we'll see in 2 years.

Current U17 head coach is Mikael Kotkaniemi he replaced Matti Tiilkainen, who went to Germany. I think we won that trade, no idea what kind of coach Kotkaniemi is but Tiilikainen was pure garbage. Kotkaniemi won U20 Liiga championship in 2022 and Suomi-Sarja in 2021, and Kivi's assistant in Ässät in 2013 when they won gold.

BTW Marko Kauppinen is also the next U16 head coach.
Lauri Mikkola U20 head coach.

Why do failed terrible Liiga coaches get such important coaching positions?
Sauna club.

I think the better question is why the U20 head coach position is unwanted job among top finnish coaches?

Kivi was signed to be the coach before won gold in Liiga, without that no one saw him as a top coach in Finland. Jukka Jalonen took the job because it was a home tournament and by looks of it he didn't even consider 2-year deal. Kari Jalonen went to Czechia but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Rautakorpi took a 1 year deal and got fired in the middle of the tournament. Lämsä is not even a top tier coach in Finland and he bolted as soon as he could.

In the 30 years only 5 coaches has coached in B2B tournaments, Harri Rindell 1995 & 1996, Erkka Westerlund 2002 & 2003, Jukka Rautakorpi 2008 & 2009, Jussi Ahokas 2018 & 2019(+relegation round 2017) and Antti Pennanen 2021 & 2022.

Before to those 5, Esko Nokelainen 1992 & 1993, Pentti Matikainen 1984 & 1985, Olli Hietanen 1980 & 1981 and Matti Väisänen 1977 & 1978 were the other coaches who coached in B2B tournaments. Hannu Kapanen 1998 & 2000 and Hannu Aravirta 2004 & 2006 were close to coach B2B. Hannu Jortikka is the only one who has coached 3 tournaments in a row 1986, 1987 and 1988.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Lauri Mikkola U20 head coach.
Marko Kauppinen U18 head coach.

Why do failed terrible Liiga coaches get such important coaching positions?
Being the members of sauna and kiss my ass clubs
also being good buddies with right persons who knows the guys in liitto is a huge plus. That's why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad