U18: Team Finland 2020 U18 WJC roster talk.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I don't give a f*** and also i don't listen any whine on that how early it is made this thread,
But at least U18 WJC's Finland has some chances to win a medal.

1st Line Simontaival Räty Lambert
Nyman Niemelä

2nd Line Järventie Hirvonen Suni
Viro Puutio

3rd Line Liukas Miettinen Tuomaala
Jurmo Rafkin

4th Line Salminen Helenius Mäenpää
7th defenceman Karri Aho / Christoffer Sedoff ( depending injuries etc )
13th Forward Oskari Luoto / Veeti Korkalainen / Jesse Seppälä / Patrick Isiguzo ( depending injuries etc )

Goalies
Blomqvist
Jatkola
Markkanen.

Remember this is ONLY SPECULATION.

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
pretty good lineup.... only I dont rank Luka Nyman that highly id look other options

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I think Karnaranta, Niemi and Lehmus should have good chances to get a spot in the team.

I totally forgot Lehmus.
But CHL playoffs can keep some Finnish players out of U18 WJC's.

I'm not put so much attention of CHL standings.
So i don't have much information which teams and Finnish players are going to CHL playoffs.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't give a **** and also i don't listen any whine on that how early it is made this thread,
But at least U18 WJC's Finland has some chances to win a medal.

1st Line Simontaival Räty Lambert
Nyman Niemelä

2nd Line Järventie Hirvonen Suni
Viro Puutio

3rd Line Liukas Miettinen Tuomaala
Jurmo Rafkin

4th Line Salminen Helenius Mäenpää
7th defenceman Karri Aho / Christoffer Sedoff ( depending injuries etc )
13th Forward Oskari Luoto / Veeti Korkalainen / Jesse Seppälä / Patrick Isiguzo ( depending injuries etc )

Goalies
Blomqvist
Jatkola
Markkanen.

Remember this is ONLY SPECULATION.

You can still medal here... US hate playing the Finns!

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Do we usually have this many players with Liiga experience? I know at least Simontaival, Räty, Niemelä, Hirvonen and Viro have played in Liiga this season.

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
Do we usually have this many players with Liiga experience? I know at least Simontaival, Räty, Niemelä, Hirvonen and Viro have played in Liiga this season.
Last season’s team had plenty of Liiga experience with some guys with Liiga games even left out of the team. But before that it’s been rare to have a lot of players with Liiga games, usually only the top players.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Lambert has also played one game in liiga this season.
He would have played more ( maybe ) if HIFK wouldn't have signed
free-agent forwards Michael Keränen and Ville Leskinen.

HIFK's offense is quite stacked.
And that's why Lambert has played more in A juniors than HIFK's liiga team.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
What do you guys think about the coaches for this team? Last year if I can recall the head coach was Marttila and it didn't go so well. This year it seems to be Anssi Laine. He has U18 silver from 2016 as an assistant coach on his resume. That was the the year when Veini Vehviläinen had his fantastic performance in the goal.

Where is our next Tommi Niemelä and Ahokas. Younger and hungrier coaches and at the same time great leaders and team motivators. Any similar young head coaches with that kind of potential coming up next years? Could Anssi Laine actually be one of those guys? 38 year old isn't too old for a coach anyways.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
The biggest problem in Finnish hockey seems to be that our players are so good individually so they try to showcase their skills instead of putting the team first. It's more important to do that useless trick to go past an opponent and carry the puck and forgot that there are 4 other guys on the ice.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
The biggest problem in Finnish hockey seems to be that our players are so good individually so they try to showcase their skills instead of putting the team first. It's more important to do that useless trick to go past an opponent and carry the puck and forgot that there are 4 other guys on the ice.

Individualism and selfishness are probably next threats of Finnish hockey.
Read more here Kommentti: Suomi-kiekon tulevaisuuden suurin uhka paljastui MM-kisoissa – Nuoret Leijonat unohti jotain olennaista

But that doesn't remove that fact if coach can't handle his players
then the coach is wrong job and wrong place.

Coaching staff is there for a reason and if they can't do their job who does that then ?

Reactions: FinPanda

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What do you guys think about the coaches for this team? Last year if I can recall the head coach was Marttila and it didn't go so well. This year it seems to be Anssi Laine. He has U18 silver from 2016 as an assistant coach on his resume. That was the the year when Veini Vehviläinen had his fantastic performance in the goal.

Where is our next Tommi Niemelä and Ahokas. Younger and hungrier coaches and at the same time great leaders and team motivators. Any similar young head coaches with that kind of potential coming up next years? Could Anssi Laine actually be one of those guys? 38 year old isn't too old for a coach anyways.

Don't talk shit Anssi Laine was U18 assistant coach 2017 not 2015.
Check your facts dude.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

Yes, Anssi Laine is this years head coach. Next year head coach is going to be Petri Karjalainen and Mika Marttila again in 2021-2022 season.

Next U16 coach hasn't been announced yet, or then i have missed it. But if i had to guess, i could see Lauri Merikivi being one the top choice. He was Niemelä's assistant coach, so he knows what the whole project is going to be.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Don't talk **** Anssi Laine was U18 assistant coach 2017 not 2015.
Check your facts dude.

No need to be mad. I only checked from eliteprospects when I wrote that and apparently I checked wrong which year he was the assistant coach. I have no memory print of Anssi Laine so I only came here seeking more info really and spark some conversation.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yes, Anssi Laine is this years head coach. Next year head coach is going to be Petri Karjalainen and Mika Marttila again in 2021-2022 season.

Next U16 coach hasn't been announced yet, or then i have missed it. But if i had to guess, i could see Lauri Merikivi being one the top choice. He was Niemelä's assistant coach, so he knows what the whole project is going to be.

Okay interesting. Not sure if I want Marttila back or does anyone really?

I would love it if the ice hockey federation would increase the salary of the U18 head coach to make it more lucrative for some bigger Finnish coach names instead of recycling some coaches like Marttila. On the other hand we found Niemelä and Ahokas in the current way so can't complain really.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Okay interesting. Not sure if I want Marttila back or does anyone really?

I would love it if the ice hockey federation would increase the salary of the U18 head coach to make it more lucrative for some bigger Finnish coach names instead of recycling some coaches like Marttila. On the other hand we found Niemelä and Ahokas in the current way so can't complain really.
Marttila isn't good. I don't like him as a coach of young teams.

Reactions: Svedu and Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think that this tournament will get canceled due to corona and so will men's 2020 tournament. It's just the right thing to do in my opinion. It's a shame if it's Jukka Jalonen's last year as the coach for a while. I really wanted to see what the magician Jalonen and his good coaching staff would've done this time around.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

Called it.

Finnish national team coaching staffs for 2020-2021 were announced today.

Men's team:
Head coach: Jukka Jalonen
Asst. coaches: Mikko Manner, Ari-Pekka Selin
Goalie coach: Kari Lehtonen
Video coach: Janne Hietaniemi

U20 team:
Head coach: Antti Pennanen
Asst. coaches: Antti Miettinen, Ville Mäntymaa, Tuomo Ruutu
Goalie coach: Juha Lehtola
Video coach: Mikael Tolkki

U18 team:
Head coach: Petri Karjalainen
Asst. coaches: Tero Määttä, Sami Tervonen
Goalie coach: Roope Koistinen
Video coach: Ville Koho

U17 team:
Head coach: Mika Marttila
Asst. coach: Saku Martikainen
Goalie coach: Janne Laine
Video coach: Jari Saastamoinen

U16 team:
Head coach: Lauri Merikivi
Asst. coaches: Juha-Matti Yli-Junnila, Antti Aarnio, Jarkko Rissanen(goalie coach, probably)

Link:
Leijonat - Maajoukkueiden valmennusryhmät kaudelle 2020-21 nimetty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad