Team exclusive sports networks

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What do you think the future is for team centric and owned sports networks, like the Dodgers, Yankees, and Cubs currently have? What teams are likely to get them in the future, and will this still be viable in the rise of streaming. Will teams eventually start to have team owned and operated streaming services for all of their team’s content?

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
I think it's hard for any non MLB team to have one for the simple fact that you get close to half a year worth of content with a baseball season that's a lot even without adding spring training and perhaps some postseason content if that team gets there in october

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I think it's hard for any non MLB team to have one for the simple fact that you get close to half a year worth of content with a baseball season that's a lot even without adding spring training and perhaps some postseason content if that team gets there in october
MSG Network gets by without a baseball team, however they have an NBA and four NHL teams.

The Washington Capitals and Wizards will soon have one as their owner just bought NBC Sports Washington, I believe.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Yeah I know but they would not be just team centric since they have more than one. SNY would qualify more for that unless they cover something I'm missing.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Don't the Leafs already have Sportsnet and TSN? Both the Leafs and Sportsnet/TSN are literally owned by Rogers/Bell.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
Red Sox and Bruins with NESN have a streaming service plan in place

"NESN will charge $29.99 a month for streaming access to its network’s programming, which includes live games featuring MLB’s Red Sox and the Bruins of the NHL. The first month will cost $1 as a promotional price. An annual subscription costs $329.99 and includes eight tickets to any Red Sox game in 2022."

You have to be a local since MLB owns all rights outside of the region.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Yeah I know but they would not be just team centric since they have more than one. SNY would qualify more for that unless they cover something I'm missing.

SNY also fills their fall/winter with a lot of UConn sports. That actually is what facilitated UConn re-joining the Big East. ESPN was building out their streaming inventory when the American Athletic Conference signed a new deal with ESPN. Every single game not on ESPN TV is on ESPN+ now; but that meant UConn was losing their second-tier rights contract with SNY for football and women's hoops. The ESPN dollars were an increase, but it was less TV money their their old ESPN AND SNY combined. Plus they'd sell more tickets as Big East members.. So they went independent in FB, sold the games to ESPN/SNY, and joined the Big East, which let them keep their SNY deal for FB/WBB and make a lot more money.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad