U18: Team Czech Republic

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I think we should start this thead, as U18 WJC starts in 6 days. And sorry if someone else want to start it, I don't want to grab all Czech Republic threads:).

Official Roster

Goaltenders:
Lukáš Dostál (Kometa Brno)
Daniel Dvořák (Mountfield HK)
Kristián Kolář (Plzeň)

Defensemen:
Jakub Adámek (Třinec)
Tomáš Dajčar (Quebec, QMJHL)
Vojtěch Doktor (České Budějovice)
Martin Hugo Haš (Tappara Tampere, Finland)
František Klejna (Karlovy Vary)
Zack Malík (Sudbury, OHL)
Libor Zábranský (Kelowna, WHL)

Forwards:
Matěj Blümel (Waterloo, USHL)
Petr Čajka (Zug, Switzerland)
Adam Gajarský (Kometa Brno)
Jan Jeník (Liberec)
Vojtěch Kropáček (Sparta Praha)
Michal Kvasnica (Třinec)
Jakub Lauko (Chomutov)
Matej Pekař (Muskegon, USHL)
Karel Plášek (Kometa Brno)
Jaromír Pytlík (Žďár n. S.)
Dominik Sklenář (Mountfield HK)
Vojtěch Střondala (Kometa Brno)
Michal Teplý (Liberec)

C: Libor Zábranský A: Jakub Lauko

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Looking forward to watch this team, it's pretty good one for our standards.
What do you consider to be our standard? 00s are clearly below 96s, 97s and 99s. 01s are shaping to be better as well. Hard to gauge the overall quality of the younger generations, but 02s seem to have more elite talent than 00s. I am gonna ignore 95s and older, since those were usually terrible with only few quality individuals (Hertl, Faksa, Jaskin etc.) and I hope we are not getting back to that level ever again. So the only comparable left are 98s, which I would say were around the same quality as 00s are now. Probably a slight edge to 00s because of the forward core, but I would be shocked if this year's team passed the quaterfinals. In fact, I am a little worried we might suffer a beating either against Russia or in the QFs if we get USA or Sweden.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
What do you consider to be our standard? 00s are clearly below 96s, 97s and 99s. 01s are shaping to be better as well. Hard to gauge the overall quality of the younger generations, but 02s seem to have more elite talent than 00s. I am gonna ignore 95s and older, since those were usually terrible with only few quality individuals (Hertl, Faksa, Jaskin etc.) and I hope we are not getting back to that level ever again. So the only comparable left are 98s, which I would say were around the same quality as 00s are now. Probably a slight edge to 00s because of the forward core, but I would be shocked if this year's team passed the quaterfinals. In fact, I am a little worried we might suffer a beating either against Russia or in the QFs if we get USA or Sweden.
I absolutely agree. 00 is comparable to 98, it is slightly better due to the attack, but in any case worse than other recent selections. Today with BLR 2: 4. Only to be disgraceful.

Reactions: Wooren

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I absolutely agree. 00 is comparable to 98, it is slightly better due to the attack, but in any case worse than other recent selections. Today with BLR 2: 4. Only to be disgraceful.
2:4 against Belarus is embarassing. They are likely going to be in the relegation group and we lost to them. :help:

Babula

May 31, 2012
hopefully the game against Belarus is one of the slipped away games. anyway this team has no stars. outside of Dostal i guess and maybe Lauko...

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
2:4 against Belarus is embarassing. They are likely going to be in the relegation group and we lost to them. :help:
I do not believe it, we have Slovaks and France. The Slovaks are extremely bad this year, and we must leave these teams behind.
I do not know the details, but today they were supposed to kill a nominee who did not have a nomination. We can assume that we were not in the strongest composition. Otherwise it would be a great disgrace.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I do not believe it, we have Slovaks and France. The Slovaks are extremely bad this year, and we must leave these teams behind.
I do not know the details, but today they were supposed to kill a nominee who did not have a nomination. We can assume that we were not in the strongest composition. Otherwise it would be a great disgrace.
I was talking about Belarus. They are playing against Canada, Usa, Sweden and Switzerland. I guess they can do some damage to Swiss, but I still think they will end up in the relegation round.
Czechs should still easily beat France and Slovakia is pretty bad as well as you said.

EDIT: Highlights if anyone's interested.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I was talking about Belarus. They are playing against Canada, Usa, Sweden and Switzerland. I guess they can do some damage to Swiss, but I still think they will end up in the relegation round.
Czechs should still easily beat France and Slovakia is pretty bad as well as you said.

EDIT: Highlights if anyone's interested.

I see now. From splicing, it looks very bad. Anyway, I think we will not be ambition this year.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
21 players on game roster for now. David Aubrecht, Martin Hugo Haš, Jaromír Pytlík and Matěj Svoboda must wait.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Martin Hugo Haš and Jaromír Pytlík added to game roster. Which mean David Aubrecht and Matěj Svoboda will not play at this WJC.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Martin Hugo Haš and Jaromír Pytlík added to game roster. Which mean David Aubrecht and Matěj Svoboda will not play at this WJC.
Good. Now play them and don't put them on the goddamn 4th line. 01s should have legit chance to medal next year, so it would be only for the good if the key players already had the experience by then. Then again, freaking Hadamczik is gonna be the coach, so I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Good. Now play them and don't put them on the goddamn 4th line. 01s should have legit chance to medal next year, so it would be only for the good if the key players already had the experience by then. Then again, freaking Hadamczik is gonna be the coach, so I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.
Line-up for today
Dostál (Dvořák) – Zábranský, Dajčar, Klejna, Malík, Doktor, Adámek, Haš – Pekař, Blümel, Lauko – Gajarský, Kvasnica, Jeník – Teplý, Střondala, Plášek ml. – Pytlík, Kropáček, Čajka – Sklenář

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Is that Bruk guy even good coach? I remember him saying players have to be lush. What is this advice all about?:)
I don't know you mean by "lush", but I don't like how Bruk said before the U18 WJC the team will rely on defense. Defensemen are literally the weakest link of the team.
Either way, Czech hockey federation is to blame. Petr Haken had relatively good results with "his" 2000 age group for two years and then they just f*** him over and put Bruk in there who has next to none junior national team experience. And they dumped Haken again this year in favor of f***ing Hadamczik.
To be honest I used to be one of those who defend Kral, Lener etc. because the results did get better, but it's so slow and for every good step they make three bad ones are done as well. And unfortunately, lately there have been mostly bad steps. It's time for a change.

Line-up for today
Dostál (Dvořák) – Zábranský, Dajčar, Klejna, Malík, Doktor, Adámek, Haš – Pekař, Blümel, Lauko – Gajarský, Kvasnica, Jeník – Teplý, Střondala, Plášek ml. – Pytlík, Kropáček, Čajka – Sklenář
Playing Dostal after he let in 4 on like 8 shots against Slovakia? Feels like 2017 with Skarek all over again.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Are some of the goals on him? I didn't find any highlights.
I didn't either, so I admit it's a speculation on my part. Hard to think he was any good if he let in 4 barely over the half of the 1st period though.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I didn't either, so I admit it's a speculation on my part. Hard to think he was any good if he let in 4 barely over the half of the 1st period though.
We will see today I guess. There is not much informations on this tournament, I was looking that last year there was free steams on IIHF page and now you don't even find highlights.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I don't know you mean by "lush", but I don't like how Bruk said before the U18 WJC the team will rely on defense. Defensemen are literally the weakest link of the team.
Either way, Czech hockey federation is to blame. Petr Haken had relatively good results with "his" 2000 age group for two years and then they just **** him over and put Bruk in there who has next to none junior national team experience. And they dumped Haken again this year in favor of ****ing Hadamczik.
To be honest I used to be one of those who defend Kral, Lener etc. because the results did get better, but it's so slow and for every good step they make three bad ones are done as well. And unfortunately, lately there have been mostly bad steps. It's time for a change.

Playing Dostal after he let in 4 on like 8 shots against Slovakia? Feels like 2017 with Skarek all over again.
I meant "bujny". I remember him saying some time ago "they have to be like this". I was like "what the f... is that? I dont think there is system of coaches evaluation. As a fan you dont know anything and to be honest I think this is exactly intention. More darker, nothing to criticise.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I meant "bujny". I remember him saying some time ago "they have to be like this". I was like "what the f... is that? I dont think there is system of coaches evaluation. As a fan you dont know anything and to be honest I think this is exactly intention. More darker, nothing to criticise.
:laugh: :laugh:
Yeah, that's an interesting word to use when talking about hockey players.

As for the game against Russia, score 2:3 looks pretty good on paper, unfortunately the only reason it was this close was Dostal, who rebounded in a big way and had a strong game. Lauko, Jenik, Kvasnica and Pekar looked good, but that's it. Defense is really bad.

Reactions: Jablkon

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
:laugh: :laugh:
Yeah, that's an interesting word to use when talking about hockey players.

As for the game against Russia, score 2:3 looks pretty good on paper, unfortunately the only reason it was this close was Dostal, who rebounded in a big way and had a strong game. Lauko, Jenik, Kvasnica and Pekar looked good, but that's it. Defense is really bad.
Well, at least someone played good. We really need to produce some more players like Hronek and Hájek. I was thinking that Zábranský have some good potential, he isn't playing good? And also I want ask how the 01s played?

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Well, at least someone played good. We really need to produce some more players like Hronek and Hájek. I was thinking that Zábranský have some good potential, he isn't playing good? And also I want ask how the 01s played?
Zabransky's main problem is his skating. He is slow. He has an above average shot from the point, but he's not in the same universe as Hronek and Hajek were.
Pytlik got very little ice-time, Has had some solid moments, but he was also beat easily a couple times which allowed the Russian players almost clear shots on the net. Teply's line was under pressure most of the time, he didn't meet with the puck very often. In Teply's case skating is not ideal either, he should work on it during Summer. He uses his body very well though and has good hands. He did a great job just before Strondala's goal, won a board battle a threw a good pass in front of the net, 3rd assist pretty much.

I have to say I was dead wrong when assesing the Czech 2000 age group a year and half ago. Thought defense would be strong (by our standards) with Zabransky, Malik, Dajcar and Dluhos. One is not even on the team, the other three stagnated.

Reactions: Maluk11

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Zabransky's main problem is his skating. He is slow. He has an above average shot from the point, but he's not in the same universe as Hronek and Hajek were.
Pytlik got very little ice-time, Has had some solid moments, but he was also beat easily a couple times which allowed the Russian players almost clear shots on the net. Teply's line was under pressure most of the time, he didn't meet with the puck very often. In Teply's case skating is not ideal either, he should work on it during Summer. He uses his body very well though and has good hands. He did a great job just before Strondala's goal, won a board battle a threw a good pass in front of the net, 3rd assist pretty much.

I have to say I was dead wrong when assesing the Czech 2000 age group a year and half ago. Thought defense would be strong (by our standards) with Zabransky, Malik, Dajcar and Dluhos. One is not even on the team, the other three stagnated.
Thank you. It's bad the defense isn't working, by this pace we will have 4 1st lines in future and no one to defend:). Hopefully they will turn it around in later years, it seems to me our defensemen growing slower then others. Good to hear about Teplý, he can be good if he take it from the right end.

Now I hope there will be no problem with France and then we try somenthing with Finland. Still it's weird that 16 players from this team made it to Hlinka final and now we are playing bad. I mean it's not even year from it and it hurting our draft positions.

Last edited:

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Thank you. It's bad the defense isn't working, by this pace we will have 4 1st lines in future and no one to defend:). Hopefully they will turn it around in later years, it seems to me our defensemen growing slower then others. Good to hear about Teplý, he can be good if he take it from the right end.

Now I hope there will be no problem with France and then we try somenthing with Finland. Still it's weird that 16 players from this make it to Hlinka final and now we are playing bad. I mean it's not even year from it and it hurting our draft positions.
What's so frustrating is that it happens every year. In 2013-2018, six(!) generations span, the Hlinka record is a gold, two silvers, a bronze, a 4th place and 6th place. Not even a year later all these teams faded into mediocrity. The W-L ratio during the U18 WJC in that time span (including the ongoing one) is 10:19. And if you remove the 2014 outlier team which went 5:2, you finish with 5:17. 5:17!!
Five wins is all that 95, 97, 98, 99 and 00 have accomplished. Obviously these wins were against the group outsiders only (2x Latvia, Switzerland, Belarus and Denmark). Now, I do expect a clear win against France, so that will potentially make it 6 wins (woo) but then there are likely two more loses ahead anyway.
Just a complete shitshow really. And instead of trying to find the solution for this evident regression, the Czech hockey association just survives the "storm" after the WJCs (there are no storms really, media don't care about U18 at all) and then point out the good play of the new U18 team at the Hlinka claiming that is the generation that will finally break the "curse" and bring a medal from U18 WJCs. Unfortunately, the only way we can medal is when everything goes our way (goalie, production, difference makers, luck) like in 2014. That team won 3 games in OTs.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
What's so frustrating is that it happens every year. In 2013-2018, six(!) generations span, the Hlinka record is a gold, two silvers, a bronze, a 4th place and 6th place. Not even a year later all these teams faded into mediocrity. The W-L ratio during the U18 WJC in that time span (including the ongoing one) is 10:19. And if you remove the 2014 outlier team which went 5:2, you finish with 5:17. 5:17!!
Five wins is all that 95, 97, 98, 99 and 00 have accomplished. Obviously these wins were against the group outsiders only (2x Latvia, Switzerland, Belarus and Denmark). Now, I do expect a clear win against France, so that will potentially make it 6 wins (woo) but then there are likely two more loses ahead anyway.
Just a complete ****show really. And instead of trying to find the solution for this evident regression, the Czech hockey association just survives the "storm" after the WJCs (there are no storms really, media don't care about U18 at all) and then point out the good play of the new U18 team at the Hlinka claiming that is the generation that will finally break the "curse" and bring a medal from U18 WJCs. Unfortunately, the only way we can medal is when everything goes our way (goalie, production, difference makers, luck) like in 2014. That team won 3 games in OTs.
The ratio is indeed bad, it must be more of mental thing. I'm not saying this year, but last year we should have been much better and still we were losing 1-5 with Finland in half of QF. And is bad that it affect our draft positions, because the WJC is more watched then Hlinka and the good players are playing bad with rest of team.
I wonder how much the new changes (reduction of teams in junior leagues) will help. I am sure CSLH is not happy either and trying to do somenting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad