U18: Team Canada

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
My best guess at who may be available come April.

I suppose we could always send Bedard to play his '05 U18 tourney.

A CRISTALL​
R HEIDT​
B YAGER​
T HOWE​
C RITCHIE​
B NADEAU​
C BARLOW​
C REHKOPF​
M WOOD​
T PEDDLE​
L MISA​
C BROWN​

M MIGNOSA​

T MOLENDYK​
L DRAGICEVIC​
C PRICE​
C ALLAN​
E MORIN​
J TOURIGNY​
B AKEY​

C BJARNASON​
M VACCARI​

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

A CRISTALL​
R HEIDT​
B YAGER​
T HOWE​
C RITCHIE​
B NADEAU​
C BARLOW​
C REHKOPF​
M WOOD​
T PEDDLE​
L MISA​
C BROWN​

M MIGNOSA​

T MOLENDYK​
L DRAGICEVIC​
C PRICE​
C ALLAN​
E MORIN​
J TOURIGNY​
B AKEY​

C BJARNASON​
M VACCARI​
Imagine Bedard at this?lol He'd average 8 points a game

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Imagine Bedard at this? lol He'd average 8 points a game

yeah, I try to keep my expectations within reason. There are a lot of things that can factor into it, but needless to say records would probably be broken. And if he did brake any records at his 3rd. U18 tournament, that would be nice, but his 23 pts at the U20 = a stupendous achievement.

I'd say on to play with the big boys and the WHC in May. I swear if he is playing on Team Canada in Cesko 2024 - I am so there. for the beer and the Bedard show. I'll be booking my tickets early.

And I need to work in 2-3 '06 born players and perhaps even an '07 Michael Misa. That roster I posted are all '05s. and that never happens for a Team Canada U18 IIHF tournament. I will work on that.

I'll update next week. Andrew Cristall may be LTIR. We shall see what happens. in that case '06 born Macklin Celebrini gets his spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
yeah, I try to keep my expectations within reason. There are a lot of things that can factor into it, but needless to say records would probably be broken. And if he did brake any records at his 3rd. U18 tournament, that would be nice, but his 23 pts at the U20 = a stupendous achievement.

I'd say on to play with the big boys and the WHC in May. I swear if he is playing on Team Canada in Cesko 2024 - I am so there. for the beer and the Bedard show. I'll be booking my tickets early.

And I need to work in 2-3 '06 born players and perhaps even an '07 Michael Misa. That roster I posted are all '05s. and that never happens for a Team Canada U18 IIHF tournament. I will work on that.

I'll update next week. Andrew Cristall may be LTIR. We shall see what happens. in that case '06 born Macklin Celebrini gets his spot.
They should send him to all 3 in a calendar year... U20, U18 and Skoda! Finn's have a nice history of sending 18 year olds to Skoda that do very well. U18 is obviously beneath him though at this point. Agreed though, few years ago Czech sent Necas and I thought he'd tear the tourney apart and he scored at a worse clip than he did at U20. Going from 19 year old drafted linemates to undrafted 17 year olds can make a difference too!

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

A CRISTALL​
R HEIDT​
B YAGER​
T HOWE​
C RITCHIE​
B NADEAU​
C BARLOW​
C REHKOPF​
M WOOD​
T PEDDLE​
L MISA​
C BROWN​

M MIGNOSA​

T MOLENDYK​
L DRAGICEVIC​
C PRICE​
C ALLAN​
E MORIN​
J TOURIGNY​
B AKEY​

C BJARNASON​
M VACCARI​
I wouldnt count on Yager, Barlow or Molendyk being available. I expect them all to be in the second round of playoffs at least. Idk if they'd have time to join if they make R2, timeline would be too tight

It's also so unfortunate that Celebrini wont be avail because of USHL playoffs.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

A CRISTALL​
R HEIDT​
B YAGER​
T HOWE​
C RITCHIE​
B NADEAU​
C BARLOW​
C REHKOPF​
M WOOD​
T PEDDLE​
L MISA​
C BROWN​

M MIGNOSA​

T MOLENDYK​
L DRAGICEVIC​
C PRICE​
C ALLAN​
E MORIN​
J TOURIGNY​
B AKEY​

C BJARNASON​
M VACCARI​
So much high end talent coming down the pike. So nice to see - especially after seeing TSN's Top 25 players. With NHL careers averaging 4.5 years, we cannot have a period of time, like we did with the late teen drafts, where we cranked out garbage.

Last edited:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
They should send him to all 3 in a calendar year... U20, U18 and Skoda!
If they're considering sending him to worlds, they should probably include him in the U18s too. He's likely going to be done with Regina by early April, and then it's six weeks without hockey before going to the worlds?

All of this seems unlikely. I don't think he goes to Riga, and Hockey Canada prefers not to send players who have graduated to U20 to U18 tournaments. For good reason: the U18 is a good testing ground for players and it gives more opportunity to see what some of the off-the-radar players might be able to accomplish (while still locking them out of playing for other countries).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If they're considering sending him to worlds, they should probably include him in the U18s too. He's likely going to be done with Regina by early April, and then it's six weeks without hockey before going to the worlds?

All of this seems unlikely. I don't think he goes to Riga, and Hockey Canada prefers not to send players who have graduated to U20 to U18 tournaments. For good reason: the U18 is a good testing ground for players and it gives more opportunity to see what some of the off-the-radar players might be able to accomplish (while still locking them out of playing for other countries).
U18 is traditionally a weaker team for Canada (because CHL playoffs). If he's available then send him but man would he be misplaced out there. He tore up a U20.lol

I don't think he goes to either but he could pull it off and be successful!

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
U18 is traditionally a weaker team for Canada (because CHL playoffs). If he's available then send him but man would he be misplaced out there. He tore up a U20.lol

I don't think he goes to either but he could pull it off and be successful!

Now Now! Don't rain on my parade! Bedard to the Skodas! It has to happen.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
i'm throwing one name out here; Gavin McKenna...

CSSHL western championships (aka play-off championships) March 6th - 19th
U18 Prep 15th - 19th

That leaves him 1 month to prepare for the WJC u18.

Sure, Tigers are now at play-offs spot in the WHL due to winning 6 from their last 10 games
and collecting 15 points, so there's a chance that they would play play-off games,
but its still very uncertain future, Pats are 6th with 55, Tigers are 8th with 55, Wheat Kings are 10th with 52
Raiders 11th with 49.

After March 19, Tigers have 3 regular season games left (22nd, 24th, 25th),
McKenna most likely will play those games but if Tigers wont make it to the play-offs
he would be free to play for Canada u18 team..

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Here's sort of what we're looking at with Team Canada.

Forwards
Colby Barlow - Cal Ritchie - Matthew Wood
Andrew Cristall - Carson Rehkopf - Tanner Howe
Tyler Peddle - Luke Misa - Ethan Miedema
Berkly Catton (06) - Cole Burbidge - Oliver Tulk

13th Forward and Other Forward Options:
Justin Poirier (06)
Felix Lacerte (06)
Malcolm Spence (06)
Matthew Soto
Beckett Sennecke (06)
Porter Martone (06)
Ty Halaburda
Gavin Hodnett (06)
Ryder Ritchie (06)
Cayden Lindstrom (06)

Defense
Caden Price - Jordan Tourigny
Carter Yakemchuk - Andrew Gibson
Kaden Hammell - Mazden Leslie

7th Defender and Other Defender Options:
Marcus Kearsey (06)
Thomas Lavoie (06)
Quinton Burns
Luca Marrelli
Saige Weinstein

Goaltender
Carson Bjarnason

Other Goaltender Options
Mason Vaccari
Dawson Cowan
Joey Rocha

Comments:
- This is taking into account no real upsets in the opening rounds of the CHL playoffs.

- This is also not really looking at any of the 4/5 matchups in the CHL where Canada could get some really good players for this team like Hamilton's Nick Lardis, Guelph's Cam Allen, Moose Jaw's Brayden Yager, Prince George's Riley Heidt, Tri-City's Lukas Dragicevic. Odds are that Canada gets at least a couple of these guys.

- What does Chicago of the USHL do? Last year they let Adam Fantilli come despite entering the playoffs. Do they let Celebrini and Perron come this year?

- This is also operating under the assumption that if Regina is out, that Connor Bedard does not join the team at the U18's. Can't remember a player ever going backwards in the HC program (starring at the U20 level and then going to play U18). Could see his agency telling him to skip the event. But, he's also a pretty competitive kid who may ask to play to win a gold. I'd put it at a slim chance, but not utterly impossible.

- This team is going to be loaded with Left Wingers and Centers, but very, very few forwards comfortable playing the right side. What that means for roster construction I don't know, but a few talented kids are going to have to be asked to play their off wing.

- This team is absolutely loaded and has the potential to be one of the better Canadian teams we have sent to this event in the last decade or so.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This team is absolutely loaded and has the potential to be one of the better Canadian teams we have sent to this event in the last decade or so.
Outside of Bedard... how many key guys are missing? Is this a A minus team... a B team or a C quad similar to a Canada White, Red or Black (which is not a knock, country gets split into 3 squads, I call them C squads which may or may not be fair).

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
From the WHL baring a major 1st round upset should have these options:
G-Bjarnason, Rocha, Cowan
D-Price, Leslie, Weinstein, Hammell, Yakemchuk, Kipkie
F-Cristall, Howe, Basha, Catton, Tulk

PG plays Tri-City so will get 1 of Heidt/Dragicevic plus Tri-City also has McMillan+Gavin as options

Reactions: Dominance

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Outside of Bedard... how many key guys are missing? Is this a A minus team... a B team or a C quad similar to a Canada White, Red or Black (which is not a knock, country gets split into 3 squads, I call them C squads which may or may not be fair).

Not many at all. This definitely has the chance to be an A minus team. Not too often we see potential top three round players left off this roster but that’s likely this year. Just too much depth available.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Here's sort of what we're looking at with Team Canada.

Forwards
Colby Barlow - Cal Ritchie - Matthew Wood
Andrew Cristall - Carson Rehkopf - Tanner Howe
Tyler Peddle - Luke Misa - Ethan Miedema
Berkly Catton (06) - Cole Burbidge - Oliver Tulk

13th Forward and Other Forward Options:
Justin Poirier (06)
Felix Lacerte (06)
Malcolm Spence (06)
Matthew Soto
Beckett Sennecke (06)
Porter Martone (06)
Ty Halaburda
Gavin Hodnett (06)
Ryder Ritchie (06)
Cayden Lindstrom (06)

Defense
Caden Price - Jordan Tourigny
Carter Yakemchuk - Andrew Gibson
Kaden Hammell - Mazden Leslie

7th Defender and Other Defender Options:
Marcus Kearsey (06)
Thomas Lavoie (06)
Quinton Burns
Luca Marrelli
Saige Weinstein

Goaltender
Carson Bjarnason

Other Goaltender Options
Mason Vaccari
Dawson Cowan
Joey Rocha

Comments:
- This is taking into account no real upsets in the opening rounds of the CHL playoffs.

- This is also not really looking at any of the 4/5 matchups in the CHL where Canada could get some really good players for this team like Hamilton's Nick Lardis, Guelph's Cam Allen, Moose Jaw's Brayden Yager, Prince George's Riley Heidt, Tri-City's Lukas Dragicevic. Odds are that Canada gets at least a couple of these guys.

- What does Chicago of the USHL do? Last year they let Adam Fantilli come despite entering the playoffs. Do they let Celebrini and Perron come this year?

- This is also operating under the assumption that if Regina is out, that Connor Bedard does not join the team at the U18's. Can't remember a player ever going backwards in the HC program (starring at the U20 level and then going to play U18). Could see his agency telling him to skip the event. But, he's also a pretty competitive kid who may ask to play to win a gold. I'd put it at a slim chance, but not utterly impossible.

- This team is going to be loaded with Left Wingers and Centers, but very, very few forwards comfortable playing the right side. What that means for roster construction I don't know, but a few talented kids are going to have to be asked to play their off wing.

- This team is absolutely loaded and has the potential to be one of the better Canadian teams we have sent to this event in the last decade or so.
Funny enough, Bedard is the only one I can recall that played in a WJHC game and then played in the U-18 in the Spring, although I supposed this doesn't 'count' since the tournament was cancelled. But yeah, I can't see him playing this year.

Reactions: prongertheman9

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
OHL's top guys should be there in Ritchie and Barlow. Other guys like Luke Misa, Nick Lardis, Miedemia, and Cam Allen should be available as well.

Micheal Misa might make it as an 07 although Saginaw is up 2-1. Sennecke, Spence, Greentree, Cristoforo, and Danford are the top 06's.

BizzyBoy

Mar 24, 2023
Cristall - Wood - Barlow
Danielson - Ziemmer* - Heidt*
Lardis - Miedema - Squires
Tulk - McKenna(07) - Catton (06)
Howe
Brown
Poitras

Dragicevic* - Akey*
Gibson - Bertucci*
Allen* - Leslie
Burns - Price
Mann - Molendyk*

Bjarnnson
Cowan
D'Aigle (06)

D could be real thin of those high end guys get through to the next round. Up front will be fine - lots of high end talent and some nice skill in the bottom 6 as well - Would like to see McKenna here and not sure why nobody has Squires on this list. He was the first Q guy I had down. Stock is only rising on him

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I think Bedard will go if he's available, he said several times that he wants to play with Cristall, this is likely to be their only chance to play together for a few years.

Reactions: BizzyBoy

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I think Bedard will go if he's available, he said several times that he wants to play with Cristall, this is likely to be their only chance to play together for a few years.

What would be the point of him playing a 3rd. U18 tournament after demolishing the U20 tournament? To give and take a few passes from a childhood pal? I'm not buying it. Hockey Canada needs to include him with the NHLers to play at the mens world championship. That would be a better decision.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
What would be the point of him playing a 3rd. U18 tournament after demolishing the U20 tournament? To give and take a few passes from a childhood pal? I'm not buying it. Hockey Canada needs to include him with the NHLers to play at the mens world championship. That would be a better decision.
Last season, he played U18 and U20 in one offseason. It's not in conflict. I won't be surprised if he doesn't play, but I won't be surprised if he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad