Post-Game Talk: Team Canada World Champions. Gold game winners!!!

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Depends on how you look at it

Spezza for 7.5 M$ per season, 5 seasons with Dallas

379 Games 81 Goals 147 Assists 228 Points -46 (0.60 PPG)

Pretty similar to the Bobby Ryan overall PPG in Ottawa, who was criticized a lot while making a bit less (7.25)

Spezza had expressed that he wouldn't re-sign in Ottawa so they had to trade him instead of losing him as a UFA. We got some interesting pieces (but not as good as the initial Nashville trade that Spezza refused) but missed on the 2nd round pick (don't even remember who it was). Chiasson didn't work out as expected but has proved to be a solid support player after Ottawa. However, Nick Paul is a bottom-6 core piece IMO, a guy that should be with the Sens for several more years

It's not a trade that you "win" by any means but not the disaster that was painted by some people. Spezza was getting older, had an injury history and was going to be costly, plus he wanted a change of scenery
Would ahve just been nice to have the trade pay dividends 2-3 years earlier so that we could have "Nick Paul" of today during the EK runs.

Reactions: Xspyrit

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Funny thing is, everyone was getting mad they weren't getting overtime shifts, but instead the guys getting put out were Stepan and Anisimov
Wasn't our OT filled with White, Chabot and Tkachuk taking 75% of the time? With Tierney, Norris, Brown, and Brannstrom filling in for rests.

I mean, Stepan and Anisimov played 20 games each, not like they were often dressed for our OT.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Henrique in place of Tierney makes us so much better.

Lol I got torched for bringing this up in the Trade thread a couple weeks back. Only brought it up cause Mendes speculated it and I could absolutely see the Sens going for it. Now people like it, whatever at least when it eventually happens people won't completely hate it.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Unfortunately I never caught a game during the tournament. Notwithstanding Paul’s gold medal goal, how did he look in the tourney? I think that he is a very good player who just needs to consistently assert himself.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Unfortunately I never caught a game during the tournament. Notwithstanding Paul’s gold medal goal, how did he look in the tourney? I think that he is a very good player who just needs to consistently assert himself.
he looked good. Played his game. Showed some skill. Lots of hustle and reliable play. He was an important part of the team and he was leaned on.

Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Dave Reid said at the TSN wrap up show following the win that Nick Paul's improvement and the style of play reminded him of another past Senator, one Mark Stone. Ray Ferraro nodded his head to that comment. Not that Nick Paul has Stone's offence, but he is a smart guy and Dave Reid thinks this experience might propel Big Dick Nick offensively next season.

I have been saying Nick Paul has sneaky offence in the Sens roster. Valuable player in the post season a la Pageau.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Wasn't our OT filled with White, Chabot and Tkachuk taking 75% of the time? With Tierney, Norris, Brown, and Brannstrom filling in for rests.

I mean, Stepan and Anisimov played 20 games each, not like they were often dressed for our OT.

Naa. White isn't good enough for DJ to put out in OT. It is terrible when your 3C can't be trusted in OT or to kill a PP.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It all comes down to the alternative,

Anisimov, Stepan and Tierney combined for 3:12 in OT, Brown had 3:07 himself, and Paul had 6:21.

For Brown or Paul to get more time, it likely comes at the expense of Batherson, Tkachuk, Stützle or Dadonov. Also an opportunity for it to come from Dzingel.

Anisimov, Tierney and Stepan getting the limited time they did may have come at points where our options were more limited at center, Norris had some rough stretches early in the year, and we were trying to find guys who would win the faceoff.

Also, White barely played any OT, likely because he really struggled at the dot this year.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It all comes down to the alternative,

Anisimov, Stepan and Tierney combined for 3:12 in OT, Brown had 3:07 himself, and Paul had 6:21.

For Brown or Paul to get more time, it likely comes at the expense of Batherson, Tkachuk, Stützle or Dadonov. Also an opportunity for it to come from Dzingel.

Anisimov, Tierney and Stepan getting the limited time they did may have come at points where our options were more limited at center, Norris had some rough stretches early in the year, and we were trying to find guys who would win the faceoff.
Anisimov only played in 1 game with OT, Stepan played in 2 games with an OT. In those games, each guy got a regular shift in OT, over the other guys (Anisimov caused the Jets OT winner). Don't believe Paul or Brown saw anytime in those early games.

Can't remember Tierny ever getting OT icetime, so I'd guess he'd get a couple of seconds every other OT game in the 10 he played

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anisimov only played in 1 game with OT, Stepan played in 2 games with an OT. In those games, each guy got a regular shift in OT, over the other guys (Anisimov caused the Jets OT winner). Don't believe Paul or Brown saw anytime in those early games.

Can't remember Tierny ever getting OT icetime, so I'd guess he'd get a couple of seconds every other OT game in the 10 he played
Sure, I was coming at it from the angle of how do we get Brown more icetime, Stepan and Tieney mins aren't were that time is coming from imo, at least not if there's a faceoff to start the shift.

Not sure how many regular OT shifts you get in 28 secs and 47 secs total across a game or two respectively, but I do know the minute of extra OT Brown could have gotten from them wouldn't change the overall impression of Brown's usage in OT.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol I got torched for bringing this up in the Trade thread a couple weeks back. Only brought it up cause Mendes speculated it and I could absolutely see the Sens going for it. Now people like it, whatever at least when it eventually happens people won't completely hate it.

It's cause of the term and caphit. Henrique is still decent, he paced about 20 goals and 40 points for many years, but I believe we want something a bit more than decent sometime in the next 2-3 years especially if chewing almost 6 mil. Gotta think Pinto and Norrs could surpass him and we'd have 3rd liner making 6 mil. His faceoffs are quite good too. Pacing at 60% over last few years in PP and in key moments well above 50.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Dave Reid said at the TSN wrap up show following the win that Nick Paul's improvement and the style of play reminded him of another past Senator, one Mike Stone. Ray Ferraro nodded his head to that comment. Not that Nick Paul has Stone's offence, but he is a smart guy and Dave Reid thinks this experience might propel Big Dick Nick offensively next season.

I have been saying Nick Paul has sneaky offence in the Sens roster. Valuable player in the post season a la Pageau.

Lol this reminded me of this tweet:

Reactions: maclean

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
It's cause of the term and caphit. Henrique is still decent, he paced about 20 goals and 40 points for many years, but I believe we want something a bit more than decent sometime in the next 2-3 years especially if chewing almost 6 mil. Gotta think Pinto and Norrs could surpass him and we'd have 3rd liner making 6 mil. His faceoffs are quite good too. Pacing at 60% over last few years in PP and in key moments well above 50.

If the trade happens I'm sure Anaheim retains salary, or at least equal ish money going back out (Dadonov? although would like to keep him for another year to see if he rebounds)

I agree we should aim higher this move just has Sens written all over it though

Reactions: Cosmix

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Was Roberto late to the party or something, what an awkward picture...

He's such a selfless class act. I'm willing to bet he waited until the very end to take that pic after everyone else got a chance. Plus, he's also a lively character so good chance he just showing emotion for the pic.

Wish he won a cup, silver lining that at least canucks didnt win.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

This is worth a listen for more than what he has to say about Nick Paul.. Ferraro is a good analyst and says it like it is.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Was Roberto late to the party or something, what an awkward picture...

Lol, before I clicked on it and saw it was confetti I thought they were, like, already melting the ice. And that guy was coming to tell Luongo it's time to go home

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad