Team Canada Maple Leafs?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
May not have been '91 but I can't be the only one who remembers him in a Canada jersey?
More I think about it, I think it was an exhibition game and he never made the Team.
In fact, I'm pretty sure I was in the building.

Played games in the 1987 Canada Cup pre-tournament but did not make the final roster.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Played games in the 1987 Canada Cup pre-tournament but did not make the final roster.

I remember that. I believe I was in 7th grade and after Clark was cut Harold Ballard refused to allow any Canada Cup games to be played at Maple Leaf Gardens. That's why the final was held in Hamilton. At least that what I remember the adults saying back then.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
In the old days in preparation for the Canada Cup Team Canada used to hold a formal training camp and there were a lot of players invited. It wasn't like today where they name a team and that's it, unless there's an injury. There were actual cuts and battles for jobs.

In fact, my memory may be off, but I seem to recall them bringing enough players to camp to have almost two full rosters. The 1991 Team Canada training camp was held in Collingwood, not far from my home. I didn't attend, but several of my friends did and met many of the players.

I do recall that both Gary Leeman and Dave Ellett of the Leafs were at the training camp. There may have been more as well. Possibly Damphousse.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
:laugh:

after seeing how well defensively team canada played in the tournament, i can now understand why phaneuf was left off the roster. phaneuf's defensive ability isn't up to par with the 6 dmen who won the gold for us. even if phaneuf was selected, he probably would have been sat out like P.K. Subban.

If anything phaneufs defensive abilities have been his best attributes this season. He would have fit nice on that bottom pairing.

TobyWong

Jul 21, 2010
Amsterdam
Just for the record, the Canadian Olympic D (which many are calling one of the best defenses ever assembled) were beaten on multiple occasions throughout the tournament. Thankfully they had either forwards backchecking to help out or Price bailed them out. I want phaneuf haters to recognize that even the best D-men in the world get beaten occasionally because he gets eviscerated on here every time he makes a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad