Team Canada Maple Leafs?

tape to tape

Nov 26, 2011
In best on best tournaments since 1976, how many players on the Team Canada roster were also at the same time members of the Maple Leafs? 3?

Sittler, McDonald, and Joseph.

Is that the complete list?

Edit: Add Rick Vaive, 1984.

Edit: Bryan McCabe, 2006.

Last edited:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
curtis joseph 2002

was back-up to brodeur. also the third string goalie was belfour but he was playing for dallas at the time.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
dion phaneuf (2014) - in spirit.

:laugh:

after seeing how well defensively team canada played in the tournament, i can now understand why phaneuf was left off the roster. phaneuf's defensive ability isn't up to par with the 6 dmen who won the gold for us. even if phaneuf was selected, he probably would have been sat out like P.K. Subban.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Jonathan Bernier and Morgan Rielly (2018).

I can see into the future and the NHL does go to S. Korea.

tape to tape

Nov 26, 2011
curtis joseph 2002

was back-up to brodeur. also the third string goalie was belfour but he was playing for dallas at the time.

Yes, there have been several that played on Team Canada and then later played for the Leafs, like Maloney, Ramage, Gartner, Gilmour, Anderson, Corson, and Lindros. There are probably a few more you could add to that list.

Edit: Fuhr, Murphy

Edit: Nieuwendyk,

Edit: Courtnall played on the 91 team, but he was with Montreal by then. Cote played on the 96 team and he was with the Leafs for a year or so. Damphousse played on the 96 team, but he too was with Montreal by then.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
:laugh:

after seeing how well defensively team canada played in the tournament, i can now understand why phaneuf was left off the roster. phaneuf's defensive ability isn't up to par with the 6 dmen who won the gold for us. even if phaneuf was selected, he probably would have been sat out like P.K. Subban.

Phaneuf > Hamhuis

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
There is absolutely no way Hamhuis is better than Phaneuf, he should have been on team Canada

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Paul Henderson when he played for Canada in the Summit series vs Russia. Not only did he play for the team, he was the hero, scoring the winning goal with 34 seconds left in the game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There is absolutely no way Hamhuis is better than Phaneuf, he should have been on team Canada

We can moan all we want but it wasn't fans and it wasn't one person's opinion on who made Team Canada.

Don't forget they were trying to put together a team that could play together in short order that would buy into a defensive system.

Ask why Phaneuf might have been eliminated from discussions without thinking as a Leafs' fan.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No, not on roster list for 91.

All I could find was 85 WJC.

May not have been '91 but I can't be the only one who remembers him in a Canada jersey?
More I think about it, I think it was an exhibition game and he never made the Team.
In fact, I'm pretty sure I was in the building.

Last edited:

tape to tape

Nov 26, 2011
Paul Henderson when he played for Canada in the Summit series vs Russia. Not only did he play for the team, he was the hero, scoring the winning goal with 34 seconds left in the game.

Yes, if you want to include the 72 team on the list, Ron Ellis was on that team also.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I can't believe the lack of forwards we've had on best on best teams.

You would think Canada's team and Canada supplying the most NHLers to the league that more prominent ones would suit up for the Leafs.

One has to wonder if their is a correlation between the Leafs success and predominant Canadian born players, to get that extra intangible that Don Cherry always mentions.

I certainly wish that when Canada wins Championship that they would include Leafs contributing to that success as it adds to the experience because of the crossover of team support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad