OT: Team Canada Announces Olympic Roster (Many Former Oiler Greats)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I can understand all but Klinkhammer.

Kind of surprised Boychuk didn't make the cut.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The interesting thing I wonder about this tournament is whether some of these guys earn a second chance with all eyes on them. I'll be watching it pretty intently.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Man it's going to be VERY tough to cheer for Max Lapierre, I hope he's in the PB.

Edit: The blueline looks like it will be able to generate a lot of offense.

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
At least the team isn't a bunch of college kids facing the Soviet Red Army. But it's hard to say how the Olympic hockey tournament will look like.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Goaltending will let this team down. With all those stars our only weak point is goaltending.......

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I cant even pretend to be interested in watching a bum vs bum tourney. the world jr team could beat this team.

excited for the womens hockey the Olympic rivalry between can/usa is awesome.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
you know the Olympics are a bum tourney when you read this

"Defenceman Cale Makar, who starred for Canada at the World Juniors in Buffalo, declined an invitation from Hockey Canada to focus on his game at UMass-Amherst."

lol id rather go to school than go to the Olympics. harsh

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The IOC really botched this by changing an agreement that worked and trying to grab even more cash. One would think that the 2022 Olympics bid process would have demonstrated to them that there are consequences to their greed, and yet here we are.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Will be rooting hard for Brule, always liked him. Surprised Purcell didn't make it, but I gather a lot of these guys are putting up big numbers in their respective leagues.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The interesting thing I wonder about this tournament is whether some of these guys earn a second chance with all eyes on them. I'll be watching it pretty intently.

All eyes? Who the hell is going to want to watch a bunch of bottom 6 NHL burnouts and not even has-beens play? I'd rather watch curling

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Will be rooting hard for Brule, always liked him. Surprised Purcell didn't make it, but I gather a lot of these guys are putting up big numbers in their respective leagues.

You can see how everyone is doing in their respective leagues here, if you're curious.

Looks like the majority of the skaters are from the KHL. Some AHL, Swiss and Swedish league sprinkled in.

The goalies are interesting with Scrivens in the KHL, Peters in the German league and Poulin in the Polish league.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
you know the Olympics are a bum tourney when you read this

"Defenceman Cale Makar, who starred for Canada at the World Juniors in Buffalo, declined an invitation from Hockey Canada to focus on his game at UMass-Amherst."

lol id rather go to school than go to the Olympics. harsh
Probably a mix of that or he wants to help his Uni team win rather than miss a massive chunk of the season for 2 tournaments. I honestly have respect for that.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hockey is the only thing I watch Winter Olympics for, but if it’s not best in best, I have zero interest. I wish Russia was in so all the nhlers would have followed through on their promise to go to the olympics no matter what the nhl says.

Women’s hockey should be awesome though.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Will not support this mess they want to call Olympic hockey. Sorry.

I will show my disgust by not buying tickets or watching. I'll check out the scores/highlights when its gets close to the finals, but that's max.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I think our 2014 Olympic team was a better roster than this one, to be honest. So we will see.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
While I am utterly disgusted at the IOC and NHL for both being gigantic idiots and not making things work out for everybody, I actually think this will be an interesting tournament. I'll watch the games, especially as I'm not sure if I will be able to stomach anymore Oilers hockey this year. Guarantee the Olympic team will give more heart than the Oilers have this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad