WC: Team Canada 2024

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Canada won Gold after losing their first three round Robin games a couple of years ago, people freaking out because Binnington morphed into a pumpkin for one period should chill out
Hard to pin that solely on Binnington. He was left out to dry on like 4 of those 5 third period goals. You can really only blame him for the goal that made it 6-4.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hard to pin that solely on Binnington. He was left out to dry on like 4 of those 5 third period goals. You can really only blame him for the goal that made it 6-4.
At some point you'd want the goalie to make a save when he's left out to dry though. The defence plus goaltending as a whole was too laid back. This is a long tournament though and issues can be ironed out.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
At some point you'd want the goalie to make a save when he's left out to dry though. The defence plus goaltending as a whole was too laid back. This is a long tournament though and issues can be ironed out.

You don't usually need a goalie to save the win with a 6-1 lead but that's exactly what ended up happening and he didn't.

But as said, plenty of blame to go around for that 3rd period.

The best defence is still to keep the puck 60 feet away in the offensive zone.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You don't usually need a goalie to save the win with a 6-1 lead but that's exactly what ended up happening and he didn't.

But as said, plenty of blame to go around for that 3rd period.

The best defence is still to keep the puck 60 feet away in the offensive zone.
True but Canada wasn't hemmed in for most of that period or anything. Basically every Austrian chance resulted in a goal. Shouldn't matter much going forward but there is a lot to improve upon.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
True but Canada wasn't hemmed in for most of that period or anything. Basically every Austrian chance resulted in a goal. Shouldn't matter much going forward but there is a lot to improve upon.

That's fair, but I think with the way Canada was imposing their big physical cycle in the 2nd, they could have kept the chances even more to a minimum.

Anyway, the defence and the goalie need to be tested so it's a bit of a silver lining wake-up call anyway.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Early impressions:

-I think Guhle has been Canada's best defenceman. Aside from his blunder on the GTG against Austria, he's been solid, makes good decisions with the puck and as a result, has racked up the points. Byram showed some real puck poise as well.

-My concern around our D is that Power, Guhle, Severson, Parayko, Byram and Zellweger all seem to be the guy who want to make the big play, with Oleksiak as really the only stay-at-home type. We have a good puck-moving and mobile defence but they gamble a lot on the opposition blueline, and sometimes in our own zone when it comes to skating the puck out.

-Up front, no one has really stood out ahead of the rest. I think Tavares has quietly had a few good games, and was one of the few guys who was skating throughout the entire game.

-Dubois and Paul both have that ability to be redwood trees in the opposition zone, holding possession and waiting for outlets to move the puck while the opposition vainly tries to move them or knock them over. I don't know if these guys will be able to do that against the better competition in the tournament. Dubois and Paul have both been able to just bull their way into the slot or crease without anyone being able to stop them.

-Cozens came up big with the SHG in this game and always seems to play well with the Maple Leaf. He's almost like a new Ryan Smyth.

-A few guys have looked quick in transition, like McCann and Grieg today, but overall most of the scoring chances have come off the cycle. That's not a bad thing but I'd like to see better scoring chances when we have 3 or 4 wide. The cycle has undoubtedly benefited from our D standing up at the blueline as opposed to drifting back and managing the gap so it's certainly a double-edged sword.

-Guenther has played every game and I haven't seen him do too much - maybe I'm missing something. Tanev, McBain, Mercer have been kind of vanilla.

-Bedard's shot is otherwordly in terms of what a rocket it is, and I'm glad he's trying to get it off as much as possible. In general, he's often the most dangerous player on the ice with the puck on his stick, in past games making canny high IQ passes as well. In this one, however, he flubbed two of those top of the circle cross-ice passes which I really don't like on the PP. The pass is rarely fast enough to fool the goalie on the eventual shot, and there's a very high likelihood of it being picked off by the top forward, leading to an exit or even a potential breakaway if he can split the D. We've tried it a fair amount of times and it's never really worked. I'd rather we try to move the puck down low for the bumper play or the shot in the circle.

-The team has won all of its games and aside from some 3rd period hijinks and some laziness in defensive zone coverage, hasn't really been challenged that much or pinned in our own zone for long periods. I'm curious to see if Canada can raise their level of play in accordance with the opposition.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Early impressions:

-I think Guhle has been Canada's best defenceman. Aside from his blunder on the GTG against Austria, he's been solid, makes good decisions with the puck and as a result, has racked up the points. Byram showed some real puck poise as well.

-My concern around our D is that Power, Guhle, Severson, Parayko, Byram and Zellweger all seem to be the guy who want to make the big play, with Oleksiak as really the only stay-at-home type. We have a good puck-moving and mobile defence but they gamble a lot on the opposition blueline, and sometimes in our own zone when it comes to skating the puck out.

-Up front, no one has really stood out ahead of the rest. I think Tavares has quietly had a few good games, and was one of the few guys who was skating throughout the entire game.

-Dubois and Paul both have that ability to be redwood trees in the opposition zone, holding possession and waiting for outlets to move the puck while the opposition vainly tries to move them or knock them over. I don't know if these guys will be able to do that against the better competition in the tournament. Dubois and Paul have both been able to just bull their way into the slot or crease without anyone being able to stop them.

-Cozens came up big with the SHG in this game and always seems to play well with the Maple Leaf. He's almost like a new Ryan Smyth.

-A few guys have looked quick in transition, like McCann and Grieg today, but overall most of the scoring chances have come off the cycle. That's not a bad thing but I'd like to see better scoring chances when we have 3 or 4 wide.

-Guenther has played every game and I haven't seen him do too much - maybe I'm missing something.

-Bedard's shot is otherwordly in terms of what a rocket it is, and I'm glad he's trying to get it off as much as possible. In general, he's often the most dangerous player on the ice with the puck on his stick, in past games making canny high IQ passes as well. In this one, however, he flubbed two of those top of the circle cross-ice passes which I really don't like on the PP. The pass is rarely fast enough to fool the goalie on the eventual shot, and there's a very high likelihood of it being picked off by the top forward, leading to an exit or even a potential breakaway if he can split the D. We've tried it a fair amount of times and it's never really worked. I'd rather we try to move the puck down low for the bumper play or the shot in the circle.

-The team has won all of its games and aside from some 3rd period hijinks and some laziness in defensive zone coverage, hasn't really been challenged that much or pinned in our own zone for long periods. I'm curious to see if Canada can raise their level of play in accordance with the opposition.
Nice job.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
At this point of the tournament, top teams tend to play down to their opponents. The sooner we move on from the easy games, the better off Canada will be. Looking forward to Saturday.

Reactions: jj cale

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Early impressions:

-A few guys have looked quick in transition, like McCann and Grieg today, but overall most of the scoring chances have come off the cycle. That's not a bad thing but I'd like to see better scoring chances when we have 3 or 4 wide. The cycle has undoubtedly benefited from our D standing up at the blueline as opposed to drifting back and managing the gap so it's certainly a double-edged sword.

-Guenther has played every game and I haven't seen him do too much - maybe I'm missing something.

Parayko needs to accept what kind of player he is. Bedard is an underrated passer in my opinion, but he still has work to do to figure out how to make use of his shot. Which is a pretty lazy critique considering he is 18.

Reactions: wetcoast and NyQuil

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Shit, Darren Dutcheshen has passed away, gonna miss that guy.

R.I.P Dutch
Did he have a wife? Kids?

Edit : "Dutchyshen is survived by his wife Candice and three children: Paige, Tyler and Brett. TSN says it plans to honour him by inviting close friends and co-workers to share stories about him and his legendary career over the coming days."

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I've said and I'll repeat that these guys need to try having a little fun out there. Nobody celebrates, even after a really nice play, and that's too bad. They all just need to lighten up a bit.

And also, why are they making every goalie look like the second coming of Dominik Hasek (who @Czechboy just keeps saying was solely responsible for every Czech success, including, weirdly, their 1947 and 1949 gold medals at the world championships)?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And also, why are they making every goalie look like the second coming of Dominik Hasek (who @Czechboy just keeps saying was solely responsible for every Czech success, including, weirdly, their 1947 and 1949 gold medals at the world championships)?

I read somewhere that Hasek also won the Golden Globe and Oscar for best International Feature Film, Kolya, in 1997.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
next olympics, we may get a center line of McDavid, Crosby and Bedard. That's something.

I think it is good for the sport that Canada isnt an immediate clinch for the finals. I also think that we will need to make changes to our program to match some of the european programs (ex: allowing certain prospects having the option to play in the AHL earlier)

Also, what is with our goalies? Brodeur and Roy ensured to inspire a few generation's worth of goalie talent in Canada (Quebec especially), but that's so far gone now!

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Time for the games to get interesting. I'll get up, tomorrow, early for a Saturday, and watch Canada / Finland. Hopefully the game will be fun and we'll see some of the young players excel.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Canada won Gold after losing their first three round Robin games a couple of years ago, people freaking out because Binnington morphed into a pumpkin for one period should chill out
That is precisely the balancing act in this tournament. As far as I can remember, Canda would have been eliminated from this tournament and wouldn't have reached the QF if Kazakhstan hadn't lost to Norway in the last game of the round robin. So you can see that it's a fine line between total success and miserable failure

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That is precisely the balancing act in this tournament.
That AND the refereeing.

NOTE TO SELF :

The tournament is fun and entertaining and that's the way it should be seen but, with the refereeing the way it is, it is best not to take it too seriously!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad