WC: Team Canada 2024

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd rather not bother with Huberdeau at this point. His talent is better than his numbers but at this point he won't be on a best on best team and I'm not sure what he has to pass on to younger players. If he goes then I hope he plays tremendously but it would have been nice five years ago or so. I'd mainly like a good centre that Bedard can play RW with.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Huberdeau doesn't exactly excite me either, I dunno, just doesn't seem like a winner to me.

Hoping to get the news regarding Crosby tomorrow, essential to teach Bedard some things, and he's a quick learner.

Reactions: novisor

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Room for guys like Benson and Neighbors then.
Who the hell were we ever holding out for that would push these two guys out of our best 12 forwards? We should jump at the opportunity for both right now if they are willing.

Team Canada brass acting like Neighbors and his 27 goals this season might not be good enough for this team is pure delusion.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I'd rather not bother with Huberdeau at this point. His talent is better than his numbers but at this point he won't be on a best on best team and I'm not sure what he has to pass on to younger players. If he goes then I hope he plays tremendously but it would have been nice five years ago or so. I'd mainly like a good centre that Bedard can play RW with.
If he's one of the 12 best forwards available to us, he should be there. Winning this tournament should be an end in and of itself, not just a means to an end (development for future tournaments).

With no "true" best-on-best for over a decade, WHC basically is the pinnacle of international hockey right now. With the team the USA is putting together, it should still mean something to us to show that they haven't caught us and especially haven't surpassed us in both top end talent and depth if our B team is still better than their B team.

Reactions: garbageteam

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Who the hell were we ever holding out for that would push these two guys out of our best 12 forwards? We should jump at the opportunity for both right now if they are willing.

Team Canada brass acting like Neighbors and his 27 goals this season might not be good enough for this team is pure delusion.
They were holding out for guys like Tippett, Konecny, Kadri etc. Guys that are or they think are more high end. I get that but unfortunately it didn't come to pass. All the teams do it if they are in that position, same reason the U.S waited to hear abut a guy like Faber instead of slotting in some other player earlier.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
If he's one of the 12 best forwards available to us, he should be there. Winning this tournament should be an end in and of itself, not just a means to an end (development for future tournaments).

With no "true" best-on-best for over a decade, WHC basically is the pinnacle of international hockey right now. With the team the USA is putting together, it should still mean something to us to show that they haven't caught us and especially haven't surpassed us in both top end talent and depth if our B team is still better than their B team.

I've agreed with this line of thinking whether there are any Olympics, World Cup or whatever 'best on best' the NHL conjures up in the background. You go to a tournament to win it, not worrying about prepping "for the future".

It'd be different altogether if we were in a situation where the best players were routinely actually going and we were getting some burnout like what's happening with international soccer, but that is far from the case for hockey. You don't exclude a player who's among the top available starter for his position (14F, 8D, 3G) just because you want to give a 19 year old a chance; that's what the junior competitions are for.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Just because the iihf puts on a tournament doesn't mean Canada should take a less pragmatic approach to the tournaments that do matter. If a guy doesn't figure into future plans and doesn't really bring much to teach those who do I don't see much point in bringing him. It would be different if Huberdeau had played like an elite player sometime recently but that hasn't been the case. I also don't especially care what USA does. The Canadian players need to play to win, the management team needs to play the long game.

I'd be good with Zellweger going, excellent puck mover.

Reactions: ORRFForever

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
I am hopeful. Last time i had tickets for CAN vs AUT in Vienna and the World championship in Prague, he showed up. This time i have tickets again 😉...
Sid's a legend and a true professional. He'll probably take the opportunity to play a few games with a few olympia hopefuls to have every competitive advantage he can get. At least that's what i want to believe haha

Reactions: jj cale

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Not a huge fan of Oleksiak, but there are some good names being added. I think Canada will have some balanced scoring and a solid goalie in Binnington. That isa a good foundation at this level.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I’m thinking it’s going to turn out to be a lean year for talent. We’ve got some good bones, so it’ll all matter how well they gel and play together.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm hoping Av's and Bruins get eliminated ASAP.

Then we could have the 3 Nova Scotia boys playing. If Sid said he was going I'm sure Brad and Nathan would go.

Reactions: MatBarzal

Great99

Apr 12, 2016

Then we could have the 3 Nova Scotia boys playing. If Sid said he was going I'm sure Brad and Nathan would go.
I think that's a "Fan" thinking mode

16 of may most 1 rounds will we done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad