WC: Team Canada 2024

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
With the days passing by, I think that a "yes" from any big players (Crosby, Huberdeau) would have been picked up by some of the known journalists. Therefore, unfornunately it could look like a no-show.

Under those the rest on the list is kind of "B-" (Mangiapane, Tippett), "C" (Fabbri, Bunting, Frost, Sanheim) or youths (Guenther, Fantilli, Foerster, Benson, Zary, Greig, Walman++).

With the notice that not one player from Arizona/Utah has been elected by any country yet, it seems like they are locked up for now for understandable reasons.

With all this in mind, I think its ok to wait for the first teams to come out of the playoffs before releasing any squad as

Isles is 0-3
Tampa Bay is 0-3
Caps is 0-3
Dallas is under 0-2 after two home games.

This could open up players like Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Pelech, Pulock, Strome, McMichael, Hagel, Cirelli, Duclair, Point, Stamkos, Johnston, Stankoven, Wedgewood, Harley, Benn, Duchene, Seguin ++.

When looking on that list I kind of understand why Rick Nash and the others choose to wait a bit as they are missing a good couple of players especially in the Top 9.

McCANN - X - BEDARD
X - COZENS - X
MERCER - X - X
TANEV - X - X
CELEBRINI

Defense is better locked with

BYRAM - PARAYKO
POWER - (GUHLE)
OLEKSIAK - Zellweger?

But a couple of Isles on D would have made it even stronger and better.

Then Wedgewood could take the spot behind Binnington in goal.

Barzel is an interesting name on that list. He’s been skating in the summers with Bedard since Bedard was 12. You think there’s any chance Barzel would play for Canada just to get a chance to play with Bedard on a real team for the first time?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Barzel is an interesting name on that list. He’s been skating in the summers with Bedard since Bedard was 12. You think there’s any chance Barzel would play for Canada just to get a chance to play with Bedard on a real team for the first time?
It's a shame the Islanders are down 3-0. They deserve so much better. On the plus side, it makes a LOT of high quality Canadian players available. Now we just need to convince them to go. :)

Reactions: ameselare

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
I can't imagine him declining the invite. Barzal, Dobson, and Horvat would be huge additions for this team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With the days passing by, I think that a "yes" from any big players (Crosby, Huberdeau) would have been picked up by some of the known journalists. Therefore, unfornunately it could look like a no-show.

Under those the rest on the list is kind of "B-" (Mangiapane, Tippett), "C" (Fabbri, Bunting, Frost, Sanheim) or youths (Guenther, Fantilli, Foerster, Benson, Zary, Greig, Walman++).

With the notice that not one player from Arizona/Utah has been elected by any country yet, it seems like they are locked up for now for understandable reasons.

With all this in mind, I think its ok to wait for the first teams to come out of the playoffs before releasing any squad as

Isles is 0-3
Tampa Bay is 0-3
Caps is 0-3
Dallas is under 0-2 after two home games.

This could open up players like Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Pelech, Pulock, Strome, McMichael, Hagel, Cirelli, Duclair, Point, Stamkos, Johnston, Stankoven, Wedgewood, Harley, Benn, Duchene, Seguin ++.

When looking on that list I kind of understand why Rick Nash and the others choose to wait a bit as they are missing a good couple of players especially in the Top 9.

McCANN - X - BEDARD
X - COZENS - X
MERCER - X - X
TANEV - X - X
CELEBRINI

Defense is better locked with

BYRAM - PARAYKO
POWER - (GUHLE)
OLEKSIAK - Zellweger?

But a couple of Isles on D would have made it even stronger and better.

Then Wedgewood could take the spot behind Binnington in goal.

I agree that if a name of Crosby's size was going it would have leaked by now. If I'm wrong that's great but at Crosby's age and with his contributions already I certainly would not hold it against him to turn this tournament down every year.

I don’t agree.

I’ve been pumped about some of our teams in the past.

Yeah it's nonsense to say that Canadian fans are particularly pessimistic. To a degree Canada has been unique because as the most talented country there are more names every year to cite when it comes to missing players, but people get excited for the loaded teams. People were very optimistic before 2015 as well as some less successful years like 2013 and 2012. There are sometimes unrealistic expectations as a team does not need to be loaded to win this tournament.

Reactions: wetcoast

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
Either the Canadians really assemble the squad in the strictest secrecy, or simply all the best hockey players refused and they have to form a team based on the residual principle..

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
The optimistic version:

Huberdeau - Crosby - Bedard
Horvat - Barzal - Kozens
Tippett - McCann - Guenther
Neighbors - McMichael - Mercer

Power - Parayko
Byram - Dobson
Oleksiak - Severson

Binnington, Ingram

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I guess we will get an announcement at some point that just list the whole team at once.
^^ That is the best approach. ^^

And the players who are NOT chosen will react accordingly...

1714407483971.png

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I can't recall a version of Team Canada that is waiting for the end of the first round to get so many players as this year.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I can't recall a version of Team Canada that is waiting for the end of the first round to get so many players as this year.
Don't they have more time this year?

I don't follow the WC's very closely but there seems to be more of a gap between the beginning of the playoffs and the start of the WC's. Maybe I'm wrong.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Don't they have more time this year?

I don't follow the WC's very closely but there seems to be more of a gap between the beginning of the playoffs and the start of the WC's. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm not aware of any extra time, perhaps there is. guys like Marner and Reilly should be in the mix soon by the looks of it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm not aware of any extra time, perhaps there is. guys like Marner and Reilly should be in the mix soon by the looks of it.
Yes, if Canada needs someone to throw a tantrum on the bench, Marner will come in handy. ;)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yes, if Canada needs someone to throw a tantrum on the bench, Marner will come in handy. ;)
Ha!!

I'll take him in a second tantrums or not. I know Leaf fans can't stop taking a dump on him now but there is no denying the skill he's got and this is a far less physical tournament then the Stanley Cup playoffs, We need his talent here.

This is the skodas, a different brand of hockey.

Reactions: ORRFForever

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No thanks on Strome. I'd take Wilson for the curiosity of seeing him internationally, and I fully expect that he will be invited given that he was shortlisted for the 2022 Olympic team.

Reactions: jj cale

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
With the Caps getting the boot, I'd be cool with McMicheal coming on board.

Have to think at this point though that a lot of the big names available have said no and therefore Nash is waiting to see which teams get quickly dispatched before being forced to choose from the table scraps currently at his disposal.

Isles for sure seem like the biggest prize down 3-1 and with Barzal, Dobson, Pulock, Horvat, Pelech in play.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad