Team Canada 2022 Coach & GM

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So if all goes well we will finally get best on best hockey back in 2022 and be able to see the leagues stars face off for Gold.

Since Babcock is no longer coaching (and it was unlikely he'd coach them a third time), Team Canada is uncharted territory. From 2004-2016 he was coach at some of the biggest tournaments for Canada, minus the 2006 Olympics.

They may go with Yzerman again in 2022, but they may feel its time to hand the reigns over to someone new.

Possible picks for coach - Jon Cooper (though Team USA could go after him as he's a dual citizen), Barry Trotz, Craig Berube, Bruce Cassidy, Gerard Gallant.

Possible GM picks - Yzerman, Doug Armstrong, Sean Burke (gained a lot of people attention w/ how well TC did in 2018), Brian MacLellan.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So if all goes well we will finally get best on best hockey back in 2022 and be able to see the leagues stars face off for Gold.

Since Babcock is no longer coaching (and it was unlikely he'd coach them a third time), Team Canada is uncharted territory. From 2004-2016 he was coach at some of the biggest tournaments for Canada, minus the 2006 Olympics.

They may go with Yzerman again in 2022, but they may feel its time to hand the reigns over to someone new.

Possible picks for coach - Jon Cooper (though Team USA could go after him as he's a dual citizen), Barry Trotz, Craig Berube, Bruce Cassidy, Gerard Gallant.

Possible GM picks - Yzerman, Doug Armstrong, Sean Burke (gained a lot of people attention w/ how well TC did in 2018), Brian MacLellan.
They don't list who the GM would be, however theScore predicted Jon Cooper to be the Coach in their projection lineup for Team Canada.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Yzerman would be given the opportunity again. His reputation is still high and it's not as if he's one of the old guard. I could see Cooper getting the nod if it's Yzerman, though personally someone like Berube or Cassidy would be intriguing.

Also, that score article is out to lunch if they don't think at least one of Couts or ROR (likely Couts) makes the team to be the matchup center in the former Toews role

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Yzerman would be given the opportunity again. His reputation is still high and it's not as if he's one of the old guard. I could see Cooper getting the nod if it's Yzerman, though personally someone like Berube or Cassidy would be intriguing.
I know looking at the Red Wings current roster most likely none of their Canadian players would make Team Canada in 2022. However I thought Yzerman didn't want to be the GM again because of what happened when he originally didn't select Martin St. Louis for the 2014 team which lead to him asking for a trade, even though he was eventually put on the team in place of Steven Stamkos.

Reactions: Voight

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Alain Vigneault.

He did a good job in the Worlds they just got unlucky not to win the Gold medal game that they dominated.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I know looking at the Red Wings current roster most likely none of their Canadian players would make Team Canada in 2022. However I thought Yzerman didn't want to be the GM again because of what happened when he originally didn't select Martin St. Louis for the 2014 team which lead to him asking for a trade, even though he was eventually put on the team in place of Steven Stamkos.

I knew there was an issue with the selection but I didn't remember Yzerman saying anything about not doing it again. If he doesn't want to do it then that changes things obviously, but I think he'd get asked first at least.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Doug Armstrong was the GM of the champion World Cup team that dominated in 2016 and has since added a Stanley Cup to his resume. He would be my bet.

Coaching-wise, I could see Quenneville, Trotz, Julien, and Cooper all being options. Q would be my top bet though.

GM: Armstrong
HC: Quenneville

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I knew there was an issue with the selection but I didn't remember Yzerman saying anything about not doing it again. If he doesn't want to do it then that changes things obviously, but I think he'd get asked first at least.
I agree he should be asked first because when NHL players last went to the Olympics it was Canada who last won the Gold. It's why in 2006 Wayne Gretzky and everyone else was brought back from the 2002 team, so it makes sense since Yzerman brought everyone else back from the 2010 team when they won in 2014. Although would that mean having Mike Babcock be the Coach once again?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think Yzerman will turn down the GM job as he's been there, done that, bought the tshirt. It'll probably come down to an OBC selection or Joe Sakic. The coaching staff will be selected by the GM obviously, but I'd like to see Brind'amour get a shot.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think you have to go with Bruce Cassidy and Dave Tippett as assistant coaches, running the PP and PK respectively -- their teams both battled it out for the #1 PP and #1 PK this year. Utter dominance at special teams.

As for the head coach, I think Cooper or Trotz are great. Honestly there are so many ways to go about it that it would be too hard to really decide. It's personal preference of the GM.

If Doug Armstrong runs the team, I wouldn't mind Berube running the show. If Yzerman runs it, then Cooper makes sense as well. I don't see how you leave off Cassidy and Tippett though in some capacity.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I think Yzerman would get the GM position. As for coach, I have no frickin' idea

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Why is it assumed they wouldn't give him another chance after winning gold the last two times? Seeing how Team Canada tends to let people wear their welcomes out first, I'd think he's still a front runner.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
As a blues fan, i dont think berube is a good pick for a true best on best tournament coach. his strength is he gets the best out of most players and they want to win for him. however in the olympics, i dont think that is the best option, i cant see him having that big of an effect on a team of superstars.

i think hed maybe be a good assistant or something in that scenario.

doug armstrong should def be considered for GM though

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
GM: Doug Armstrong

Stevie Y will play a big role too I Presume

Coach: Cassidy would be my pick

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
As a Canadian Avs fan the only thing I care about is I get to watch McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, and Makar play on the same team.

upload_2020-7-2_17-27-56.gif

Reactions: al secord

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why is it assumed they wouldn't give him another chance after winning gold the last two times? Seeing how Team Canada tends to let people wear their welcomes out first, I'd think he's still a front runner.

PC crowd will have a fit. I don't disagree that he should be coach, but they will give into media pressure.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman said he wasn't interested in continuing in the post right after the last NHL Olympics.

"It's time to let someone else have a shot at it,"

https://www.si.com/olympics/2014/02/23/steve-yzerman-team-canada-gm

I don't believe he will take another turn at it this time. I can see him consulting, but I don't think he will take the lead role and he did say that after Russia in terms of he felt he had done the job and somebody else should have a chance.

Reactions: Voight

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yzerman might hop in as an adviser but I'm guessing Armstrong is the GM. Yzerman will have a role similar to what guys like Holland had way back in 2010.

If Cooper doesnt win between now and then, I could see Canada going with someone like Q who has won and can command more respect in the room. I think players on a team that stacked will listen to a guy with as many Ws and cups like Quennville has over the guy whose a new age coach that has really only coached teams that cant get over the hump

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Interesting that you suggested Gallant over the guy that just took his job. I could definitely see Deboer there in some capacity depending on how these couple seasons go.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd guess Armstrong for GM and Quenneville for coach. Quenneville has very little international experience though, which is somewhat surprising. I thought that he had none at all but a search indicates that he was on Babcock's staff at the 2016 world cup event. You'd like to see a coach with a demonstrated international record get it but Quenneville has done enough in the NHL to get a look. Babcock would be a good coach for the team but he probably isn't worth the baggage that would accompany his selection. Bill Peters has a pretty good international record but that obviously isn't happening. I didn't like how Cooper's team played at the 2017 IIHF WC and I'm not sure if he is a good coach or just the coach of a good roster. I didn't love how Vigneault's team played at the 2019 WC but it wasn't terrible either. Trotz wouldn't be a bad pick because he does at least have experience as an assistant coach with Canada multiple times and he's clearly a good coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad