Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Senators pick?

• Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, F, Mora IK (SWE)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfons Freij, D, Vaxjo (SWE)

• Adam Jiricek, D, HC Plzen (Cze)

• Beckett Sennecke, RW, Oshawa (OHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
He has tremendous edges and skill, his breakout pass is also elite. Secondly all the teams with big D cores are winning and going deep into the playoffs. He has all the tools to be an all around every situation D man. If anything the NHL is prioritizing size again. His development curve is going to be a longer one, the tools are tantalizing.

Look at the difference of how Vancouver is handling Mcdavid and L.A. Vancouver has a monster D core outside of their elite puck movers who skate very well. L.A was on the smallish side and he ate them up. He even talked about how hard it was to play against.

RE: Yakemchuck

He's not a shut-down D. He's a big offensive D-man who gets lost in his own end. A mean Evan Bouchard type player. Highly valuable but not my pick when other D are inevitably on the board.

I should qualify my take as saying I prefer Silayev as a shut-down D. As an offensive D, I prefer Buuim, because I think his hockey IQ will help him in his own end. He was great on this front in the Frozen Four this year. A rock defensively in a high pressure situation .

If it's Parekh vs Yakemchuck, I prefer Parekh but am fine with either.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think Parekh is chosen based on being RD and high end skill. I'm not really sure I'd love that pick though, nor do I think it really moves the needle much for the team. We need less d-men that are on the smaller end / purely offensive. To me those players have high bust potential and we've seen guys like Barrie/Krug generally don't perform well in the playoffs.

If we're picking D, bigger is better so long as they can skate. Personally think we are desperately in need of high end forwards. The problem is going to get worse when Giroux retires. Probably need two top 6 guys in the short-term.

The thing is if the scouting staff views Parekh as the BPA they we can always move Chabot in a couple years and replace him with more of a defensive guy.

It's a lot easier to find a defensive LD than a defensive RD. Wouldn't be that difficult to make a swap that keeps the D balanced.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anyone have the sparksnotes on Silayev?
He huge.
Great skater,
Offense might not translate at the NHL level
Already getting lots of mins in a men's league as a defense first defender.

Trivia: current team mate of Igor Larionov, son of former Det great Igor Larionov.

Reactions: BigRig4 and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
RE: Yakemchuck

He's not a shut-down D. He's a big offensive D-man who gets lost in his own end. A mean Evan Bouchard type player. Highly valuable but not my pick when other D are inevitably on the board.

I should qualify my take as saying I prefer Silayev as a shut-down D. As an offensive D, I prefer Buuim, because I think his hockey IQ will help him in his own end. He was great on this front in the Frozen Four this year. A rock defensively in a high pressure situation .

If it's Parekh vs Yakemchuck, I prefer Parekh but am fine with either.
Defensive zone positioning can be taught but he is not like Bouchard in a few ways. He competes very hard and battles for pucks he's also bigger. They are very different in that regard. Its about projecting out he is a physical player that is still developing. There isnt a lack of commitment to the defensive zone, he is just vary raw.

Reactions: Icelevel and WallyD

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
He huge.
Great skater,
Offense might not translate at the NHL level
Already getting lots of mins in a men's league as a defense first defender.

Trivia: current team mate of Igor Larionov, son of former Det great Igor Larionov.

With Silayev, the question is almost more "what kind of offence might eventually be there?", because he doesn't really have an offensive game right now.

With guys like Yakemchuk, Parekh or Dickinson, we kind of can see what they do and it's a matter of projecting their skillsets and styles to the NHL. With Silayev, it's more theoretical - what kind of offence might emerge from a guy with his size, mobility and functional puck skills? Chara, to use a best case example, wasn't producing offence as a prospect, but he was such a unicorn athletically that he turned a fairly modest offensive skillset into 40-50 points and 10-20 goals a season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
1. Yakemchuk missed the last draft by a couple of days which makes him older than a lot of the kids in this draft which could mean he is also closer to being NHL ready, we'll see. He also played for an offensively challenged Calgary Hitmen team & he managed to be second in scoring. Having a better team, teammates & partner helps a player be more productive & hide some flaws.

2. Ottawa has a young team & prospects seem to be getting NHL jobs much sooner than in the past. When we look at Ottawa's right side there is Zub, JBD & Hamonic & unless they sign a UFA RD it doesn't seem that hard to surpass the guy's on the right side & Hamonic will be gone this yr or next. I'm not sure that Ott has another RD in their org that might be better long term like Guennette or Matinpalo either than what Yachemchuk could be & I would wager Yakemchuk is already tougher than both. If they get a RD during free agency how long he signs for will be interesting.

3. Who is the BPA at 7th OA? You could get a dozen different answers to that question on here & you could get numerous different opinions from NHL scouts as well based on what they like in a player. Bouchard went 10th in the 2018 draft & Dobson went 12th, I imagine they would go a lot sooner in a redraft but we would take either right now. Right shot D are very valuable in the NHL, especially big guys who can skate & bring some offence & have a mean streak, Yakemchuk had 120 minutes in penalties, that will have to be reined in a little, but he isn't afraid to drop them either.

4. Yakemchuk RD had as many pts as Dickinson LD, who knows how offensively gifted Silayev is or is not. Parekh seems to be offensively gifted, but we already have Sanderson who is not going anywhere in the next 8 yrs, Chabot who has 4 more yrs, Chychrun could be gone this summer & Brannstrom whether they keep him or not is a PMD too. Parekh is more of the same & IMO I think they want something different that we don't have, that we need & Yakemchuk could be closer to being NHL ready than people think. Who knows with 18 yr old kids.

5. It will also be interesting whether these are Steve Staois picks or the scouting staff put together by the old regime. Will these scouts still be here after the draft or will Staois start to build his own scouting department? Should also be interesting to watch.
Interesting views. I expect additional changes in the scouting staff going forward under Staios. Parehk is an interesting prospect; he might turn out to be another Erik Karlsson, or not.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So, having just missed last year's draft may mean he's physically closer, but my understanding is his all round game is further away than any of the other D, but generally speaking, I consider being one of the oldest kids in the draft a detriment rather than a positive, for me he needs to be clearly better than a kid born in 2006 like Dickenson or Silayev.

As for Ottawa introducing kids sooner, I don't expect that to continue with Staios at the helm, I think it's a big reason why we're so inconsistent,

In terms of who is BPA, I tend to agree there are a lot of viable options which is why Yakemchuk, and Parekh for that matter, are seeing a bit of a boost from being RHD, Dickenson tends to be ahead of both on most public lists but trails here.

You mention Yakemchuk scored as much as Dickenson but Dickenson is about 9 months younger and by most accounts much better defensively. I honestly don't see Yakemchuk as very different, more physical I suppose.

I can't see Staios overriding the scouts. He's likely to tell them what kind of team he wants to build but Staios isn't a scout so I figure he'll trust his guys. I could see Bowness weighing in though.
Has Bowness been out scouting the potential first round picks?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With Silayev, the question is almost more "what kind of offence might eventually be there?", because he doesn't really have an offensive game right now.

With guys like Yakemchuk, Parekh or Dickinson, we kind of can see what they do and it's a matter of projecting their skillsets and styles to the NHL. With Silayev, it's more theoretical - what kind of offence might emerge from a guy with his size, mobility and functional puck skills? Chara, to use a best case example, wasn't producing offence as a prospect, but he was such a unicorn athletically that he turned a fairly modest offensive skillset into 40-50 points and 10-20 goals a season.
If he was in the OHL he would be scoring lots of points. The levels they are playing at are polar opposites. Same with his opportunity he is getting and there are very few secondary assists. This really hurts d men. His individual skill is better than Dickinson.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Yakemchuk and Helenuis will be almost stars in NHL. The rest of the group...meh. Silayev is not going to adjust well to the NHL game and will be in AHL and then going back home. Dickinson is a dark horse. Parekh is huge gamble will be hurt a lot to be a star and will not be a defensive stalwart.

• Haha
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
If he was in the OHL he would be scoring lots of points. The levels they are playing at are polar opposites. Same with his opportunity he is getting and there are very few secondary assists. This really hurts d men. His individual skill is better than Dickinson.
I am curious, how do you explain his production in the MHL playoffs? He had 3 points in 10 games.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022

Carter Yakemchuk, RD, Calgary Hitmen (WHL)​

How much Chuk can a Sens team Chuk if a Sens team Sens team can Chuk Chuk... All things being equal (they're not), I'll take all the Chuks we can get, if only for entertainment purposes! :cool:

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

I'm not there yet with Silayev, but I'm also pretty sure I like Dickinson more than you do.

Obviously Silayev would be producing way more in the OHL than he does in the KHL, but I still think his offensive potential is all about projection, rather than translating an existing skillset to a higher level of play.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm not there yet with Silayev, but I'm also pretty sure I like Dickinson more than you do.

Obviously Silayev would be producing way more in the OHL than he does in the KHL, but I still think his offensive potential is all about projection, rather than translating an existing skillset to a higher level of play.
I don’t care about offence if I can get a massive, mean, great skating D.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I don’t feel qualified to vote, I hope BPA in the actual draft is RHD
Yes, that age old debate of BPA vs NEED... Both approaches can easily be supported, argued for. IMO, BPA gives the team optimal overall asset value but needs should not be ignored.

This may sounds like fence sitting, but IMO the team should take the best player available provided team needs are strongly considered, strengths and weaknesses. Drafting at LHD as BPA would just pour gasoline on the Sens need fire. Then again, it could also mean management has plans to lessen that over-strength through roster moves. Only mgt know what they intend to do off-season.

An example of why it cannot be need alone... It would be hard to argue the Sens most dire position need isn't goal-tending. That doesn't mean the Sens should draft a goalie anywhere near 7 OA, or even with their later 1st round pick. Any such goalie would have to be stellar. Most (not all) goalie selections are a bit of a crap shoot given how late that position matures. It is generally easier to trade or grab UFAs for that position.

Should be one hell of a summer, entry draft and roster move wise. More fun on the coaching front too. The season outside the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Maybe you should? At seven, I want someone with at least some offensive potential. There's a reason why a guy like Charlie Elick isn't in consideration this high.
Again smooth skating, mean and massive is elite. Would you rather Chara or Adam Fox. I’ll take Chara.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Again smooth skating, mean and massive is elite. Would you rather Chara or Adam Fox. I’ll take Chara.

Chara had offence. That's one of the big questions with Silayev, is whether he can develop an offensive game to level of a someone like Chara.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Chara didn't show much offence until after he got traded to Ottawa.

Exactly, and that's what I'm saying with Silayev. I don't see a player with much of an offensive game right now, but like Chara he has exceptional physical tools, and sometimes guys who are that big, that strong, that mobile and show enough puck skills blossom into offensive contributors at the NHL level.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad