Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A series of 1 day polls for the forthcoming draft. Picks will be decided by vote.*

*not polling for #1 since we know who it will be and Hawks fans get to vote on their other 1st

Links to the individual threads on the player names.

1. :hawks Connor Bedard, C, Regina Pats (WHL)

2.:ducks
Adam Fantilli, C, Michigan

3.:cbjLeo Carlsson, C/W, Örebro HK

4,:sharksMatvei Michkov, RW, HK Sochi

5. :habsWill Smith, C, USNTP

6. :coyotesRyan Leonard, C, USNTP

7. :flyers Zach Benson, F, Winnipeg Ice

8.:caps Dalibor Dvorský, C/RW, AIK

9.:wings
David Reinbacher, D, Kloten

10. :bluesOliver Moore, C, USNTP

11. :nucksTom Willander, D, Rögle BK J20

12.:coyotes2Nate Danielson, C, Brandon Wheat Kings

13.:sabresDmitri Simashev, D, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

14.:pens Brayden Yager, C, Moose Jaw Warriors

15.:nashville?????????

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think for us it boils down to: do we want a center THAT badly? Ritchie/Honzek? Do we mind if a winger is a bit on the "lumbering" side, but otherwise I think I would take Wood. Or do we have a different swing for the fences in mind?

Personally, I am between Wood or Perreault, because even though Perrault's stock seems to be dropping, I just have some kind of gut feel for his homerun potential.

In the end, I take Wood. He destroyed the U18, he was the leading scorer on an NCAA team at 17-18. He has size. He has already done amazing things, basically.

With Honzek or Ritchie, it's more of a projection... they haven't put up numbers in junior yet, they are centers with size, but I won't be surprised if they aren't more like "safe" middle-6 guys instead of top line guys. I don't think they represent taking the best swing for the fences here. Getting another middle-6 type of center doesn't really solve anything for us.

Last edited:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I like the upside of Wood so that's my pick, but if we could trade down and take Stenberg, Perreault, or Barlow I'd be just as happy.

I'd be interested in going up for Oliver Moore if he starts falling to the edge of the teens.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I like the upside of Wood so that's my pick, but if we could trade down and take Stenberg, Perreault, or Barlow I'd be just as happy.

I'd be interested in going up for Oliver Moore if he starts falling to the edge of the teens.
I feel like we have a really solid chance at Stenberg, Perreault or Barlow at our #24. Or somebody equivalent-ish anyway. I don't see any point in trading down when we already choose 9 picks later already, and also have a cornucopia of extra 2nd/3rd picks. :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I feel like we have a really solid chance at Stenberg, Perreault or Barlow at our #24. Or somebody equivalent-ish anyway. I don't see any point in trading down when we already choose 9 picks later already, and also have a cornucopia of extra 2nd/3rd picks. :dunno:
never have too many dollars or picks

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Honzek is listed as a C but I picked him under the assumption he will be a LW.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Honzek is listed as a C but I picked him under the assumption he will be a LW.
Assuming he's a LW, since that's where he mostly plays and projects, what makes you pick him ahead of Wood? They both have size, both are a bit lacking in speed. Honzek is a late '04 instead of an '05. What upside do you see that beats out what Wood is already doing in that spot?

(Genuinely curious, nothing more, I don't watch either of them).

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Wood has that "it" factor in him. He's not flashy in any sort of way but he just gets the job done.

I feel like too often the skating mechanics and that type of stuff take over the scouts when all that matters in the end are the goals on the board. Wood can provide them like no other on that list.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wood's age/trajectory for NCAA is that of a guy who wouldn't normally be around at 15 OA. I think we'd be lucky to draft him at 15.

The Rantanen comp is intriguing.
On the one hand, I don't think he'll be available to us either. On the other hand... I like how this mock so far has some D jumping up, even without ASP so far taken. That's probably what happens in the real NHL. So even if it's not precisely Wood we get, I do have hope that we're going to get SOMEBODY we thought wouldn't be available to us.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
On the one hand, I don't think he'll be available to us either. On the other hand... I like how this mock so far has some D jumping up, even without ASP so far taken. That's probably what happens in the real NHL. So even if it's not precisely Wood we get, I do have hope that we're going to get SOMEBODY we thought wouldn't be available to us.
Yeah, can’t imagine Wood being there at 15 either. Willander at 11? That’s bold..

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, can’t imagine Wood being there at 15 either. Willander at 11? That’s bold..
I won't be at all surprised if there are 4 defensemen picked ahead of our pick, even if that's not the mantra from the rankings. NHL teams are like that. Teams have their own priorities. And Willander sounds like a good bet to be one of them from what I'm reading. :dunno:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Defensemen shooting up the draft here. Interesting, gut reaction to scoring coming up in the NHL? and ASP still on the board.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
One thing I also really dislike when talking about Wood is that he supposedly isn't a "driver". Well, based on what I saw in the U18's, he was definitely the driver on Team Canada and on his line with Ritchie and Celebrini.

People who say that he's only a finisher really need to take a look at him. There's much more to him than his scoring ability, which is - by the way - a lot more versatile than just his shot. He can score in every which way.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's tough to do a draft this way, just reading stats and stuff, and instead of having a pre-ordered list just to be purely reactionary to the picks ahead of you. There are quite a lot of players in this part of the draft who are legitimate candidates for our pick, and I feel like it's very possible we let some U18 hype over-bias us on Wood. But so be it, nobody is paying us the big bucks for this! :)

I wondered about all the votes for Barlow, we have talked about a fair number of the players in this range before, but not so much him? But then only one of our regulars seems to have voted for him? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad