Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A series of polls for the forthcoming draft. Picks will be decided by vote.

Results Thread

PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU ARE A FAN OF THE TEAM PICKING!

1 day poll

Who will Seattle pick?

1.:sabres Owen Power (D) Univ. of Michigan

2. :seattle Matthew Beniers (C) Univ. of Michigan

3. :ducksLuke Hughes (D) U.S. National U18 Team

4. :devilsBrandt Clarke (D) HC Nove Zamky

5. :cbjMason McTavish (C) Olten

6.:wingsSimon Edvinsson (D) Frölunda HC

7. :sharks????????

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Eklund outscored Raymond and Holtz, two top ten picks from last year, in the SHL this season despite being 7-10 months younger than them. His numbers against men are pretty remarkable for a first time draft eligible player. I believe he outscored Mats Sundin at the same age as well. It's very rare that players this young even get an extended opportunity in Sweden's top league let alone put up this kind of production. Seems to happen once a decade or so and the player almost always turns into a first liner in the NHL.

Guenther is a great prospect too but Eklund is special. If he makes it to the Sharks on draft day five if not six teams likely screwed up. I would send him back to the SHL for another year but he could probably step in on our third line in October and not look out of place unlike a Kent Johnson who potentially needs years of personalized resistance training and development to reach his potential.

Reactions: jarr92

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If there is a hidden gem in that list for centers that can be franchise changing, then him.

If there is no chance any of them have that kind of potential, then my gut is saying go wallstedt. Since he seems according to some of the reports to have that franchise goalie potential.

And then go for the tank next season or the year after and hope to get one of the true franchise changing players that are coming in the next 2 years.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Is Eklund projected as a Center?
I'm still intrigued by Kent Johnson, who is not projected at Center right now but I may become one if Buffalo calls up Beniers next year, Johnson will have the opportunity to play Center like he did in the BCHL.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
My personal preference is Guenther if available at 7 - I think he could end up being the best player from this class when his body has filled out. He has everything potentially.

But sheesh, if Eklund is the pick, no complaints here.

My only slight concern is his size - perhaps unfairly. If Bordeleau pans out as a top 6 C , I see Eklund as a winger or we'd have one of the smallest 1-2s in the league.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Raty too. There’s lots of Doug Jr style picks this draft it’s almost impossible to know who he likes

It's also impossible to judge what strategy he's going into this draft with. They went with specific types of forwards in the 2020 draft. There's no guarantee that that will be the same for this one. While the last draft had a lot of quality zone-entry type players, they still need more playmakers and they have at least a secondary need for d-men.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Talk about being worried .. I am very concerned that Francis does not pick one of Power or Beniers at #2 (whoever of the two is available). This draft is so unpredictable.

I could see a strong argument for Francis to take Eklund. While not exactly a cornerstone piece, pair him with a couple bigger forwards and the Kraken automatically have a top 6 line that can produce at that level. And his game/style/productivity should draw fans and create an identity for the team. I think his father was kind of a cult hero grinder in the SHL.

Power and Beniers may not have that immediate ripple effect.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
My personal preference is Guenther if available at 7 - I think he could end up being the best player from this class when his body has filled out. He has everything potentially.

My only slight concern is his size - perhaps unfairly. If Bordeleau pans out as a top 6 C , I see Eklund as a winger or we'd have one of the smallest 1-2s in the league.

I would caveat it with size and how the Sharks cycle. The Sharks seem to prefer the "get stuck in the corner" cycle vs. a more mobile/quick-hitting cycle. Eklund is crafty enough to do both, but I think he's a better fit with the latter. And the Sharks haven't really shown that move-your-feet cycle very much. Maybe that changes with the next wave of players. If so, Eklund could potentially fit well with players like Timo.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

+1

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Most likely I think Eklund and Bordeleau are both left wings in the NHL not centers. If we keep Hertl that's one top six center slot filled for the next ~5 years and we would need to draft the other with a high pick. There are supposedly 3 or 4 of those guys available at the top of next year's draft but I guess we'll see where the Sharks finish.

DeepBlueSea408

Jan 13, 2010
SAN JOSE
Im going with Eklund if hes still there for us! I think he plays his first few years in the nhl at wing but then later transitions to center kinda like Zetterberg did later in his career. Eklund just needs to add some weight and muscle and he'll be a monster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad