Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Hawks Pick?

• Thomas Bordeleau, C, Univ. of Michigan (NCAA)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mavrik Bourque, C, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)

• Tyson Foerster, C, Barrie Colts (OHL)

• Helge Grans, D, Malmö Redhawks (SHL)

• Roni Hirvonen, C, Ässät (Liiga)

• Theodor Niederbach, C/LW, Frölunda HC (SHL)

• Jacob Perreault, RW, Sarnia Sting (OHL)

• John-Jason Peterka, LW, EHC München (DEL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It will not be MK as high as#17...if the Hawks traded down and got a late first plus a high second then grab MK in one of those 2 spots ...I can see that as a scenario if Hawks convinced they could get better value in doing that..It coukdvakso be part of a larger deal where eitger Hawks keep the#17 and just get a later first or early 2nd for trading a vet for cap reliefef(Maata or Saad or Murphy) or packaged with a player+the #17 forca late first ,early 2nd plus moreboicks.

On the scenarios where tgse draftcslot changes hapoen then Hawks coukd take MK as one of the late first/early 2nd roubd picks...MK simply is not a good enough goal scorer to meritcashigh as#17...he projects as a shutdown defensive center who can get the puck back in his own zonebor neutral zone,get it tobthevo-zone and provide relentkess forecheck pressure to create scoring chancesc for linemates chances by maintaining pressure and cutting off oppo exit attempts...He will create offense off good defense. But he himself does not have an elite shot and so will not have even a balanced goal to assist ratio butbitbwill skey more to assists by a wide margin..

So he will be suited to 3C or 4C roles not to 1C or 2C roles...which is why most rankings have him late 20s early 30s...

However ..you can probably say his floor is high and more certain than some who have more offensive talent who could bust because they have poor work ethic or consistency issues...MK will be reliable and a "dfference-maker" butbonlybin a botyom 2 line shutdown role ....so you have a good shot at still getting him later in round v#1 or early in round #2 ....

It is also possible that if Stan realky wants MK and only gets either an early 2nd via a trade of a vet (where we still keep the#17) that Stan could package that early 2nd plus our own 2nd (now) or our 2nd plus another pick to move back up into the mid 1st to ensure we get MK..

But all this only if Stan really wants to target MK for a pick later than#17...

Rather ,I think Stan will be taking one of Amirov,Jarvis (if he is still there),Reichel or Holloway OR he could go after kids like Brisson or Grieg ....because between 17-22 you could easily have all these guys going off the board...

I think MK will come off the board somewhere between 27- 33...

Ther is an x-factor...I like Tristen Robins....consensus has him late 2nd earlyv3rd but I think thec talent merits as high as#17...Stan probably does not go against the consensus which to me has Robins undervalued.. There are very few flaws in his game ...does so many things very well including work ethic to go with the skills plus he likesc aking draws and was 55% on them..I am certain he will not be a bust..but Othersccoukd bust:

. maybe Holloway never reaches his ceiling projection off his tools ...you never know if hecever fulfills expectation...was meh in 1st year at Wisconsin as more offense was expected from him...Also his consistency was not evident. So while some may drool at what he should produce,...he may never get there.=too risky a gamble for my taste.

Reichel again is a projection hope as towhat he might be in 3-4 years...

Sometimes you gamble on potential...but at least nobody questions Reichel on wirk ethic ...so he probably is a safer bet than Holoway for not becoming a bust...
Amirov could also bust if he fails to adapt to the NA game,smaller rinks and of course the culture change as many Russians have ....though of course many Russians also adapt and have become big stars.. Still there is a possibility he might be one who dies not adapt..You just do not know.

So Stan/Kelkey have their own ranking list...we do not know how that goes...but they will stick to it for their BPA to it and claim they got their highest rated guy still left on the board with the exception that if at #17, their highest rated guy still available is a d-man,they will either trade down a bit( if sone teans want that d-man and would try to move up to#17) ,or simply tge Hawksv grab the next highest rated forward still remaining on their list at#17.

We do not know the Hawks ranking list...

So we can only guess.

But given the consensus it would seem Amirov is the likely highest giy remaining up for grabs at #17 and so if you had to bet,he probably is their pick.

But given thev closeness ofvthe 17-22 likely forwards group,I would say no team would try t#o move up to #17 unless there is d-man they desperately want to grab before a team ahead of them gets a chance to pull him off the board.

Probably Kaiden Ghule is there and teams 19-25 who.may covet him might try to move up with the Hawks...question is what pocks can they offer us as the sweetener to getv us to move down a few spots?

The #18 team will think Hawks will take a forward at #18 so if they 1. Want a dman, they wilt just stay at#18, unless they fear a 19-25 slotted deals to move upto#17 to take him...butbthec#18 team may also be satisfied with tge nextcdman they woukdvtake...so unlikely team at #18 tries to move up 1 spit.

Thus there may be a couple of teams between 19and 25 who covet dmen..If so...Hawks could have a deal partner in 1or more of teams and move down for the right price in sweeteners.

I do not kniw if the Hawks move down past 25th spot ..to move 28 (Ottawa owns NYI pick slot) we probanly demand Ottawa's first pick in roundc 2 as the sweetener...will need to check teams 19-25 as to when their 2nd rounders slot.

We probably only move down IFthe 2nd round sweetener is relatively early ...(have to check out this scenario with 2nd round picks owned by teans 19-25..

So if the conditions are right then Hawks may move down from #17 .

Update:

At this tome no 19-25 team has high enough 2ndvroubdervto sweeten enough to gey Hawkscto move down from#17 ,I believe...that coukd changevifvthey acquire a hogh enough 2nd..

However ...Calgary at #19 if they covet dman and think NJ at #18 would take that dman off the board AND is CGY woukd not movebup for any other dman remaining then maybevHawkscwoukd drop 2 spitsctob#19 forvtgatbpuck plus #49...

Otherwise it might have to beca move down to #27 Anaheim (#27 and#36) or Ottawa #28:+#33 to get the Hawks to movecdown that far...

A chance Kushnutdinov still therexat #33 but probably not at #36...butbibsteadxwe coukdctakebhom at #27 or #28 depending on whether we deal with ANH or Ottawa..

PHI has pick #23 but their next picknisc#53 which is too low in round 2 to make us accept such a deal ..

So at this point unless sonecteansxacquirevhigher 2ndvrounders,Hawksxtradecdown scenaruisccoukd be just with CGY,Ottawa,or Abaheim..

If Ottawa takes forward at #3 and #5 they might want to make a dealbtobget a dman at #17...

Do not kniw of Anaheim used tgeirvearky pick in round #1 on a dman or not..if so then they too might move up in a dealbto getvonecat#17.

If Calgary fears NJ takes the only dman remaining they would trybto not let get off the boatd ,then they might try a movebupto #17 ...but not sure if NJ wants a dman or a forward at #18 ...so maybe CGY doesn't move ...or maybe CGYcwabtsxaxfirward anyway.

Anyway.. I do see a sxebario whereby we move fown to #2€7or#28 IF Stan covets Khushnutdinov who's till is likely still availablecon tjise spots...or maybeceven at #33 in a deal for #28 and#33 with Ottawa..

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad