Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft

Who should the Caps pick?

• Simon Holmstrom, RW, HV71 (SHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryan Johnson, Sioux Falls (USHL Minnesota commit)

• Kaeden Korczak, D, Kelowna (WHL)

• Nathan Legare, RW, Baie-Comeau (QMJHL)

• Robert Mastrosimone, LW, Chicago (USHL Boston Committ)

• Samuel Poulin, LW, Sherbrooke (QMJHL)

• Patrik Puistola, LW, Taapara (Liiga)

• Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton (WHL)

• Nicholas Robertson, LW, Peterborough (OHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Fan vote draft that will go through each team's board.

Two Day Poll.

Please only vote for a player if you are aa Washington fan.

Who should the Capitals pick at #25?

1. :devils Jack Hughes, C, USNTP 88.6%

2. :rangers Kappo Kakko, RW, TPS 94.0%

3. :hawksBowen Byram, D, Vancouver (WHL) 63.2%

4. :avs Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge (WHL) 32.6%

5. :kings Alex Turcotte, C, USNTP (Wisconsin Commit) 48.5%

6.:wingsKirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)

7. :sabresPeyton Krebs, C, Kootenay (WHL)

8.:edmonton Trevor Zegras, C, USNTP (BU Commit)

9.:ducks2 Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTP (BC Commit)

10. :nucksVasili Podkolzin, RW, SKA (KHL)

11. :flyers Cole Caufield, RW, USNTP (Wisco Commit)

12. :wildAlex Newhook, C, Victoria (BCHL, BC Commit)

13. :panthersVictor Soderstrom, D, Brynas IF (SHL)

14. :coyotesArthur Kaliyev, LW, Hamilton (OHL)

15. :habs Ville Heinola, D, Lukko (Liiga)

16. :avs Spencer Knight, G, USNTP (BC Commit)

17. :vegas Philip Broberg, D, AIK (Allesvenskan)

18. :starsRyan Suzuki, C, Barrie (OHL)

19. :sens Moritz Seider, D, Mannheim (DEL)

20. :rangersCam York, D, USNTP (Michigan Commit)

21. :pensRaphael Lavoie, C, Halifax (QMJHL)

22. :kings2Thomas Harley, D, Mississagua (OHL)

23. :islesPhilip Tomasino, C, Niagra (OHL)

24. :nashvilleBobby Brink, RW, Sioux City (USHL Denver Commit)

25. :caps Connor McMichael, C, (London OHL)

26. :flames:dunno:

Link to the results thread

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This is probably the single hardest pick to make in the draft so far given that I think there may be a drop after who has been taken so far. Best-case in a swing for the fences type pick I'd go with Dorofeyev because he probably has the highest skill and IQ level but I'm not sure it's a slam dunk. I wouldn't be surprised if they went Hoglander/Holmstrom in this scenario given how often they draft players from or playing in Sweden. I'd probably suggest trading down unless they have a runaway favorite here. Poulin could make sense but who knows how dynamic they project him to be. He could be a moderately safe pick but if the mentality is a relatively safe middle six type then they probably could move down a bit and get someone comparable.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Went with Leason, don't mind the age since they've got no centers in the pipeline, also considered Hoglander

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Voted for Connor McMichael. Seems to have all the tools necessary to be a good 2C in the NHL, including the Hockey IQ. 3rd in U18 goal scoring in the OHL this year. Capable of playing an up tempo game, but smart enough to sneak into soft spots on the ice when the pace slows down. Still needs to add some size and continue to polish his game, but I think he projects well as an NHLer.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Voted for Connor McMichael. Seems to have all the tools necessary to be a good 2C in the NHL, including the Hockey IQ. 3rd in U18 goal scoring in the OHL this year. Capable of playing an up tempo game, but smart enough to sneak into soft spots on the ice when the pace slows down. Still needs to add some size and continue to polish his game, but I think he projects well as an NHLer.

Also went with McMichael. I haven't followed or read a lot about this year's draft but from what I've followed he seems to check a lot of boxes in terms of ability, ceiling, slated draft location, style of play fit, and organizational need. My only concern with him is it seems he disappears during the playoffs... maybe because of his size? Could also be because of (bad) luck. Could be nothing, but it's something that's been noted in a few scouting reports.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Also went with McMichael. I haven't followed or read a lot about this year's draft but from what I've followed he seems to check a lot of boxes in terms of ability, ceiling, slated draft location, style of play fit, and organizational need. My only concern with him is it seems he disappears during the playoffs... maybe because of his size? Could also be because of (bad) luck. Could be nothing, but it's something that's been noted in a few scouting reports.
I like his offensive instincts in general but, yeah, it is hard to say just how much he's held back by a lack of strength. At the junior level it's hard to just put it on that facet alone at 18. It happens but there should still be an element of determination at least with possession overriding some of those one-on-one battle limitations. I think it's also something of an explosiveness issue when he does have possession against better junior teams. An interesting player but his value as a center isn't as needed in the near-term and if he's on the wing I'd probably just as soon go with someone like Poulin who's a comparable finisher and further along overall.

A huge priority for me would be explosive skaters and it's why I don't particularly love any of these forward options as none stand out in that regard. I'm willing to overlook that with Brink since he's so dynamic and almost Oshie-like from a skill standpoint but I don't know that anyone else is quite comparable in that sense. Dorofeyev comes closest but he's not without some concerns. They're all decent skaters but the most dynamic skaters here are probably D like Johnson, Bjornfot or Kolyachonok or more of a depth guy in Beecher. Again, I'd ideally hope someone slides to them and this isn't the choice they'll have to make. If it were I'd shop the pick pretty hard in every sense.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I like his offensive instincts in general but, yeah, it is hard to say just how much he's held back by a lack of strength. At the junior level it's hard to just put it on that facet alone at 18. It happens but there should still be an element of determination at least with possession overriding some of those one-on-one battle limitations. I think it's also something of an explosiveness issue when he does have possession against better junior teams. An interesting player but his value as a center isn't as needed in the near-term and if he's on the wing I'd probably just as soon go with someone like Poulin who's a comparable finisher and further along overall.

A huge priority for me would be explosive skaters and it's why I don't particularly love any of these forward options as none stand out in that regard. I'm willing to overlook that with Brink since he's so dynamic and almost Oshie-like from a skill standpoint but I don't know that anyone else is quite comparable in that sense. Dorofeyev comes closest but he's not without some concerns. They're all decent skaters but the most dynamic skaters here are probably D like Johnson, Bjornfot or Kolyachonok or more of a depth guy in Beecher. Again, I'd ideally hope someone slides to them and this isn't the choice they'll have to make. If it were I'd shop the pick pretty hard in every sense.

Brink would be nice. They have zero prospects that project to be a top-6 forward and while there likely aren't any open spots there with the big club for the foreseeable future they really need to restock the pipeline. If they don't do it via the draft this year maybe they consider a prospect swap. I could also see a trade to accumulate more picks or maybe they attach the 1st to someone like Niskanen to make a major move to go for it with a few key contracts being up after this year. Pretty fascinated to see what they do, to be honest.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I want them to pick Nathan Lagare, Nils Hoglander, Arthur Kaliyev, or Raphael Lavoie, whichever is left when they pick.

Raphael Lavoie: The big-bodied Lavoie has a real knack for the net. He gets a lot of force on his shots, even from far away from goal. When he gets moving with the puck, it can be like a runaway train barrelling at you, and he's one of the better forwards at net drives in this year's class. Ended the year on a high note.

Nathan Legare: Légaré's goal scoring really stands but also the many strong plays he makes in the offensive zone. Good at protecting the puck and keeping plays alive. Always looking to recoup the puck and attack the puck carrier, always forechecking. Really good one-timer, he finds openings to get it off a lot.

Nils Hoglander: Aggressive winger with a nonstop motor and the ability to play much bigger than his measurements may indicate. He plays the game at a feverish pace no matter the score or how much time is left, and his compete level is exactly what you want in a skill forward who is summoned to tackle key situations. Hoglander isn’t big, but he is fearless in the corners and immediately bounces back from hefty wallops from older, larger opponents. Without the puck, he’s an aggressive forechecker with an active stick who will finish his checks and force turnovers or rushed passes with regularity.

Arthur Kaliyev: A pure sniper with a shot for the ages, Kaliyev is following up his 31-goal season with an even better sophomore campaign. The Staten Island-born winger is a high-volume shooter who can knock a goalie off his skates with his Filip Forsberg-esque wrister from the circle.

I think Lagare, Lavoie and Hoglander will be gone before the pick but Hoglander is the guy I would like the most. I hope they don't have to "settle" for McMichael, Brink or Poulin (the best of the three).

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Legare will most likely be available as there are only two places that have him in the first round at all. Whereas it's near consensus with Brink at least so I wouldn't consider it settling. Hoglander is the one with the best odds to go in the 24-26ish range (followed by Brink & Poulin it seems). Legare gets knocked a bit because his edge work and explosiveness aren't great. It doesn't impact his game massively per se, at least against his peers. North/south he's mostly fine and he could be a Connolly-like finishing 3RW but that kind of role doesn't necessarily garner a ton of first round talk. I think he's a sleeper but more of a solid early-to-mid second rounder.

If I had to guess it's likely at least one of Tomasino, Suzuki, Brink or Hoglander will be available and it's a matter of whether the Caps have them ranked along more of a consensus view or not. It's somewhat more debatable with Hoglander but being a Swede we know they'll have focused a great deal on him. Worst case the top 20 go as expected and those four right behind them. At that point I'd probably either trade down or take Poulin/Tracey but I'd expect Heinola to push one of the forwards down at the very least. But I don't think there's massive separation depending on what they're looking for and you never know how the draft goes.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Legare will most likely be available as there are only two places that have him in the first round at all. Whereas it's near consensus with Brink at least so I wouldn't consider it settling.

Brink is committed to Denver so I don't want him. Sick of the college guys holding teams hostage after year three. Unless it's an absolute no brainer I'm not taking college guys in the first round ever.

You are probably correct about Legare, we shall see. Hoglander's stock seems to have risen in the last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad