Team Board Dispersal Draft - Pick #3

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
If we were adding to our current group, Stamkos would be a no-brainer. He creates his own offense.

But we are drafting a whole new team. The two best hockey players in the world are Crosby and Malkin. Crosby is off the board. Age and salary don't matter.

I'm shocked the votes are 16-2 Stamkos over Malkin. I expected 16-2 Malkin to Stamkos.

They are close but Stamkos is better. Personally I think the order of great players is Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Malkin

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Kane, Zetterberg or Malkin. That was a tough choice. All 3 are just absolutely dominant in the playoffs.

Went with Geno.

Apparently most of our board rates Stamkos over Malkin.. :huh:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Apparently most of our board rates Stamkos over Malkin.. :huh:

I put both Stamkos and Tavares in front of Malkin, but I really have no rational justification for it. They just don't have a track record that is defensible when compared to Malkin. Nobody really does. It must be that, in the back of my mind, I know Geno is a punk and riles up the other team as much as he runs them over. Tremendous production. Just not a fan.

We don't pick again until 58 and 63, so it's okay to just take the best goalscorer in the league.

If I knew I was going to have terrible forwards, I'd pick Doughty.
If I knew I was going to have terrible everything, I'd pick Lundqvist.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
I put both Stamkos and Tavares in front of Malkin, but I really have no rational justification for it. They just don't have a track record that is defensible when compared to Malkin. Nobody really does. It must be that, in the back of my mind, I know Geno is a punk and riles up the other team as much as he runs them over. Tremendous production. Just not a fan.

We don't pick again until 58 and 63, so it's okay to just take the best goalscorer in the league.

If I knew I was going to have terrible forwards, I'd pick Doughty.
If I knew I was going to have terrible everything, I'd pick Lundqvist.

Same reason I'd pick Zetterberg at this spot. I just have that feeling. Tavares is also a good pick, I've always loved his game.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Tavares, no question. If he's not the best NHL player yet (he is IMO), he'll be soon.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If we were adding to our current group, Stamkos would be a no-brainer. He creates his own offense.

But we are drafting a whole new team. The two best hockey players in the world are Crosby and Malkin. Crosby is off the board. Age and salary don't matter.

I'm shocked the votes are 16-2 Stamkos over Malkin. I expected 16-2 Malkin to Stamkos.

My view is this. Typically forwards peak offensively at 27. Sure there are exceptins but that's the year where you start to see things start to decline. Malkin is 28 has already shown some offensive variability that points me in direction of a current young franchise player in Stamkos who's good for 50 G minimum and likely wins the scoring title this season.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Same reason I'd pick Zetterberg at this spot. I just have that feeling. Tavares is also a good pick, I've always loved his game.
I was leaning toward Zetterberg also, but I thought that was because I'm an idiot. At least I have company.

Z is older than Stamkos or Malkin, but he's defensively reliable, experienced, smart, and still quite capable of scoring. I'd also give him the C before the other two, though admittedly that's a more subjective question than production or whatever.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
My view is this. Typically forwards peak offensively at 27. Sure there are exceptins but that's the year where you start to see things start to decline. Malkin is 28 has already shown some offensive variability that points me in direction of a current young franchise player in Stamkos who's good for 50 G minimum and likely wins the scoring title this season.

This was my reasoning as well.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
ITT: people not realizing what OP said. We are building a team strictly for the playoffs only. Not building a franchise.

That being said, my choice still remains Malkin.

Vip

Jul 25, 2010
I was leaning toward Zetterberg also, but I thought that was because I'm an idiot. At least I have company.

Z is older than Stamkos or Malkin, but he's defensively reliable, experienced, smart, and still quite capable of scoring. I'd also give him the C before the other two, though admittedly that's a more subjective question than production or whatever.

Dude I'm with you on this one. Zetterberg is scary in the playoffs. Like you mentioned, hes great defensively too. He's not a bad pick at all.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think this is an easy one, as much as it's tempting to go Stamkos I remember how Malkin dominates whenever Crosby is hurt. Malkin with his own team, yes please!!!

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I think this is an easy one, as much as it's tempting to go Stamkos I remember how Malkin dominates whenever Crosby is hurt. Malkin with his own team, yes please!!!

If you compare them side by side they are very close. It comes down to who you think will have the better year.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If you compare them side by side they are very close. It comes down to who you think will have the better year.
I suppose I shouldn't say it's an easy choice but seriously, Malkin without Crosby around is actually a better player and that's saying something considering he's already a top 5 player in the league. Stamkos will score more goals but Malkin will make those around him better and would be a lock for 100pts IMO.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
surprised no one has voted ovechkin considering he's 23rd in ppg all time and 4th among active players in playoff scoring with 61 points in 58 games.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
surprised no one has voted ovechkin considering he's 23rd in ppg all time and 4th among active players in playoff scoring with 61 points in 58 games.
Really it's a tossup between the big 4 but I feel like you have to give the nod to a center.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

Stamkos and Malkin are better than Ovi. Ovi is good, no doubt about that it's just that there are better players on the board right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad