Team 1st overall vs rest of the league.

Best team?

• Total voters

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Idc how good the goaltending is or how good their defense is I can't see team 1st overall being able to be stopped. Think team 1 just has way too much talent.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Idc how good the goaltending is or how good their defense is I can't see team 1st overall being able to be stopped. Think team 1 just has way too much talent.

Do you actually think that a team with offense only, no good D:s or goalies and no 2-way players will win against a team full of 2-way players and Norris-defense will win?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Rest of world:

1995 Kiprusoff
1996 Chara
1997 Hossa
1998 Datsyuk
1999 Zetterberg
2000 Lundqvist
2001 Spezza
2002 Keith
2003 Bergeron
2004 Malkin
2005 Kopitar
2006 Bäckström
2008 Pietrangelo
2009 Hedman
2010 Stone
2011 Kucherov
2012 Slavin
2013 Barkov
2014 Draisaitl
2015 Kaprizov
2016 Fox
2017 Makar

Draisaitl - Malkin - Kucherov
Hossa - Datsyuk - Zetterberg
Bäckström - Kopitar - Kaprizov
Barkov - Bergeron - Stone

Hedman - Chara
Keith - Fox
Slavin - Pietrangelo

Kiprusoff
Lundqvist

We are officially shutting any team down that is thrown at us. We also have "a bit" of finnishing on the team. McDavid, Ovechkin and Crosby go home crying facing this team.
Ooh - and if someone is wondering why Kaprizov is on the team, I just like to see what he can do with 2 real C:s on his line thats also very good defensively. Kaprizov is PPG now in NHL with much less linemates.

Last edited:

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Rest of world:

1995 Kiprusoff
1996 Chara
1997 Hossa
1998 Datsyuk
1999 Zetterberg
2000 Lundqvist
2001 Spezza
2002 Keith
2003 Bergeron
2004 Malkin
2005 Kopitar
2006 Bäckström
2008 Pietrangelo
2009 Hedman
2010 Stone
2011 Kucherov
2012 Slavin
2013 Barkov
2014 Draisaitl
2015 Kaprizov
2016 Fox
2017 Makar

Hedman - Chara
Keith - Fox
Slavin - Pietrangelo

Kiprusoff
Lundqvist

We are officially shutting any team down that is thrown at us. We also have "a bit" of finnishing on the team. McDavid, Ovechkin and Crosby go home crying facing this team.
You win this thread as far as building rest of the world team.

Reactions: jonlin

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Team rest of the league is better balanced and has better defense, but the team 1st overall is just too much talent to overcome and they'd curb stomp team rest if the league IMO.

It is? Theese 2-way monsters arent too shabby at scoring and with a multiple-Norris D behind them and 2 top-notch goalies this "team-nobodies" washes the floor with team 1st overalls.

Hedman - Chara
Keith - Fox
Slavin - Pietrangelo

Kiprusoff
Lundqvist

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Ovi-McDavid-Kane
Matthews-Crosby-MacKinnon
Kovalchuk-Thornton-Tavares
Nash-Lecavalier-Stamkos
Jovo-Ekblad
Dahlin-Johnson
Berard-Phillips
Fleury

I think this is about the best lineup #1 could have.

Last edited:
Reactions: missionAvs

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Ovi-McDavid-Kane
Matthews-Crosby-MacKinnon
Kovalchuk-Thornton-Tavares
Nash-Lecavalier-Hall
Jovo-Ekblad
Dahlin-Johnson
Berard-Phillips
Fleury

I think this is about the best lineup #1 could have.

Pretty much. Still, behind the Top6, Team Leftovers take this matchup every time. I`d even say they would sweep this team in a series.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Having the likes of OV -- Crosby -- McDavid -- Kane on one team is just unfair. I just don't know if this thread is assuming whether these are the current versions of those players, or at their peak?

At their peak, you essentially have 4 MVPs/Lindsay-winners who are top-tier point producers and goal-scorers. It's just too much offensive talent. At some point, it doesn't matter anymore.

If it's today? I'd probably lean toward rest of the league simply because they're much more well-rounded.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I can see it easily, the gap between the top-6 forwards is not as big as the gap between the defenses. 1st overalls have some pretty lackluster 2 way forwards and that 4th line is pretty bad.

Ovechkin-Crosby-Matthews vs Doughty-Hedman
Draisaitl-Malkin-Kucherov vs Jovanoski-Ekblad

it gets worse as you go down,

Kane-McDavid-Mackinnon vs Suter-Chara
Marner - Barkov - Alfredsson vs Dahlin-Johnson (looooooooooooooooooooool)

For every goal the 1st team scores their defense will give up 2 or more.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Having the likes of OV -- Crosby -- McDavid -- Kane on one team is just unfair. I just don't know if this thread is assuming whether these are the current versions of those players, or at their peak?

At their peak, you essentially have 4 MVPs/Lindsay-winners who are top-tier point producers and goal-scorers. It's just too much offensive talent. At some point, it doesn't matter anymore.

If it's today? I'd probably lean toward rest of the league simply because they're much more well-rounded.

Obviously it's players at their peak considering the ages of some of the 1st overalls.

You're talking like the "leftovers" aren't MVP's and Lindsay/Hart/Ross winners either..... the top end levels are not far off at all, at their top games, it's negligible in terms of offense, Malkin, Draisaitl, Kucherov have all peaked on a similar level as those guys.

The biggest difference is the two way ability and more rounded play of the other team. Guys like Barkov, Alfreddson and Kopitar have no issues going head to head against any of those 1st overalls and this isn't even factoring the mountain wide difference on defense considering all of those guys at their peaks as well, you're talking about 4 Norris winners vs none.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Rest of world:

Hedman - Chara
Keith - Fox
Slavin - Pietrangelo

Kiprusoff
Lundqvist

We are officially shutting any team down that is thrown at us.

Love it, low-key this is Team Selke (Datsyuk/ Kopitar/ Bergeron/ Barkov should each have their own line, plus Zetterberg/ Stone/ Hossa/ Backstrom have either been nominated for Selkes or been recognized for strong two-way play). If you put all this defensive ability throughout the lineup and in front of the two-way D-pairings they'll shut down the 1OA team.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Team 1st overall has a better 1st line, a way better 2nd line and a better 3rd line. Rest of has a better 4th line but that makes no difference here. 1st overall top 9 has 5 hart winners, 3 hart runner up and 1 hart finalist. Team rest ofs top 9 has 3 hart winners, 1 hart runner up, 1 hart finalist and 4 players who don't belong anywhere near this conversation (Marner has never been top 15, Svechnikov has never received a vote, Alfredsson and Barkov have never been close to being a finalist). Even ignoring the wins, it's a top 9 of 9 hart finalists vs 5. 4 ross winners on each team but 1st overall has 5 rocket winners to rest ofs 1. The 3 best goal scorers in OV, Stamkos and Matthews are on 1st overall. The 3 best players in OV, Crosby and McDavid are on 1st overall. That's a huge gap in talent. Yeah rest of has better D and goaltending but peak Fleury is more than capable of making enough saves to allow the huge gap in forward talent to take over.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Obviously it's players at their peak considering the ages of some of the 1st overalls.

You're talking like the "leftovers" aren't MVP's and Lindsay/Hart/Ross winners either..... the top end levels are not far off at all, at their top games, it's negligible in terms of offense, Malkin, Draisaitl, Kucherov have all peaked on a similar level as those guys.

The biggest difference is the two way ability and more rounded play of the other team. Guys like Barkov, Alfreddson and Kopitar have no issues going head to head against any of those 1st overalls and this isn't even factoring the mountain wide difference on defense considering all of those guys at their peaks as well, you're talking about 4 Norris winners vs none.
I feel like there is a big drop-off in raw offensive talent outside the 1st line of Team "Leftovers". Yes there are more 2-way, well-rounded players, but history has shown usually, the best players (who are generally great offensive players) have had great success in their careers, i.e. won the Cup. So I'd naturally lean towards that

But I'm not going to argue with you on the defensive side of things. It's generally hard to quantify defense and how much it means, but it can't be understated.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I feel like there is a big drop-off in raw offensive talent outside the 1st line of Team "Leftovers". Yes there are more 2-way, well-rounded players, but history has shown usually, the best players (who are generally great offensive players) have had great success in their careers, i.e. won the Cup. So I'd naturally lean towards that

But I'm not going to argue with you on the defensive side of things. It's generally hard to quantify defense and how much it means, but it can't be understated.

Sure but the 1st overall team has 5 players who've won a cup and the Leftovers have 11..... the best players win cups because they have deep teams, defense and scoring depth, much like the Leftovers do.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Team 1st overall has a better 1st line, a way better 2nd line and a better 3rd line. Rest of has a better 4th line but that makes no difference here. 1st overall top 9 has 5 hart winners, 3 hart runner up and 1 hart finalist. Team rest ofs top 9 has 3 hart winners, 1 hart runner up, 1 hart finalist and 4 players who don't belong anywhere near this conversation (Marner has never been top 15, Svechnikov has never received a vote, Alfredsson and Barkov have never been close to being a finalist). Even ignoring the wins, it's a top 9 of 9 hart finalists vs 5. 4 ross winners on each team but 1st overall has 5 rocket winners to rest ofs 1. The 3 best goal scorers in OV, Stamkos and Matthews are on 1st overall. The 3 best players in OV, Crosby and McDavid are on 1st overall. That's a huge gap in talent. Yeah rest of has better D and goaltending but peak Fleury is more than capable of making enough saves to allow the huge gap in forward talent to take over.

Second team has better third line.
Gap in D is much bigger than gap in forward group.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Are you arguing that a team with 6 Norris-defensemen, 2 Vezina goalies and 9 selke level forwards + 3 Hart winners would loose to a 2-line team without good D and G? I guess Team 1st:s will ice only forwards then?
And talking about great offensive players, I`d argue that every forward on leftovers are one. They also have the defensive touch to come with it.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Well for starters - Marner, Svechnikov doesnt even belong on the team. Datsyuk and Zetterberg do. So Hart is the only thing that matters? Do you really have Hall better than Barkov, Zetterberg, Bergeron, Datsyuk? :D :D
What about Selkes? - Leftovers only have 9. Not to mention how many runners up. 1st overall has none - ZERO.
Defense wins championships. Team leftovers with 4 Norris winners. Team 1st:s doesnt even have a 1D. Would a team without a defense keep Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Malkin, Kucherov, Draisitl, Barkov, Bergeron, Kopitar etc in check? :D :D :D :D

I`m prettys sure a lineup full of PPG selke-caliber forwards and a Norris-D would keep a lineup with only forwards in check.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad