Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
That blueline is ridiculous.

No, ridiculous is not a strong enough word.
Ludicrous.

I could imagine game one where the 2020s team only manages ~10 shots on net after 5 of their forwards head to the dressing room due to injury and don't come back. Another 3 say "To hell with this, I'm outta here" and just go home.
In a way it's almost unfair because 'the 90's' kind of cheats when it comes to dmen, in that they have so many guys with 20 year careers/1500+ games played who were just as good/important in the 80's/00's as they were in the 90's, so basically triple dipping. If you were to expand the scope to all decades and say a player could only represent 1 decade, just going to LD you could screw the 90's and make it something like:

80's: Bourque, Potvin, Coffey
90's: Stevens, Leetch, Suter
00's: Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermayer

Reactions: Ben White

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Who’d win a best of 7?

Rules: Each team has 3 home games each where they get to play in its own era and rules. Game 7 is played in a “neutral era”, let’s say the early 80’s to determine, and on neutral ice.

(Mario and Wayne are excluded from roster eligibility)

Team 1990’s

Bure - Forsberg - Jagr
Hull - Fedorov - Selanne
Modano - Lindros - Yzerman
Oates - Sakic - Neely

Lidstrom - Bourque
Coffey - MacInnis
Pronger - Chelios

Roy

Team 2020’s

Matthews - MacDavid - MacKinnon
Pastrnak - Draisaitl - Kucherov
J. Hughes - Pettersson - M. Tkachuk
Panarin - Crosby - Rantanen

Hedman - Makar
Q. Hughes - Fox
Josi - McAvoy

Hellebuyck
seems like team 2020’s defense would get tooled on. Team 90s wins but lots of goals get scored either way.

As others have mentioned not really a fair comparison because we’re only halfway through the 2020’s

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah no. Exclude Mario and Gretzky why? They were two of the best players in the 90s especially Mario in the early 90s. Gretzky was better in the 80s but still great in the 90s. Not a fair comparison at all.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
90s and that’s without those players mentioned or Hasek.
Hasek was insanely good, he won the Vezina for half the 90s, 6 times in 8 seasons 94-01. This was on an underperforming Sabres team as well.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Nothing criminal when you're trying to cram so many good players into a lineup. For my reasoning while Lemieux and Jagr played together in the early 90's and won Cups, they were both just as dominant without each other. So I'm going to take the best player Lemieux and play him with what was probably the best pure wing pair Kariya/Selanne for line #1, for line #2 going to go with a Lindros lead 'Legion of Doom' line but replace the merely good wingers LeClair/Renberg with elite ones in Shanahan/Jagr.

As for Erik Karlsson I don't know maybe it's just me, but he doesn't really trigger my nostalgia senses. When I think of decade spanning elite HoF defensemen, I think of guys that play nearly half the game making a huge impact on not just both ends of the ice but the players they play with. Detroit's time as a top tier team began and ended with Niklas Lidstrom. Or in the 2000's, look at Edmonton their one year with Chris Pronger, and then what happened without him. So for Karlsson... again I don't know maybe it's not his fault but it just seems like his teams have missed the playoffs 1.5 times more than they've made it.

You said it. This is the cap era. No way EK would’ve been stuck on rebuilding teams twice with no cap and then be forced to accept a trade to a really old and washed team just to get out of the rebuilding bottom feeder. EK only had the luxury of playing on a contender once really and that was in 2019 in SJ when he was still heavily affected by his 2017 surgery, still having a very good run.

In a way it's almost unfair because 'the 90's' kind of cheats when it comes to dmen, in that they have so many guys with 20 year careers/1500+ games played who were just as good/important in the 80's/00's as they were in the 90's, so basically triple dipping. If you were to expand the scope to all decades and say a player could only represent 1 decade, just going to LD you could screw the 90's and make it something like:

80's: Bourque, Potvin, Coffey
90's: Stevens, Leetch, Suter
00's: Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermayer
Good point

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I'll take the 2020's just because Forsberg, Neely and Bure would likely miss the series with injuries. And Lindros would be concussed in game one, and out the reminder, after being steamrolled by Jack Hughes.

My Best-Carey

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Yeah no. Exclude Mario and Gretzky why? They were two of the best players in the 90s especially Mario in the early 90s. Gretzky was better in the 80s but still great in the 90s. Not a fair comparison at all.
He excluded them because they were too good for it to be fair, not because they weren’t good enough. Same with Hasek

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I'll take the 2010's just because Forsberg, Neely and Bure would likely miss the series with injuries. And Lindros would be concussed in game one, and out the reminder, after being steamrolled by Jack Hughes.

My Best-Carey
Neely would only be injured if Claude LePuke or Ulf Cheapshotulsson were around. The 2 most disgraceful players of the 80s-90s era.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
He excluded them because they were too good for it to be fair, not because they weren’t good enough. Same with Hasek
Well doesn't that just admit that the 90s era was better if you had to exclude players for being "too good"? That's what I was saying, not that they weren't good enough. It isn't a fair comparison unless you account for the ALL of the best players from each era. If you need to grade on a curve you've answered your own question..though I've never been a fan of comparing players from different eras. The game changes so who knows how players would do playing in different times.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Well doesn't that just admit that the 90s era was better if you had to exclude players for being "too good"? That's what I was saying, not that they weren't good enough. It isn't a fair comparison unless you account for the ALL of the best players from each era. If you need to grade on a curve you've answered your own question..though I've never been a fan of comparing players from different eras. The game changes so who knows how players would do playing in different times.
I partially agree but I think it is fair to exclude those two guys since they're such anomalies. If you exclude those two, it's at least a conversation that can be had. Either way, it's the 90s for me, but comparing Jagr, Sakic and Lindros to McDavid, Mackinnon and Kucherov is more fun than comparing the later to Gretzky and Lemieux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad