• Team 2020’s

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Who’d win a best of 7?

Rules: Each team has 3 home games each where they get to play in its own era and rules. Game 7 is played in a “neutral era”, let’s say the early 80’s to determine, and on neutral ice.

(Mario and Wayne are excluded from roster eligibility)

Team 1990’s

Bure - Forsberg - Jagr
Hull - Fedorov - Selanne
Modano - Lindros - Yzerman
Oates - Sakic - Neely

Lidstrom - Bourque
Coffey - MacInnis
Pronger - Chelios

Roy

Team 2020’s

Matthews - MacDavid - MacKinnon
Pastrnak - Draisaitl - Kucherov
J. Hughes - Pettersson - M. Tkachuk
Panarin - Crosby - Rantanen

Hedman - Makar
Q. Hughes - Fox
Josi - McAvoy

Hellebuyck

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Isn’t that more team 2010’s?

Edit: also if you’re excluding Wayne and Mario, shouldn’t you exclude Mc(not Mac)David and MacKinnon?

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Fine Crosby/Ovechkin (although Ovechkin seems to have been already excluded). Doesn’t really matter. My point was if you exclude the top two from 1990s you should exclude the top two from 2020(?)s.
That would only make sense if the top two players in the 2020s were equals to Gretzky/Lemieux. And we all know that's simply not the case whatsoever.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Who’d win a best of 7?

Rules: Each team has 3 home games each where they get to play in its own era and rules. Game 7 is played in a “neutral era”, let’s say the early 80’s to determine, and on neutral ice.

(Mario and Wayne are excluded from roster eligibility)

Team 1990’s

Bure - Forsberg - Jagr
Hull - Fedorov - Selanne
Modano - Lindros - Yzerman
Oates - Sakic - Neely

Lidstrom - Bourque
Coffey - MacInnis
Pronger - Chelios

Roy

Team 2020’s

Matthews - MacDavid - MacKinnon
Pastrnak - Draisaitl - Kucherov
J. Hughes - Pettersson - M. Tkachuk
Panarin - Crosby - Rantanen

Hedman - Makar
Q. Hughes - Fox
Josi - McAvoy

Hellebuyck

Are we getting the best version of each player, or what?

ie I see Crosby on the 4th line...is this today Crosby? Or 2020+ Crosby? Or is this Crosby at his very best? If It's Crosby at his very best - he's probably the most valuable player listed. If it's 2020+....fine for 4th line.

And...how about Forsberg? Or Lidstrom? Those guys actually did better in the 2000s then 90s...do we pick them at their best, or what?

Makes a big difference I think in how to vote.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It’s kind of crazy just how much I think the 90s team would bury the 20s, and that’s without Lemieux, Gretzky, and Hasek being a part of the team.

It's not all that crazy, technically. It helps a lot how much they all have full careers perception-wise vs the latter group.

Jack Hughes has just barely broken out....vs Sakic is an all-time great with a legendary career. Whose to say Hughes won't match/surpass him one day?

Lidstrom/Bourque/Coffey >>> Makar/Hughes/Fox.....for now. All 3 young ones have incredible career starts, who knows how high they rise?

It's just hard to give some of these young players proper historical context without seeing their whole career play out.

Also - the goalie situation is hialrious lol. OP probably should have left goalies off altogether. Roy vs Helle is....just wrong. At least put Vasi in there, with his smythe and cups.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It's not all that crazy, technically. It helps a lot how much they all have full careers perception-wise vs the latter group.

Jack Hughes has just barely broken out....vs Sakic is an all-time great with a legendary career. Whose to say Hughes won't match/surpass him one day?

Lidstrom/Bourque/Coffey >>> Makar/Hughes/Fox.....for now. All 3 young ones have incredible career starts, who knows how high they rise?

It's just hard to give some of these young players proper historical context without seeing their whole career play out.

Also - the goalie situation is hialrious lol. OP probably should have left goalies off altogether. Roy vs Helle is....just wrong. At least put Vasi in there, with his smythe and cups.

IMG_0947.gif

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

To add to that too, we’re missing half the decade in terms of other players breaking out. Bedard isn’t on this team but he’ll likely be a superstar by the time the decade is through. Celebrini maybe as well. And who knows what other guys missing might suddenly take things to a new level. If you do the 90s team only until 93-94, Sakic would be a worse player than he became (to touch on your Hughes comment), and Lidstrom, Jagr, Forsberg and Pronger either weren’t good enough to make it or weren’t even in the league yet. Modano probably doesn’t make it either until he rounds out his game under Hitch (and even then I’m not sure if he does)

Though I suppose even under the 93-94 cutoff, you could add Messier, Leetch, LaFontaine, Gilmour, Mogilny. It really was a strong time period

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
To add to that too, we’re missing half the decade in terms of other players breaking out. Bedard isn’t on this team but he’ll likely be a superstar by the time the decade is through. Celebrini maybe as well. And who knows what other guys missing might suddenly take things to a new level. If you do the 90s team only until 93-94, Sakic would be a worse player than he became (to touch on your Hughes comment), and Lidstrom, Jagr, Forsberg and Pronger either weren’t good enough to make it or weren’t even in the league yet. Modano probably doesn’t make it either until he rounds out his game under Hitch (and even then I’m not sure if he does)

Though I suppose even under the 93-94 cutoff, you could add Messier, Leetch, LaFontaine, Gilmour, Mogilny. It really was a strong time period

Here's a fun question too.

Whose a better playoff performer all-time? Joe Sakic or Auston Matthews? Absolutely ridiculous question right, since it's Sakic >>>> Matthews for playoffs?

But at this point in their careers of Matthews' current age.....it's actually Matthews >>> Sakic for playoffs.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You took away the 2 best players from the 90's and they'd still destroy the 2020's team.

The 2020's team wouldn't survive 80's style hockey, I'd think most of them wouldn't even want to play game 2 after getting their shit packed in game 1.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Team 2020s, in 5 or 6 games.

The greatness of the 1990s players was established against their peers, in their time.

The athletes of today are simply bigger, faster, better and play a game that moves much faster, is coached better. It requires faster thinking, more explosiveness, more responsibility away from the puck.

The goalies never had to worry about composite sticks turning the shot of ANY player on the ice into a legit scoring threat, the shooters never had to deal with lightweight body armor that turned ANY player on the ice into a shot-blocker.

The 1990s players played pond hockey compared to the 2020s players.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016

The greatness of the 1990s players was established against their peers, in their time.

The athletes of today are simply bigger, faster, better and play a game that moves much faster, is coached better. It requires faster thinking, more explosiveness, more responsibility away from the puck.

The goalies never had to worry about composite sticks turning the shot of ANY player on the ice into a legit scoring threat, the shooters never had to deal with lightweight body armor that turned ANY player on the ice into a shot-blocker.

Dude, we're talking about the 1990s, not the 1890s... A fair amount of players on the 90s team played in the league at the same time as Ovi and Crosby. A lot of this "players today are bigger, stronger, faster and better" crap is unbelievably overexaggerated. A lot of players on the 20s team are actually pretty small compared to 90s players, and as far as speed, have you never heard of Selanne, Bure, and Fedorov? Which players on the 20s team are as physical/strong as Lindros, Jagr, Pronger and Forsberg? Roy literally invented the style of goaltending that is used today and actually put up better numbers in his older age (in the early 2000s) as soon as equipment caught up. Speaking of equipment, you realize players were using composite sticks in the 90s and early 2000s right? I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I was using composite in the 90s, then around 2000 used the S19, great stick but broke a few.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Dude, we're talking about the 1990s, not the 1890s... A fair amount of players on the 90s team played in the league at the same time as Ovi and Crosby. A lot of this "players today are bigger, stronger, faster and better" crap is unbelievably overexaggerated. A lot of players on the 20s team are actually pretty small compared to 90s players, and as far as speed, have you never heard of Selanne, Bure, and Fedorov? Which players on the 20s team are as physical/strong as Lindros, Jagr, Pronger and Forsberg? Roy literally invented the style of goaltending that is used today and actually put up better numbers in his older age (in the early 2000s) as soon as equipment caught up. Speaking of equipment, you realize players were using composite sticks in the 90s and early 2000s right? I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

That guy doesn’t realize 43 year old Jagr was just outside the top 20 in scoring and 7th in Hart voting the same year McDavid came onto the scene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad