Teaching The Modern Snap Shot

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The proper flex will improve slapshot power and accuracy, and for some people intermediate sticks are the proper flex.

For instance, I tend to like 70 flex stick for slapshots and about 60-65 flex for wrist shots. I'm using a 55 flex intermediate now and, yes the slappers lose power anc accuracy, but my goalie couldn't believe I was getting my wrist/snap shot out of that flex. It's all in the kick points and technique though.

Brett Hull used 62 flex Eastons and was 5'10 and 200 pounds.
I use 55-65 flex sticks and am 5'7 and 195 pounds.

I've got his shooting DVD and I cut mine down to the exact same height (just below the bottom lip).

Proportionally, I'm using a stiffer stick than he did, even if the stick seems extremely whippy to others.

I don't know. I'm 6' about 175 and I use a 87 flex. I just bought it, my snap/wrister are kinda suffering from it(wrister moreso) but my slapper and one timer is pretty much perfect with that stick.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
No way.. I have a 67-70 flex intermediate that I tried using at the ODR last year, couldn't even take a slapper because the stick just flexed too much. I'm only 5'10 ish and 165, I typically use an 85 flex Warrior Widow which I find is perfect for snap and slappers. Cannot even imagine using a 60 flex.

It might also depend on how different manufacturers rate their flexes. Recently, I flexed a friends Warrior senior 75 flex stick and I was surprised that it was whippier than my BASE inter 55 flex stick.

Last edited:

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
How can an adult have a 55 flex stick I do not understand.

Did you read the post? It's stiffer than a 75 flex Warrior stick despite being rated 55. Yeah, it freaks out my team mates too when they learn that. Anyhow, in addition to that, it's cut down 3" which stiffens its flex by around 10. I'm actually considering trying BASE's 45 flex inter stick. :amazed:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
How can an adult have a 55 flex stick I do not understand.

I'm short at 5'7. If I used an 85 flex stick, I would have to cut it down about 7". That would increase the flex to nearly 120. Even a standard intermediate at 65 flex when cut down 3-4" goes up to about 80 flex.

The Warrior stick I use is low kick, so they feel stiffer than rated. If Easton's 65 flex is a baseline, the 70 flex felt closer to 75-80 flex. So when I cut down the stick 3-4", it felt like about 90-95 flex and was too stiff.

That's why I tried the 55 flex...I chopped off 3-4" and it went to about 70-75 flex. It's a little whippy, yes, and slappers are going to torque on me, but for pure wrist/snap shots, it works really well.

In the future, I'll look for sticks that either have top hand flex points or uniform flex. My Vapor X:60 was a 75 flex intermediate (intermediate length but stiffer than normal) and when I chopped it down the flex was probably 90 or so, but it flexed at the top hand, so it felt maybe 5-10 flex softer.

Side note, Base sticks always felt about 10 flex whippier than rated. Their 65 flex intermediates felt like about 55-60 flex to me. I run into the local Base rep all the time and have checked out a number of their sticks. When I handed him my 75 flex intermediate, he thought it was stiffer than his usual 100 flex stick. But that's because he's 6' tall and uses a stick about 6" longer than mine.

I'd say it's 75% stick length and 25% personal preference. The taller you are, the longer stick you use, and the whippier it will feel at any given length, so you go up in flex to compensate.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
There's no such thing as "snap shot". It's just a wrist shot.

:laugh: Sorry if I seem harsh here but that's nearly beyond wrong. The technique we're referring too is very different from a traditional wrist shot. Of course, it has some elements of the wrist shot, no doubt, but the two are certainly quite different. You'll notice that if you try to execute both. The snap shot uses more of your inner shoulder and body weight as leverage while the normal wrister is more about rhythm and the sweeping motion.

Last edited:

Coachtdoig

Nov 14, 2013
London, Ontario
There's no such thing as "snap shot". It's just a wrist shot.

Well both do have similar movements their is actually quite a difference in a snap shot and wrist ****. Both shots are similar in the fact that you have to roll and snap your wrists to get power, velocity and height on your shot.

Transferring weight from your back to front leg is key during a wrist shot to generate power where a snap shot you generate that same power just off of your inside leg.

If anyone would like me to make a quick video on either shot or exercises you can do to help work on those shots just let me know.

Ciao,
TD

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Well both do have similar movements their is actually quite a difference in a snap shot and wrist ****. Both shots are similar in the fact that you have to roll and snap your wrists to get power, velocity and height on your shot.

Transferring weight from your back to front leg is key during a wrist shot to generate power where a snap shot you generate that same power just off of your inside leg.

If anyone would like me to make a quick video on either shot or exercises you can do to help work on those shots just let me know.

Ciao,
TD

Ideally, it could be off either your inside or outer depending on your stride?

I would love videos on how to, and especially strengthening exercises. I am looking for a super simple set of exercises I can do every other day at home. It's looking like pushups, zottoman curls, squats with no weights, 1 legged rowing, and a few specific prescribed PT exercises. If I can add 1 or 2 more simple things that will allow me to shoot harder that's cool.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012

I would love videos on how to, and especially strengthening exercises. I am looking for a super simple set of exercises I can do every other day at home. It's looking like pushups, zottoman curls, squats with no weights, 1 legged rowing, and a few specific prescribed PT exercises. If I can add 1 or 2 more simple things that will allow me to shoot harder that's cool.

Seconded. My shots are terrible and I think there is just a simple thing I am doing wrong. Any exercises etc would be amazing.

Coachtdoig

Nov 14, 2013
London, Ontario

If you shoot left it will be off of your left leg and if you shoot right it will be off of your right leg. That is not to say that sometimes snap shots aren't performed off your other leg or both legs it is just more functional and you will generate the most power from shooting off of the leg that you shoot.

Ciao,
TD

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Coach has been making good points in this thread. In stride, you need to do it off your inside leg generally but if you're still, it's fine to transfer the weight normally.

Coachtdoig

Nov 14, 2013
London, Ontario

Here is a quick video on a few exercises you can do pretty much anywhere that will help with your wrist and snap shots.

http://youtu.be/JBUdQ6LeOCY

Ciao,
TD

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Great video!

Might have to see if I have a 2.5# plate around. I do shoot with orange pucks sometimes, those are quite heavy feeling.

Maybe that's something that I haven't considered. I've got ridiculously large forearms from many years of playing the drums for hours at a time. Makes it easy for me to snap the wrists while others might have to build up the strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad