TD Bank signs deal to keep its name on the Garden until 2045

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1673513936132.png

TD Bank will keep its green-and-white logo in lights at the TD Garden for another 20 years, having signed a new naming rights deal with arena owner Delaware North more than two years before the bank’s existing one was set to expire.

Cherry Hill, N.J.-based TD Bank and Delaware North plan to announce the extension on Thursday. The companies aren’t disclosing the financial terms, although the annual cost likely exceeds the $6 million a year that was initially reported when the current deal took effect in 2005. With the latest extension, TD Bank has committed more than $15 million in community programming over the coming two decades, including a new initiative that provides free concert and special event tickets to individuals or groups from underserved communities, and another one that will commission local artwork to be displayed in and around the arena.

The name of the nearly 20,000-seat TD Garden, home to both the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics, is now set in place until mid-2045.

“Can you imagine having a 40-year-relationship with a naming rights partner?” TD Garden president Amy Latimer said. “It’s a gift to find an organization that is easy to work with [like TD]. ... We have two organizations that were so aligned on how we want to treat our customers, our associates, and our community.”

The talks grew out of discussions between TD Bank and Delaware North about how best to deliver on the existing naming rights deal during the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, when in-person events weren’t taking place. Latimer said Delaware North didn’t put the naming rights on the market, and instead maintained exclusive negotiations with TD Bank. (The arena hosted about 160 public events in 2022, Latimer said, bringing it close to pre-pandemic levels of activity.)

“We didn’t have to do it early, but why not?” Sheryl McQuade, TD Bank’s New England president, said of the renewal. “We knew we were committed to staying in the partnership. It certainly made sense for us to do it early and to get out ahead of that.”

The naming rights extension also took shape as TD Bank, a subsidiary of Toronto-Dominion Bank, is trying to grow its presence in New England, particularly the Boston area. TD Bank recently opened a new branch in East Boston, with another one opening soon in Jamaica Plain. TD Bank is the fourth largest retail bank in Massachusetts, based on deposit market share, but is seventh in the city of Boston.

“We believe it will be a really good way to leapfrog our growth in Boston,” McQuade said.

The building’s banking ties go back to its construction in the early 1990s as it was being built next to the old Boston Garden. It was originally supposed to be called the Shawmut Center, though by the time it opened in 1995, Fleet had acquired Shawmut and inherited the naming rights. Thus, the FleetCenter was born.

That name lasted for about a decade, until Bank of America acquired what had become FleetBoston Financial, and decided it no longer wanted to sponsor the arena. That’s when Bill Ryan, a banker who led what was then called Banknorth, stepped in. Ryan, a big Boston sports fan, wanted to restore the “Garden” moniker to the arena. He got his wish by signing a new naming rights deal, after Toronto-Dominion acquired a majority interest in Banknorth. The building was known as TD Banknorth Garden for several years, until TD Banknorth and New Jersey-based Commerce Bank merged under the name, TD Bank, and the arena’s name was shortened to its current form in 2009.

“We always like to be correct and clear, that it’s the ‘TD Garden,’ ” McQuade said. “[But] that sentiment, ‘The Garden,’ the legacy name of that is very important.”

Attachments

• 1673513883393.png
    1673513883393.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Considering the history of North American banking business consolidations over the last 150 years (long before the new "Garden" was built), this naming deal makes me wonder how long "TD" will be TD.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Considering the history of North American banking business consolidations over the last 150 years (long before the new "Garden" was built), this naming deal makes me wonder how long "TD" will be TD.
It’s canadas largest bank, it’s based in Canada and the Canadian banking regulator has forbid any further consolidation of the big five it’s assets in Canada dwarf those in the US. It’s highly unlikely it changes its name even in the next 50 years

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It’s canadas largest bank, it’s based in Canada and the Canadian banking regulator has forbid any further consolidation of the big five it’s assets in Canada dwarf those in the US. It’s highly unlikely it changes its name even in the next 50 years
I'm prerty sure that the naming rights holder is actually "TD Bank, NA" which is a US subsidiary of the Canadian "Toronto Dominion Bank" . While I see it unlikely that the Canadian parent changes its name, I could see the US subsidiary changing theirs. For example, if the Toronto-Dominion Bank acquired a larger US bank with a better known name, I could see them adopting for that name for the US subsidaiary. I could also see Toronto-Dominion selling the US subsidiary to another bank or simply spinning it off as a separate company. Both of which could result in a new name.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I'm prerty sure that the naming rights holder is actually "TD Bank, NA" which is a US subsidiary of the Canadian "Toronto Dominion Bank" . While I see it unlikely that the Canadian parent changes its name, I could see the US subsidiary changing theirs. For example, if the Toronto-Dominion Bank acquired a larger US bank with a better known name, I could see them adopting for that name for the US subsidaiary. I could also see Toronto-Dominion selling the US subsidiary to another bank or simply spinning it off as a separate company. Both of which could result in a new name.
Doubtful, US banks are much more fragmented and regional then Canadian banks. In this example TD purchased Bank North which was a North East specific bank in the US. BMO owns Harris Bank, which was chicago and had operations in the Midwest primarily. Even scotia the misbegotten sister of the five has operations mainly in Florida to support their carribbean business. They've all also been slowly removing the original names and sticking to the canadian ones in there US ops which from a branding standpoint makes sense if your trying to build brand recogonition on a longer time frame which fits with this arena deal. If they sold there business though your right I could see them remove the name but seeing as Canadian market is saturated they likely see there only prospects for growth coming from the US for the forseeable future.

FWIW once upon a time I worked as a bank equity analyst for BMO so I used to get reports from all of them on what there long term objectives we're and expansion via organic growth and acquisition into the US (and latin america for Scotia) was always mentioned.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Doubtful, US banks are much more fragmented and regional then Canadian banks. In this example TD purchased Bank North which was a North East specific bank in the US. BMO owns Harris Bank, which was chicago and had operations in the Midwest primarily. Even scotia the misbegotten sister of the five has operations mainly in Florida to support their carribbean business. They've all also been slowly removing the original names and sticking to the canadian ones in there US ops which from a branding standpoint makes sense if your trying to build brand recogonition on a longer time frame which fits with this arena deal. If they sold there business though your right I could see them remove the name but seeing as Canadian market is saturated they likely see there only prospects for growth coming from the US for the forseeable future.

FWIW once upon a time I worked as a bank equity analyst for BMO so I used to get reports from all of them on what there long term objectives we're and expansion via organic growth and acquisition into the US (and latin america for Scotia) was always mentioned.
I wasn't saying it was likely, just that I could see circumstances in which it could happen. Yes, if bank strategies remain the same, then it's probably very unlikely. But companies change strategies all the time. In any event, I have a strong dislike of things being stated as absolutes like you did in your original post.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Gotta love with impending recession, massive inflation, hiked interest rates, that a bank is still like, cool let's dash some cash to have our name on a building that we otherwise have nothing to do with. It's a boss move. Don't care what the plebes are going through.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Gotta love with impending recession, massive inflation, hiked interest rates, that a bank is still like, cool let's dash some cash to have our name on a building that we otherwise have nothing to do with. It's a boss move. Don't care what the plebes are going through.

Maybe it was the perfect time to do this as they could get it cheaper than they could have three years ago.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Nothing stopping them from selling their US operations. It's happened in this league already...

Reactions: Colezuki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad