GDT: tblcar

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
It's weird that Skinner/Rask/Stemp had 2 bad games after a torrid start, and don't get reunited right? The 3 apart have all looked much less effective. And it's not like anyone else is benefiting from the breakup. Very curious.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's weird that Skinner/Rask/Stemp had 2 bad games after a torrid start, and don't get reunited right? The 3 apart have all looked much less effective. And it's not like anyone else is benefiting from the breakup. Very curious.

I'm curious. Do you have stats that say the 3 of them apart have been less effective? I don't disagree, but not sure how it looks since Stempniak has, well, stuck for the last 20 games. Is your data "skewed" by the fact that Stempniak was good for the first 4-5 games and then stunk afterwards?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yeah, this seems to be more a case of Stempniak costing himself playing time because he's been terrible out there. Not a fan of his work lately. Skinner/Rask look much better with a more physical player on the other wing whether that is PDG, Stalberg or whoever.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Stempniak is striking me as a better version of Radek Dvorak when he was here 3 years ago. Awesome newcomer the first week and then just all downhill. I hope he can get his **** together because unlike Dvorak he was a workhorse during the first road trip and we need all of that effort we can get from him as the season goes on.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Stempniak I think belongs on the first line with Skinner and Rask. He's been the best fit there. We signed him to be there. He's struggled, but so has much of the team. I agree with Wally, it's weird he's been all over the place instead of given another shot there. He looks a little lost with all the other choices other than maybe jstaal.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
With Stemp, I think it is more so trying to spread the skill around. However, we are now seeing he can't create things on his own and carry a line. Reminds me a lot like Tlusty.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I'm curious. Do you have stats that say the 3 of them apart have been less effective? I don't disagree, but not sure how it looks since Stempniak has, well, stuck for the last 20 games. Is your data "skewed" by the fact that Stempniak was good for the first 4-5 games and then stunk afterwards?

I dunno, here's what I found for data:

Skinner and Stemp Together
4.39 GF/60 2.00 GA/60
Skinner without
1.86 GF/60 3.40 GA/60
Stemp without
0.40 GF/60 1.59 GA/60

Rask and Stemp
4.80 GF/60 1.60 GA/60
Rask without
2.16 GF/60 3.09 GA/60
Stemp without
0 GF/60 1.97 GA/60

They've played half their time together, the other half apart. So around 12 games together. Stemp had 6 in the first 5. Then went scoreless the next 5, but was a +4 in those. I'm not sure when the line broke up. I want to say Stemp got moved down to play with Lindholm on the 3rd around game 10 at the beginning of the great Lindholm shuffle, but I'm guessing there.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
^
Thanks Wally, that's what I was looking for. While the sample size isn't huge and could be skewed by the first 5 games, the data you posted is still pretty compelling. Especially with all the injuries, you would think it would make sense to re-unite that line, as you suggested.

Whalermania

Dec 25, 2014
I think at the time it was more about getting Lindholm going and trying Stempniak with the supposedly offensive minded Ryan.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
^
Thanks Wally, that's what I was looking for. While the sample size isn't huge and could be skewed by the first 5 games, the data you posted is still pretty compelling. Especially with all the injuries, you would think it would make sense to re-unite that line, as you suggested.

Phew. I was afraid you were going to tell me this is why I'm not the Hurricanes head coach.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I was in the building for my first shutout ever. I have never been to a game where the Hurricanes didn't win. Hurricanes org season tix plx.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
^

I thought Stemp looked good with Jordan as well. I'd love to see Aho/Staal/Stempniak for a period of time. I really like the Skinner/Rask/PDG line and think it easily could rekindle some of last season's magic. Despite being better known as a banger, PDG has some pretty good hands (missing open nets aside) and is a very good passer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad