Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Tampa re-signs J.T. Miller (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Tyler Johnson can return a pretty penny..

I bet Alex Killorn would get a solid return without retaining/taking any on.

There's enough for Tavares, no ?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Well, that seals the Tavares deal. Unless this is all still apart of the Yzerplan. Value wise, this is pretty much what he is worth. I wonder if there is a NTC or NMC? That would turn the deal a little sour for me.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Good for JT, happy for him. I'm sure there will be many that think this is an over-payment, but if he continues to play with Stamkos/Kuch, I think his production will match his value.

This also answers the questions about why the Rangers traded him. From their perspective, the player simply wasn't worth the contract and I'm inclined to agree. He wasn't going to put up similar numbers for them as he will playing with the top line in TB.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think this means we struck out on Tavares.

I don't like committing money to this player, after the playoffs he had.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Seems like a fair contract, he looked pretty good on TB so far, if he can keep it up he'll easily be worth the money.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Tampa Bay cap space now at 5.3 million.

Trading Johnson frees up 10 million once again. If we remove Girardi and Coburn (trade or buy out), that will clear up 6.7 million.

Tampa is not out of the Tavares race just yet. But yes, this signing does make it more difficult if Yzerman doesn't have (any) trade partner(s) lined up.

Jan 21, 2018
Think this takes TB out of the running. Unless they manage to move 2 of Johnson, Callahan and Killorn before July 1st.

Leaf fans right now:

Tavares: Okay I've decided to play for Tampa

Yzerman: Sorry man I don't want to acquire a legit #1C for free because I'm too lazy to move 2 of Johnson, Callahan and Killorn before July 1st.

Tavares: Sigh...I guess I'll just sign with the Leafs and give them a massive discount too.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is a bold statement in light of the meeting ahead with JT. One has to wonder is this a bold salvo to get JT or is it a salvo TB are out of the running? Since they are still scheduled to present. Which makes this Yzerman signing very interesting, And not as obvious as 1st thought.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This doesn't mean Tampa is out on Tavares, they were a longshot to begin with, they still have almost 5.5 in space and can go over the cap by 10%. So Tavares at 9.5 doesn't put them over by more than that. They can still work trades of Johnson or Killorn if needed. Also just cause Miller is signed doesn't mean he's here longterm either.

Anyone know if he got any NTC or not? Looks like the Schenn deal if he didn't.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Seems a bit high, but looked real good in TB. Should he continue that trend, he'll earn the deal.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Leaf fans right now:

Tavares: Okay I've decided to play for Tampa

Yzerman: Sorry man I don't want to acquire a legit #1C for free because I'm too lazy to move 2 of Johnson, Callahan and Killorn before July 1st.

Tavares: Sigh...I guess I'll just sign with the Leafs and give them a massive discount too.
It's funny because this is exactly what they're thinking lmao.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
I don’t think this is that bad, but why the hell did they fly to Cali to meet with JT?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Interesting. Like the Killorn contract, this is the type I thought Yzerman would avoid. They have so many stars including guys that will need new deals soon like Kuch, Vasi and Point. They should be going to a stars and scrubs cap model and keeping the mid-tier $4-6 M AAV deals to a minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad