Confirmed with Link: [TBL/SJS] Lightning trade Vlad Namestnikov (50% retained) for Michael Eyssimont

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think our forward group will be as strong as it was in 2021 if the new guys pan out. Definitely stronger than last year. Defense is a mess though, and I dont see any way to truly fix it.

The defense is what it is, we knew that going into the season and still got a surprise in Perbix. Everyone was screaming for upgrades in the bottom 9 and at least that has been addressed.

Even a depth defenseman add isn't going to help, it'll be a marginal move at best, the only thing you can hope for is Hedman finds his form come playoff time.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
The defense is what it is, we knew that going into the season and still got a surprise in Perbix. Everyone was screaming for upgrades in the bottom 9 and at least that has been addressed.
My concern is that at the end of the day we always knew we had the best defense and goalie in the league during the cup runs. Not sure we can execute the same way now that our defense is a liability. We were never successful before when we relied on our offense. That seemed like pre-2020 days.

We won the cups by having the ability to lock teams down when we needed to. So many 3rd periods we won when we were up by a goal because we shut the game down. That was our identity. Thats not there anymore. Dont see how we can change formulas and beat a better Eastern conference.

Reactions: Belos

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
My concern is that at the end of the day we always knew we had the best defense and goalie in the league during the cup runs. Not sure we can execute the same way now that our defense is a liability. We were never successful before when we relied on our offense. That seemed like pre-2020 days.

We won the cups by having the ability to lock teams down when we needed to. So many 3rd periods we won when we were up by a goal because we shut the game down. That was our identity. Thats not there anymore. Dont see how we can change formulas and beat a better Eastern conference.
Wouldn't rule that out just yet. We have players capable of shutting the game down, it's just a matter of Cooper finding the line and designating that as their task. Overall, team defense needs to be better. If there's a team in the east capable of sorting through that quickly, its us. Toronto just had a 33% team change and Boston hasn't had high stakes games in quite some time. We've been there. Plus, a lot of guys that haven't won one want to.

I don't feel there's a gap this year between us, Boston, Toronto and the Rangers. Realistically, the moves they made and how good they are put us all on par I'd say. There might be an advantage here and there, but the gap over the last few years has closed imo.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021

Even a depth defenseman add isn't going to help, it'll be a marginal move at best, the only thing you can hope for is Hedman finds his form come playoff time.
Regular season Perbix almost offset the loss of McD. Engblom always says nothing bothers Perbix - hopefully it will be true of the playoffs as well. Seems like a lot of ask of a rookie though.

Hedman has taken a step back from his career year (both offensively and defensively), so it could be a dropoff from both of our two strongest defensemen of last year. Maybe Serge will show us he's worth the money.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Holy fuuuuck what a trade!

Not only we free up cap space and trade a deadweigh, but we get value in return by getting a 4th liner with wheels and strong presence on the ice that instantly becomes our best 4th liner? And he's RFA at the end of the season?

JBB the GOAT

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It was about time, Vlad just didn’t fit. Good luck to him though!

So how do you pronounce Mikey’s last name?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It makes sense for a team that's selling off though. A guy like Namestnikov could score some points on a bottom feeder.
I guess but he's only signed through end of this season? Just wanted a test drive that bad?

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I honestly hope that Cooper actually uses Eyssimont and doesn't stick to the current 4th line.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I like the like the move but doesn’t look like he’s any good at faceoffs. Not sure he can replace PEB….maybe Patty isn’t a slam dunk to be in the lineup?

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I like the like the move but doesn’t look like he’s any good at faceoffs. Not sure he can replace PEB….maybe Patty isn’t a slam dunk to be in the lineup?

I doubt he even replaces anyone in our top 12. He's prob the 13th.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Eyssimont had been doing well with Couture and Barabanov ... frankly he was playing better offensively than Couture but I think that speaks more to Logan's effectiveness these days. He's a great forechecker with a great motor, and gets off a good amount of shots for the minutes he plays. Obviously he won't be on the 2nd line like in SJ but on the 4th I think he'll fit in perfectly. Between Jeannot, Perry, and Eyssimont, the bottom 6 should drive Toronto crazy in the 1st round.

Last edited:

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Give me:

Hagel - Point - Kuch

Stamkos - Cirelli - Paul

Killorn - Eyssimont - Jeannot

PEB - Colton - Perry

Reactions: Peacefool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad