Recalled/Assigned: TBL recall Joel Vermin from SYC

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Good for Vermin. It's nice to see him get the nod when they could have went with Angelidis, McGinn, or Tambellini. He has a full AHL season under his belt, plus a handful more from his time in the Swiss A League, including the 2012/13 lockout season that saw a lot of NHLers play in Switzerland, so he has a good amount of pro experience.

Dan D'Uva talking with Zettler about Vermin getting his first call-up

https://soundcloud.com/syracusecrunch/rob-zettler-pregame-nov-18

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No Richard? Kids got skill and grit, if Paquette can't go he's a better replacement.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sadly, it feels like we've turned back the clock about three years, when the most exciting thing about the team was getting a close look at prospects. Hoping that changes. And, who knows? Maybe Vermin will be part of that change.

It's interesting (to me, anyway) that, by pretty much all accounts, he had a bad year in Syracuse last year, yet I feel like I was lucky enough to see his good moments, because in the handful of Crunch games I watched (not a lot), he always stood out in a good way. Nice mix of skill and grit.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Picked up his first NHL point and ended up playing with Kuch and Vlad, didn't look out of place. Joe's been a quite pleasant surprise.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Picked up his first NHL point and ended up playing with Kuch and Vlad, didn't look out of place. Joe's been a quite pleasant surprise.

I watched the games and i must say that i was surprised by how well he played.

Not that he played badly here, in my team in Switzerland Bern, But playing well at the NHL level is another affair. Last year he was at 0,5 pt/game in the AHL. And this year he is much higher ... was under the radar.

This being said, he really looked good. fast and dangerous. Creating things on the ice.
And the point he had against ANA was a nice work he did, going around the net, attracting and destabilizing the defense ... and then Kucherov ended up not being properly covered on the ice on the other side and could score . (he was not the simple beneficiary of a routine pass with a great shot at the end that lands him a point "for free")

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Glad he proved me wrong, still prefer Richard to any other call up we've had do far this year. Vermin and Marchessault have speed and skill but they don't have the grit that Brown or Richard have. Prefer a mix of both in my bottom 6.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Glad he proved me wrong, still prefer Richard to any other call up we've had do far this year. Vermin and Marchessault have speed and skill but they don't have the grit that Brown or Richard have. Prefer a mix of both in my bottom 6.

Don't sell Vermin or Marchy short, they both bring some salt to the game. Neither of them are afraid to get a little dirty. Vermin has also apparently developed a pesty side to his game this year.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Don't sell Vermin or Marchy short, they both bring some salt to the game. Neither of them are afraid to get a little dirty. Vermin has also apparently developed a pesty side to his game this year.

He had one hit in particular against Anaheim that made me do a double take. Just plastered the guy on the boards that took him off his feet. Good solid, shoulder to shoulder check. For a second there I thought it was Witakowski. :laugh:

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014

Dont know that Brown can be described as a gritty player.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
What? He's not afraid to mix it up and has dropped them with much bigger players.

Brown has 2 career NHL fights. I mean, I agree that Brown adds some grit to the lineup, but not a lot more than Vermin or Marchy have in their short cups of coffee.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Brown has 2 career NHL fights. I mean, I agree that Brown adds some grit to the lineup, but not a lot more than Vermin or Marchy have in their short cups of coffee.

How many fights has the team had in the past two years? Take away the call up fights (Witkowski, Blunden and Angelidis) he probably has more fights then anybody on the team in that time. Not saying he's a tough guy but he's more willing to scrap then anyone.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We had a pretty healthy lineup skating today, apparently, so it looks like Vermin will be heading down. Great showing though. If this was a test to see if he might someday be an NHL regular (somewhere), he easily passed.

JAM's situation might leave us with a tougher decision. Not gonna be easy to send him down.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm a big fan of Brown, and I agree with you both that he adds a bit of grit to the bottom 6. Just saying that Vermin and Marchy have both brought that as well. Marchy was always right around the net and bothering the defenders. He had half the Ducks roster after him in the 3rd period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad