Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NYR] Barclay Goodrow’s UFA rights for a 2022 7th round pick

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
As a lower line player, if this is his one chance to cash in, then all the best too him. He's earned it.
Totally agreed. I liked Barclay during his time with the Sharks and glad he had success with you guys. Good on him. He made the NHL at a young age, but couldn't stick around until recently. Seems he found his place in the last couple years.

Also just realized I'm on the Lightning board, not main board. Woops.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Totally agreed. I liked Barclay during his time with the Sharks and glad he had success with you guys. Good on him. He made the NHL at a young age, but couldn't stick around until recently. Seems he found his place in the last couple years.

Also just realized I'm on the Lightning board, not main board. Woops.
From undrafted free agent to valuable piece of a back to back Stanley Cup Championship team is a heck of a story. San Jose was right to not want to give him to us so easily. You win with guys like Goodrow.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
The fact that we got a draft pick (Even if it is a 7th) for a guy we were going to lose in a couple of weeks anyhow, I give this trade an A+. Good work JBB. I'll miss Goodrow, but we have some prospects that have been sniping in the heels for a chance.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I don't see anything scary about giving Goodie 6 year term.

If we can get him at a price that works for us short term (say, $2.5m or less), I don't see any problem with committing to that for 6. Dude is 28; the last year will be his age 33-34 season. It's possible there's a bad year or two at the end of that deal, but it's no big thing. (Heck, we *signed* Coburn at age 34 for $1.7m/year for another two years.)

I assume it's the cost, not the term, that's keeping us away.

And of course there's no rule against us being the ones to sign him as a UFA once August rolls around. (Not that I think that's gonna happen, but will keep my fingers crossed until the Rangers actually announce a deal.)

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I figured it was going to be a wait and see thing, since we obviously have trades coming up out of necessity. I honestly can't see Goodrow telling the Lightning he had no interest in returning, or that he demanded a ludicrous amount.

If McDonagh is left unprotected AND we don't have a deal for Seattle to take someone specific, I'm not liking the direction this is all going.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I figured it was going to be a wait and see thing, since we obviously have trades coming up out of necessity. I honestly can't see Goodrow telling the Lightning he had no interest in returning, or that he demanded a ludicrous amount.

If McDonagh is left unprotected AND we don't have a deal for Seattle to take someone specific, I'm not liking the direction this is all going.

It only gets uglier in 20 minutes...

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
It only gets uglier in 20 minutes...

I viewed Goodrow as almost a requirement for us to have a chance, that's why this one annoys me so much. The Goodrow/Coleman trades made us a grittier team, which is what we needed to become champions after choking so many years in a row. Getting rid of those gritty guys just seems like a very peculiar decision, especially if it ends up being in favor of keeping guys that were here during all of the choke jobs.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I viewed Goodrow as almost a requirement for us to have a chance, that's why this one annoys me so much. The Goodrow/Coleman trades made us a grittier team, which is what we needed to become champions after choking so many years in a row. Getting rid of those gritty guys just seems like a very peculiar decision, especially if it ends up being in favor of keeping guys that were here during all of the choke jobs.

Financially, we had no options. It's up to the kids and whatever deals we can make at the trade deadline.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
NOOOOOO :cry:

I really thought he'd be the easier of the two (Coleman) to sign :(

Too valuable and others will offer him too much $ and too much term

Just have to accept we're going to be a very different team.
Hopefully Gourde and and Colton can be our new 3rd line

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
This might be a "hot take" but only getting a 7th for his rights isn't great. I know it's just signing rights but I think we should have asked for slightly more. We paid a 1st for 2 years, we should have asked for a 4th or 5th. or signed him :(

Reactions: StaySalty

StaySalty

Apr 12, 2018
Lakeland, Florida
This might be a "hot take" but only getting a 7th for his rights isn't great. I know it's just signing rights but I think we should have asked for slightly more. We paid a 1st for 2 years, we should have asked for a 4th or 5th. or signed him :(
It sucks balls but we got two cups with him. The trade was fair even if it hurts now imho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad