Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NSH] Lightning trade Cal Foote, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th rd picks for Tanner Jeannot

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
So we just sit Names or Maroon or Bellemare every game? We have too many forwards. Not a bad thing but our biggest need seems to be more defense depth.
Vladdy or Bellemare will rotate getting sat, they won't do that to Patty. Wouldn't be shocked to see them try to sneak Vladdy to the minors.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
use for motivation as neccessary

Hate to say it, but the logic is sound. Fortunately sound logic does not always translate into a corresponding outcome, not in the short run anyway. However, in the long run, the regression is going to be both precipitous and lengthy so enjoy the ride while we're on it.

Reactions: NatoGhost

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Hate to say it, but the logic is sound. Fortunately sound logic does not always translate into a corresponding outcome, not in the short run anyway. However, in the long run, the regression is going to be both precipitous and lengthy so enjoy the ride while we're on it.
People keep saying this especially on social media, and I think its a bit of a mind game to think of 91 and 77 and go "well the roster is aging" but when you break it down... most of the "core guys" or guys locked up more than 2 years from now are all mid 20s. You also have some guys in the minors that'll never get love from prospect geeks, but the likelihood of a guy like Jack Thompson panning out into a guy that can play NHL caliber defense is pretty good, you've got some solid forwards behind that, and what is looking to be a rather valuable goaltender in Alnefelt. If they can't contribute to the roster, they should contribute to serviceable assets.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Honestly, why are we caring about what happens 5+ years from now?
Because no matter how much people say that, let's see how quickly the pitchforks come out once the decline does start. And, I don't think we're looking at 5+ years, I think we're looking at two, three tops before the wheels really start coming off. Having said that, it's all been great and I don't have any problem with JBBs approach with our new TJ because I don't really see the point in becoming what Pittsburgh or Washington have been for the past 5 years, or what a team like say Minnesota has been for the past twenty. Good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to get anywhere once they start. Once the decline starts, rip the band-aid off which is what JBB will have forced the franchise to do when the time comes.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
People keep saying this especially on social media, and I think its a bit of a mind game to think of 91 and 77 and go "well the roster is aging" but when you break it down... most of the "core guys" or guys locked up more than 2 years from now are all mid 20s. You also have some guys in the minors that'll never get love from prospect geeks, but the likelihood of a guy like Jack Thompson panning out into a guy that can play NHL caliber defense is pretty good, you've got some solid forwards behind that, and what is looking to be a rather valuable goaltender in Alnefelt. If they can't contribute to the roster, they should contribute to serviceable assets.
You can read my other post but what you've written here looks like the makings of a mushy middle team. The worst possible place to be. In the NHL it only pays to be really bad or really good.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Because no matter how much people say that, let's see how quickly the pitchforks come out once the decline does start. And, I don't think we're looking at 5+ years, I think we're looking at two, three tops before the wheels really start coming off. Having said that, it's all been great and I don't have any problem with JBBs approach with our new TJ because I don't really see the point in becoming what Pittsburgh or Washington have been for the past 5 years, or what a team like say Minnesota has been for the past twenty. Good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to get anywhere once they start. Once the decline starts, rip the band-aid off which is what JBB will have forced the franchise to do when the time comes.
In 3 years, expecting Hagel, Colton, Jeannot, and Perbix re-signings. Assuming all the UFA's walk. Our core is

Point
Kuch
Hagel
Colton
Jeannot
Cirelli
Paul
Cernak
Sergachev
Perbix
Vasy

That doesn't scream decline off a cliff. The average age of that is still 29 in 3 years. JBB is deciding to retool on the fly in 3 years + by using picks now for competitive NHL'ers who are young and can produce now. Its kind of clever. Yes, its also risky. But its not this huge terrible thing that will happen to us. I don't see us being a lottery pick still for a long time.

You can read my other post but what you've written here looks like the makings of a mushy middle team. The worst possible place to be. In the NHL it only pays to be really bad or really good.
I hate to agree with you, but yeah. There will need to be some clever FA signings to maintain, but it is doable.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Locked up long term:

Sergachev - 24 years old
Point - 26
Cirelli - 25
Paul - 27
Hagel - 24
Colton - 26
Jeannot - 25
Vasilevskiy - 28
Cernak - 25
Kucherov - 29

In 2 and 3 years two of our biggest contracts will come off the books in Stamkos and Hedman. Both will either take more team friendly deals or go elsewhere. Either way we will get some cap relief to recoup some of their production drop-off.

Bolts are gonna be just fine for a LONG time.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Vladdy or Bellemare will rotate getting sat, they won't do that to Patty. Wouldn't be shocked to see them try to sneak Vladdy to the minors.
You don’t think they would try to trade one of them for a 7th rounder As maybe the player will want to play full time somewhere else ?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Locked up long term:

Sergachev - 24 years old
Point - 26
Cirelli - 25
Paul - 27
Hagel - 24
Colton - 26
Jeannot - 25
Vasilevskiy - 28
Cernak - 25
Kucherov - 29

In 2 and 3 years two of our biggest contracts will come off the books in Stamkos and Hedman. Both will either take more team friendly deals or go elsewhere. Either way we will get some cap relief to recoup some of their production drop-off.

we contend for another 5 years thanks to JBB adding paul, hagel and jeannot !

In 3 years, expecting Hagel, Colton, Jeannot, and Perbix re-signings. Assuming all the UFA's walk. Our core is

Point
Kuch
Hagel
Colton
Jeannot
Cirelli
Paul
Cernak
Sergachev
Perbix
Vasy

That doesn't scream decline off a cliff. The average age of that is still 29 in 3 years. JBB is deciding to retool on the fly in 3 years + by using picks now for competitive NHL'ers who are young and can produce now. Its kind of clever. Yes, its also risky. But its not this huge terrible thing that will happen to us. I don't see us being a lottery pick still for a long time.

I hate to agree with you, but yeah. There will need to be some clever FA signings to maintain, but it is doable.
Not to mention if we get two or 3 kids to work out from our minors or juniors Howard, Edmonds and maybe finely?

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL

Point
Kuch
Hagel
Colton
Jeannot
Cirelli
Paul
Cernak
Sergachev
Perbix
Vasy

Locked up long term:

Sergachev - 24 years old
Point - 26
Cirelli - 25
Paul - 27
Hagel - 24
Colton - 26
Jeannot - 25
Vasilevskiy - 28
Cernak - 25
Kucherov - 29

Your both right, that's a pretty good lineup but it is it Cup contending lineup? Don't think so, particularly with quite a few up and coming powerhouse teams. And neither of you account for the inevitable injuries because whatever organizational depth there was or will be any time in the near future is gone. You are both looking at this team in a vacuum and only comparing it to itself. Other teams around the league are not just standing still. Like I said, the mushy middle is the worst place to be. Holding on to hope of just making the playoffs but not getting anywhere and not building anything. Pittsburgh is at that stage now. They've made the playoffs for the past 16 years but haven't won a round in last four years and now have aging veterans and nothing on the farm. All I'm saying is that the sooner teams recognize when it's really over as far as true Cup contention is concerned the better off they will be if they want to get back in the legit hunt as quickly as possible.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Your both right, that's a pretty good lineup but it is it Cup contending lineup? Don't think so, particularly with quite a few up and coming powerhouse teams. And neither of you account for the inevitable injuries because whatever organizational depth there was or will be any time in the near future is gone. You are both looking at this team in a vacuum and only comparing it to itself. Other teams around the league are not just standing still. Like I said, the mushy middle is the worst place to be. Holding on to hope of just making the playoffs but not getting anywhere and not building anything. Pittsburgh is at that stage now. They've made the playoffs for the past 16 years but haven't won a round in last four years and now have aging veterans and nothing on the farm. All I'm saying is that the sooner teams recognize when it's really over as far as true Cup contention is concerned the better off they will be if they want to get back in the legit hunt as quickly as possible.
Do you want JBB to sell coming off three cup finals?

Reactions: UseYourHedman

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Because we're fans of the team?
I will still root for the team but logic says we are more likely to have a chance now with guys who have won it a few times already and gone to the show numerous times. It's a window but a window with experience that we are after. And we have it now. With great players to build off of at the top to win cups. Just need to swing for the dept players as they've done over the last bit. It's sacrificial yes but a nice calculated one and could pay off again as the recipe hasn't changed much.

Reactions: Hoek

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
This isn't mentioning that all we'd need is another late bloomer, UFA or somebody like Howard to make the jump in a few years and rejuvenate the team. That's a lot of thinking way too far ahead, but contract wise, we are sitting pretty.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
This isn't mentioning that all we'd need is another late bloomer, UFA or somebody like Howard to make the jump in a few years and rejuvenate the team. That's a lot of thinking way too far ahead, but contract wise, we are sitting pretty.

We just need JBB to find some more untapped talent for free this offseason instead of giving away the farm for it.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
We just need JBB to find some more untapped talent for free this offseason instead of giving away the farm for it.
Yeah. Im not worried as so many outsiders are. Those fanbases are hoarding picks and watching playoff hockey after their team either doesn't make it or loses in round 1. I really like what JBB has done as far as valuing picks for ready players. He's essentially skirting development by plucking NHL ready players to fill these holes around the core.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah. Im not worried as so many outsiders are. Those fanbases are hoarding picks and watching playoff hockey after their team either doesn't make it or loses in round 1. I really like what JBB has done as far as valuing picks for ready players. He's essentially skirting development by plucking NHL ready players to fill these holes around the core.
It'd be one thing if JBB was trading for older UFAs with all of the picks. But he's not. I think is because the overvaluing of picks are happening. I'd understand overvaluing picks if we still don't have a window for a couple years.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
It'd be one thing if JBB was trading for older UFAs with all of the picks. But he's not. I think is because the overvaluing of picks are happening. I'd understand overvaluing picks if we still don't have a window for a couple years.
Indeed.
People might not have noticed, but all acquisitions made between last year and this year are for guys that are entering their prime (Hagel 24, Jeannot 25, Paul 27). It's not like he's dealing our future assets for players that still have 2 years of contribution and then are done.

If I think the evolution of this roster under JBB, how he's had to navigate the cap and try to maintain a very competent top9 and set it up to be very competent in the future... nothing short of incredible honestly.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Yes, Perbix was not a JBB pick though. And we tend to see them coming a few years out. I think enough time has passed to say we aren't seeing Cirelli and Point type gems. We knew those were homeruns within a couple of years.
Huuhtanen

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Honestly, why are we caring about what happens 5+ years from now?
Because 5 years from not some people want to see entertaining hockey not the train wreck of a spent team for one more cup. Especially when you sold the farm for a player like Jeannot. This time next year it will be apparent. This overpayment really closes the widow as well . Be prepared for washed up defensemen to fill out the roster starting as soon as next fall.

It is short sighted for a Gm to spends that amount of assets for a CB player unless said player is generational. Looks like the trigger here was the guy could be cheap to sign.

Now before you tear into this know this I live in the Nashville market and I have likely seen more of Jeannot than any of you. I’m not saying he id necessarily a bad player but damnit man you do not pay thru the nose for a guy like this. Consider this it would be like Nashville paying the same for Colton. And that’s no devaluing Ross .

Reactions: Rschmitz

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
sign me up for not giving a shit about losing out on 4th and 5th round picks that wouldn't ever make the nhl anyway.

the preds wanted two firsts, that was their market value. even with the leafs purported interest as well, we still gave them a lot less than what they were asking for originally.

SOURCE: also lives in the nashville market and has seen Jeannot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad