Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NJD] Louis Domingue for 2021 conditional 7th round pick

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I wonder where and for what.

Who's looking?

Edit: Could it be a last minute call up or do those get announced differently?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I think there were rumors yesterday of the Devils wanting to upgrade their #3 with the current struggles in net. I'm not sure I'd go with Domingue personally, but it would make some sense.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Tampa Bay shall receive New Jersey's own seventh-round pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft if any one of the following conditions is met:
1) Domingue plays in seven NHL regular-season games for the New Jersey Devils during the 2019-2020 NHL regular season; or
2) Domingue plays in one NHL playoff game for the New Jersey Devils during the 2020 NHL playoffs; or
3) Domingue is traded by the New Jersey Devils prior to the start of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Tampa Bay shall receive New Jersey's own seventh-round pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft if any one of the following conditions is met:
1) Domingue plays in seven NHL regular-season games for the New Jersey Devils during the 2019-2020 NHL regular season; or
2) Domingue plays in one NHL playoff game for the New Jersey Devils during the 2020 NHL playoffs; or
3) Domingue is traded by the New Jersey Devils prior to the start of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.

New Jersey doesn’t even think he’ll play 7 games? And if he does all they get is a 7th round pick? Color me shocked! So tell me again how this guy was so good he was going to be too expensive to re-sign lightning fans?

FlamesFreak4

Oct 10, 2012
Calgary
I still don’t understand why the lightning didn’t keep him for the backup role and went out and spent more on McElhinney...

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017

Really nice to see the conditions laid out in front of you, rather then having to go a week with some general speculation, and then eventually the information shows up on some website we all trust just enough to believe it's true.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Wonder if this means Schneider gets traded later on, probably goes with Hall wherever he goes.

Eh the devils won't be hurting for cap space for a while - I would hope Shero doesn't negate some of Hall's value by tagging Cory along with him.

I think a buyout makes much more sense.

Reactions: deckercky

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
You don't depreciate a return that much by including Schneider. Sens tried to do that with Karlsson/Ryan and couldn't get anyone to bite.

Good move for the Devils for getting another nhl caliber goalie in the system. They needed the insurance.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
New Jersey doesn’t even think he’ll play 7 games? And if he does all they get is a 7th round pick? Color me shocked! So tell me again how this guy was so good he was going to be too expensive to re-sign lightning fans?
A thing exists called Cap Space, which Tampa didn't have to resign him this year. Hard concept to understand, I know.

Reactions: JoVel

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
A thing exists called Cap Space, which Tampa didn't have to resign him this year. Hard concept to understand, I know.

domingue 1.15M cap hit
McElhinney 1.3M cap hit

so you’re telling me a guy that isn’t even worth a 7th round pick without it being conditional on him playing a paltry 7 games is going to command more than 1.3M next season?

Understanding player value is a hard concept to grasp I get it. That’s why teams end up overpaying trash players and why you think domingue will command more than 1.3M to re-sign

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
They needed to do something, hopefully Domingue can atleast give them average goaltending as opposed to the rubbish they've seen so far.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
domingue 1.15M cap hit
McElhinney 1.3M cap hit

so you’re telling me a guy that isn’t even worth a 7th round pick without it being conditional on him playing a paltry 7 games is going to command more than 1.3M next season?

Understanding player value is a hard concept to grasp I get it. That’s why teams end up overpaying trash players and why you think domingue will command more than 1.3M to re-sign
Apparently thinking a little further ahead is hard. If we had to resign Domingue at the end of this year, we would not have enough money. Signing McBackup to just a little more than him now gave us flexibility next year. Domingue wouldn't have resigned with us for less than 1.3...so yes my point still remains true. Happy to explain these things for you!

Reactions: DaveG

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Apparently thinking a little further ahead is hard. If we had to resign Domingue at the end of this year, we would not have enough money. Signing McBackup to just a little more than him now gave us flexibility next year. Domingue wouldn't have resigned with us for less than 1.3...so yes my point still remains true. Happy to explain these things for you!
And what makes you think he wouldn’t re-sign for 1.3M with Tampa bay when he’d be hard pressed to even get a backup role anywhere else meaning he wouldn’t even get 1M elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad