Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Stars acquire forward Alexey Lipanov from Tampa Bay for Tye Felhaber

cut.png

It's a trade of human hockey players

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Saw the "Cnfirmed trade: [DAL/TBL]" in the main forum page and ran in here to see what these two teams got up to.......not much, it turns out.

Now I'm off to look up Lipanov's hockeydb page.

Reactions: Morrison

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
All jokes aside, I'm genuinely fascinated by how trades like this come about. When you think about GM's negotiating, especially GMs of two contending teams, you think about the big teams and how they're doing everything they can to add to win the Stanley cup, and then you get a random trade like this. Like, I'm sure Nill and Brisebois know that neither Lipanov or Felhaber are NHL caliber, but still they go to the trouble to negotiate and finalize a trade for both that will end up likely being entirely inconsequential for both teams.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
All jokes aside, I'm genuinely fascinated by how trades like this come about. When you think about GM's negotiating, especially GMs of two contending teams, you think about the big teams and how they're doing everything they can to add to win the Stanley cup, and then you get a random trade like this. Like, I'm sure Nill and Brisebois know that neither Lipanov or Felhaber are NHL caliber, but still they go to the trouble to negotiate and finalize a trade for both that will end up likely being entirely inconsequential for both teams.

Brisebois - “Hey Nill, what do you want for Klingberg or Pavelski”?

Nill - “Not looking to move either at the moment”

Brisebois - “hmmmm, Lipanov for Felhaber”?

Nill - “Damn, that’s a fair trade…Let’s do it”!!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - probably AGMs negotiating this one for the minor league teams.

Also - "GMs of two contending teams"? I see one.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I assume they are both trying to improve the AHL squad

Reactions: Morrison and banks

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Honestly, it was probably something along the lines:

TBL: "Hey DAL, we like the look of Felhaber for our AHL team, do you have any longterm attachment to him as an NHL team?"
DAL: "No, you can have him for futures"
TBL: "Can we actually send back a contract, we'd be right at 49. Like an ECHLer or something"
DAL: "Sure"

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
This is probably a trade made by the players themselves without the involvement or consent of the GM's who wouldn't recognize either of them.....

Reactions: BobbyShehan

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
You'd have to think one of these team liked one of them during their draft process so they swing, similar to Bigras/Graves,etc.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
its almost like they have to stock a farm team with players as well ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad