Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CHI] Brandon Hagel, 2022, 2024 4ths for Boris Katchouk, Taylor Raddysh, 2023, 2024 1sts (Top 10 protected)

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
What about back to back cups and going for a 3peat?

Couldn’t agree more. There aren’t many opportunities in life or sports to do something really special, and when the opportunity presents itself, you have to go 100%. I love this trade for TBL.

Reactions: Outl4w

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
They paid for the contract. Once he is up for a raise, they’ll cut him lose like Coleman
No, they'll get something back for Hagel because he'll be an RFA.

That's why they paid Coleman prices for more of a Goodrow player this time.

(Alternatively, they might just re-sign him because they'll have cash from Stammer's contract ending, but it's the extra year and the control at the end that makes Hagel's contract even more valuable than Coleman or Goodrow's; this time they won't end up with zero once the bargain is over.)

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Yeah but he's also 23.

We're not talking about a prime aged guy here. He's in his 2nd full NHL season.

I'm not disagreeing, or not entirely with you (with the return they got, yes, I am, but, I don't believe you expected this large of a return?),
I'm more so posting this not directed to you, but this place in general.
What is funny to me is that, if he had started his career a few years earlier (I don't know much about Hagel, my guess is he was not NHL ready yet? In terms why he started his NHL career as 'late' as he did), and his current level of progress is still about where he was, people would have been calling him a bust and screaming for his trade, calling him trash, etc. already.

Being 23, even as a d-man (if they started playing in the NHL young enough and have enough seasons under their belt) around this place = more than enough time to decide the developmental outcome of players and declare them busts around here, I've noticed. Patience for prospects isn't exactly at a premium. Only factoring in what happened this season (now I am talking period, with all players in all ways), or better yet the current/past month, or series of 5 games or sometimes even less than that, actually, is what is at a premium here. That's how some players magically go from "putrid" and "atrocious" to "generational" or at least "1C" and back... 5 times, in terms of caliber of player. Top-20 player in the NHL to liability who is done, to elite, all in a span of a year-year and a half, max.

Yes, 23 is too early. Try telling that to people here when the player is 23 and in their 4th or 5th season.

Yes, I know not literally every poster is like this. And maybe I'm the one who is in the wrong. I have many of the very worst takes on here about hockey on a very frequent basis, check my posting history. Prepare a puke bag, I fit right in here.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
almost always is like saying I am right 100% of the time 50% of the time.

No, it means providing one example that differs from what someone said happens almost always does not contradict what that person said, or mean they are wrong.

In this case, he shared the sentiment in this thread, I think it is a fair assumption that he did so because he expected this trade to match that trend. In this specific instance, he was wrong. Wrong about this trade being one of those. However, his statement is still not rendered incorrect because of this trade, as, again, this is one example. If his statement is wrong, either you know it yourself without typing or looking anything up, or we need someone, or some people to provide enough examples, or share some statistics to exemplify why the statement is wrong. And yes, "almost" is a relative term, but we can make some reasonable assumptions as to what is meant by that.

The fact that someone here thinks one example proves a statement like that false, has thumbs up's for the comment, and doubles down on the assertion... doesn't surprise me. :(

Reactions: Outl4w

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Those saying overpayment are just looking at the player name and the return without any other context.

Trying to compare this with the value of a pure rental makes no sense.

1 playoff run

vs

Playoff run + full season + playoff run + full season + playoff run + RFA rights

Tampa already has the core locked up long term, they need to find ways to keep/replace depth with very little cap space and this contract helps do that perfectly for several years.
I mean yes they have him for multiple years + RFA rights so they can flip him for assets if they can't resign him, but what's his ceiling ? 2nd line player best case scenario ? His shooting percentage is not sustainable, 22.3% is ridiculous. When it averages out, which it will eventually, his goal totals will be cutby a decent amount. Chicago absolutely sold high on a hot player. It's obviously not a pure rental, it's a guy who can contribute for multiple cup runs at a very low cap hit. But that trade was ugly, one 1st + the rest of the package should've been enough. Let Chicago keep their 4th rounders, take away one of Tampas 1sts. They lost a lot of assets for future trades to re-tool.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I mean yes they have him for multiple years + RFA rights so they can flip him for assets if they can't resign him, but what's his ceiling ? 2nd line player best case scenario ? His shooting percentage is not sustainable, 22.3% is ridiculous. When it averages out, which it will eventually, his goal totals will be cutby a decent amount. Chicago absolutely sold high on a hot player. It's obviously not a pure rental, it's a guy who can contribute for multiple cup runs at a very low cap hit. But that trade was ugly, one 1st + the rest of the package should've been enough. Let Chicago keep their 4th rounders, take away one of Tampas 1sts. They lost a lot of assets for future trades to re-tool.
Hagel is a passer first. His goal total is an anomaly for his type of play.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is absolutely an overpay today, but Tampa is so good at getting great adds later in the draft, this will barely hurt them if they keep that up.……unless they regress and those picks rise, and/or Chicago hits on some great players with the picks either way.

Fantastic deal for Chicago, and may very well end up working out good for both teams.

moxy from Tampa….I like it.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Two 1sts + 1 B prospect + 1 C prospect for a 40 point guy at best? Yeah they got fleeced.
They have him for 3 cup runs + he still has RFA status. And you obviously don't know how good Hagel is.

Two 1sts are going to be late round picks which Tampa doesn't know how to use anyway.

Raddysh and Katchouk were just depth guys for them. Can probably replace that with Barré-Boulet.

It's worth it for Tampa. They didn't really give up that much.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
They have him for 3 cup runs + he still has RFA status. And you obviously don't know how good Hagel is.

Two 1sts are going to be late round picks which Tampa doesn't know how to use anyway.

Raddysh and Katchouk were just depth guys for them. Can probably replace that with Barré-Boulet.

It's worth it for Tampa. They didn't really give up that much.
I guess I don't know how good Hagel is and I'm sure his numbers don't tell the big picture...

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Two 1sts + 1 B prospect + 1 C prospect for a 40 point guy at best? Yeah they got fleeced.

Look I get the respect and deference Tamper Bay gets, benefitting from the pandemic seasons and cap loopholes, we’re not allowed to go there (yet). But people contorting to percieve anything other than a shocking desperation overpay from a team seeing the writing on the wall, fasten your seatbelts on what rebuilding looks like without 1st round picks for 4 years. Chicago will look back on this trade like Duchene deal for Colorado…except it’s Brandon Hagel. Incredible.

Reactions: apocalypse

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Certainly can’t miss if you can’t pick in the first round for 5 years
If you look at the Lightning's 1st round record, it's not that great to begin with. Even Vasilevsky wasn't their first 1st round pick that year. Easy for them to toss around 1st round picks when they're at the level they are, even easier when they don't do much even when they have them.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Very smart trade by Blackhawks I think. Great contract but you probably can't compete during it, so sell him when his value is at its highest.

I checked his stats on naturalstattrick and his 5v5 xGF is 6.35 with 15 goals scored. That's pretty crazy and you can probably expect his production to come down.

By Tampa this is a massive amount to pay but his contract really is great. Still, even with a great contract, 2 firsts for a middle six player... It is too much in my eyes.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Look I get the respect and deference Tamper Bay gets, benefitting from the pandemic seasons and cap loopholes, we’re not allowed to go there (yet). But people contorting to percieve anything other than a shocking desperation overpay from a team seeing the writing on the wall, fasten your seatbelts on what rebuilding looks like without 1st round picks for 4 years. Chicago will look back on this trade like Duchene deal for Colorado…except it’s Brandon Hagel. Incredible.
Lol, the team that won the last two cups is in desperation mode? Tampa will still be a contender for several more years. The core is locked up long term and much of it is still young. All they need to do is maintain their depth, which is what this trade is.

There will be a day that trading the picks will cost them and a rebuild will come, but winning two cups and giving themselves the best chance to win more now is already worth that cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad