Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CHI] Brandon Hagel, 2022, 2024 4ths for Boris Katchouk, Taylor Raddysh, 2023, 2024 1sts (Top 10 protected)

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yeah but he's also 23.

We're not talking about a prime aged guy here. He's in his 2nd full NHL season.
If Hagel keeps up this pace for two more seasons after this one he'll be expensive to re-sign. Conversely if the Hawks hold onto him and he falls back down to earth next year they'll have blown an opportunity to cash out at max value.

Hagel on his contract is infinitely more valuable to a cap-strapped contender (which is pretty much all of them) than a rebuilding team for whom cap space isn't really a consideration.

I think we will understand why they traded him based on the return.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Hagel is riding a 22% shooting percentage. Solid sell high for Chicago if the haul is as big as some here seem to anticipate.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A 23 year old who looks good and is under contract for 2 more years after this one for 1.5M AAV. something does not add up if the move him. How bad is he in the locker room? I don't get it, there is something about him we don't know because from a hockey sense there is no reason to trade him. You should be trading your big dollar older guys for players like him if you are the Hawks
Hagel is everything you want in a player in terms of work ethic. He's literally the dream self-made story...a nothing prospect discarded by his first team who simply would not be denied.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Hagel is everything you want in a player in terms of work ethic. He's literally the dream self-made story...a nothing prospect discarded by his first team who simply would not be denied.
Exactly I don't get why you move him- something does not add up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad