Confirmed with Link: TBL acquire RW Ashton and LW Broll from TML for conditional 7th round pick

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
The Tampa Bay Lightning have acquired right wing Carter Ashton and left wing David Broll from the Toronto Maple Leafs today in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman announced today.

Ashton, 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, has played in seven games with the Maple Leafs this season. He has totaled 54 career NHL games, all with Toronto. Ashton has also played in 12 games with the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League this season, notching four goals and eight points. The Winnipeg native has played in 163 career AHL games, recording 53 goals and 89 points. Ashton has also played in 29 Calder Cup Playoff games with eight goals and 17 points. Ashton was drafted by the Lightning in the first round, 29th overall, of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

Broll, 6-2, 216 pounds, has played in 21 games with the Marlies this season. He has also appeared in 16 games with the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL, recording two goals and nine points. Broll has played in 94 career AHL games, all with Toronto, recording three goals and 16 points. He has also skated in nine Calder Cup Playoff games. Broll was drafted by the Maple Leafs in the sixth round, 152nd overall, of the 2011 draft.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=752111&navid=nhl:topheads

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We shouldn't have made the pick conditional and hopefully they would've sent Panik back instead.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We shouldn't have made the pick conditional and hopefully they would've sent Panik back instead.

Would've been nice but what would we have done with him? We'd be stuck in the same boat as we were before. There's simply no more room at the inn for the other prospects. I'm starting to wonder if Namestnikov is ever going to play with anyone else other than grinders when his time comes.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Wonder what conditional means ? If Ashton plays in the ahl or NHL ? Good move for the crunch and if the lightning have injuries Ashton is better to call up for 4th line play then vladdy is.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
But all in all yzerman picks up a couple of young power forwards good move for ahl or maybe NHL one day maybe Ashton is the long term morrow replacement ?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Would've been nice but what would we have done with him? We'd be stuck in the same boat as we were before. There's simply no more room at the inn for the other prospects. I'm starting to wonder if Namestnikov is ever going to play with anyone else other than grinders when his time comes.

A 4th line of Panik - Boyle - Connolly would be sick. Much rather have Panik then Brown, still don't know why they didn't waive Brown instead. Not every prospect will become a top line player, Connolly and Panik are skilled enough to play in the top 6 but also physical and defensive enough to play the bottom 6. Namestnikov needs to improve physically and defensively to play the bottom 6 better or he'll be moved.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But all in all yzerman picks up a couple of young power forwards good move for ahl or maybe NHL one day maybe Ashton is the long term morrow replacement ?

Ashton is terrible in the NHL, think of Blunden the game he played but worse. Good in the A though. I always thought Paquette would be Morrows replacement or 4th liner but has outgrown that. I can see Tanner Richard/Dalton Smith or Phillip Paradis getting a look at that spot next season. Knowing Yzerman he'll resign Morrow who'll become absolute garbage because he's beyond old.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Some AHL depth basically for free and Ashton could be an okay callup. I'd much rather have him sitting in the press box than Vlad

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Some AHL depth basically for free and Ashton could be an okay callup. I'd much rather have him sitting in the press box than Vlad

That's what I'm saying makes sense to call him up for 4th line help if needed instead of vladdy. Read the deal states Ashton must play 15 games at least for the lightning next year in order for leafs to get the draft pick. But I'm glad Ashton is gone from the terrible leafs maybe the lightning turn him into a nhler. But ya Id rather have panik then brown. Maybe steve pulls a deal panik and franson coming to the lightning in a few weeks?

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

Leafs couldn't do that, until...

13.20 (b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
They can be, just that the team that claimed the player must first offer him to any other team that also put a waiver claim in on them. If those teams that also put in a claim have no interest then he can be traded before the playoffs.

Otherwise... until the termination of Playoffs

As far as Hall, he was claimed off waivers by the Hurricanes, traded back to us for MAB then the Flyers claimed him when the Bolts waived Hall again (wasn't even back a full day). So, the Canes had to offer Hall up to any other team that would have put in a claim before they got him from us before he could be traded back.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They can be, just that the team that claimed the player must first offer him to any other team that also put a waiver claim in on them. If those teams that also put in a claim have no interest then he can be traded before the playoffs.

Otherwise... until the termination of Playoffs

As far as Hall, he was claimed off waivers by the Hurricanes, traded back to us for MAB then the Flyers claimed him when the Bolts waived Hall again (wasn't even back a full day). So, the Canes had to offer Hall up to any other team that would have put in a claim before they got him from us before he could be traded back.

That's not confusing at all. How do you know who else puts a claim in, all we hear about is the one who picked them up? If it was the best team then you'd know nobody else did.

What do you mean by offering them to the other teams? If they wanted a specific pick or target from us wouldn't they overvalue the player so the other teams wouldn't get him?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
BP predicted this a day or two ago. Not specifically, but they said we would likely acquire at least one more F. Ashton looks like he'll be returning to basically replace Blunden.

Not exactly a shock that we might have good lines of communication open with Toronto for the foreseeable future, thanks to a certain new Maple Leaf President.

Polak? Franson?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The fact that it's a 2016 pick makes me wonder if Yzerman thinks he's going to be moving out a 2015 pick or two at the deadline.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
BP predicted this a day or two ago. Not specifically, but they said we would likely acquire at least one more F. Ashton looks like he'll be returning to basically replace Blunden.

Not exactly a shock that we might have good lines of communication open with Toronto for the foreseeable future, thanks to a certain new Maple Leaf President.

Polak? Franson?

Ashton is a good fit if we get injuries on are fourth line no sense calling up vladdy for a 4th line role. If a top 9 guy gets hurt then vladdy gets the call to come up. Yzerman setting up his depth for the run to the playoffs. I think Ashton played for norfolk for jon cooper maybe cooper wanted him back ? The crunch owner did say on Twitter he would be shocked if yzerman traded a prospect for a rental. So we got to be thinking something bigger or just moving draft picks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ashton is a good fit if we get injuries on are fourth line no sense calling up vladdy for a 4th line role. If a top 9 guy gets hurt then vladdy gets the call to come up. Yzerman setting up his depth for the run to the playoffs. I think Ashton played for norfolk for jon cooper maybe cooper wanted him back ? The crunch owner did say on Twitter he would be shocked if yzerman traded a prospect for a rental. So we got to be thinking something bigger or just moving draft picks.

I see no way we call Ashton up. He couldn't hang in Toronto, where Panik has been getting good reviews. And Panik couldn't make our team.

I mean, if we get decimated by injuries and we have to do it, we have to. But Carter's pretty much proved by now that he's not an NHLer. If he wants to prove otherwise, it'll take time.

Also, where/when did you see that posted on twitter? EDIT: Saw it. He said "top" prospect, which I think we knew anyway.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
i see no way we call ashton up. He couldn't hang in toronto, where panik has been getting good reviews. And panik couldn't make our team.

I mean, if we get decimated by injuries and we have to do it, we have to. But carter's pretty much proved by now that he's not an nhler. If he wants to prove otherwise, it'll take time.

Also, where/when did you see that posted on twitter? Edit: Saw it. He said "top" prospect, which i think we knew anyway.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah, I don't think anyone believed we'd be giving Namestnikov/Koekkoek/DeAngelo/Erne etc for a rental. It seems like a lot of the rentals aren't really asking for that anyway. McKenzie said Franson's price would be a 2nd + a B prospect. Not sure how they'd define as a B prospect though.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah, I don't think anyone believed we'd be giving Namestnikov/Koekkoek/DeAngelo/Erne etc for a rental. It seems like a lot of the rentals aren't really asking for that anyway. McKenzie said Franson's price would be a 2nd + a B prospect. Not sure how they'd define as a B prospect though.

I could see him move connolly and call up vladdy to replace him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad