Trade: [TB/STL] Jose Martinez, R. Arozarena, comp A pick for Matt Liberatore, E. Rodriguez, comp B pick

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
TB trades a top-end pitching prospect and probably top-50 prospect in MLB for ... a 32 y/o DH with a negative WAR and 94 OPS+ last year? What?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Dumb question, what exactly are comp A and comp B picks?

I had to look it up too, I had a general idea but here's a full explanation from MLB: What is a Competitive Balance Draft Picks? | Glossary

Competitive Balance Draft picks were implemented in the 2012-16 Collective Bargaining Agreement. The process to assign picks was amended in the 2017-21 Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The 10 lowest-revenue clubs and the clubs from the 10 smallest markets are eligible to receive a Competitive Balance pick (fewer than 20 clubs are in the mix each year, as some clubs qualify under both criteria). All eligible teams are assigned a pick, either in Competitive Balance Round A or Round B. Round A falls between the first and second rounds of the Rule 4 draft, while Round B comes between the second and third.

Under the 2017-21 CBA, six clubs will be awarded picks in Round A based on a formula that considers winning percentage and revenue. Those six teams will pick in Round A in 2017, 2019 and 2021. The remaining teams -- estimated to be between six and eight -- will pick in Round B in those years. The groups of teams, which will not change for the duration of the 2017-21 CBA, will switch picking in Round A and B in alternating years based on their initial assignment of round in 2017.

Clubs drafting in the Competitive Balance Rounds also receive more international bonus pool money than the minimum of $4.75 million. Those drafting in Competitive Balance Round A will receive $5.25 million, while those in Competitive Balance Round B will get $5.75 million.

Unlike other Draft picks, Competitive Balance Draft picks can be traded. However, they cannot be dealt simply in exchange for cash, and can be traded only by the club to which it was awarded. In other words, the picks may be traded no more than once.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
TB trades a top-end pitching prospect and probably top-50 prospect in MLB for ... a 32 y/o DH with a negative WAR and 94 OPS+ last year? What?
Yeah I don't quite understand it from their perspective, but they must have valued Arozarena highly. Martinez is a good hitter and clubhouse guy, but a liability in the field and you figure you could find a DH in free agency.

Unless they know something about Liberatore?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A problem the Cardinals have had has been an abundance of solid prospects, but none of them being overwhelmingly clear cut over the others. In hindsight, this should've been viewed as Arozarena for Liberatore with Martinez as roster clearing. Still probably a fair deal depending on how Liberatore develops. And some of Arozarena's numbers are a bit unsustainable.

Imagine the Cards with Gallen, Alcantara, and Arozarena though.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yeah I don't quite understand it from their perspective, but they must have valued Arozarena highly. Martinez is a good hitter and clubhouse guy, but a liability in the field and you figure you could find a DH in free agency.

Unless they know something about Liberatore?

No kidding :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad