Confirmed with Link: [TB/MTL] Dustin Tokarski for Cédrick Desjardins

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Also looked better in two NHL starts, although thats not saying much.
Yeah, in case of an injury going with CD is probably the much safer route. And for next year, who knows? Lindback/Desjardins? Lindback/Helenius? Lindback/Janus? Lindback/FA?

As I said I wasn't happy when we let him go, I really thought he could be a solid backup goalie in the NHL.

Thank god Yzerman is able to look far into the future and saw all those injuries coming.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I still might be the only one who believes Tic will be good..but I don't like this at all.

Nothing I've seen of him in the AHL tells me he's at the "Starting NHL Goalie" level. He played behind an absolutely dominant team last season in Norfolk. He's been mediocre to bad in Syracuse, however the team has been pretty bad of late as well.

I see him being a solid career backup at most. Hope I'm wrong because I do like the guy.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Really not that sad about losing Tik, between Lindback and Vasilevskiy (and Janus and Wilcox for that matter) I didn't think he'd ever be a #1 here. Just a little confused that we couldn't get anything more than an AHL stopgap for him.

That said, Lindback is sick today and might not be skating against the Caps - is Cedrick the Entertainer going to be dressing for the Lightning tonight?

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Nothing I've seen of him in the AHL tells me he's at the "Starting NHL Goalie" level. He played behind an absolutely dominant team last season in Norfolk. He's been mediocre to bad in Syracuse, however the team has been pretty bad of late as well.

I see him being a solid career backup at most. Hope I'm wrong because I do like the guy.

Last season he was at least as good as Janus, so yes, not the greatest season so far but a bit harsh perhaps to judge him only based on that?

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Last season he was at least as good as Janus, so yes, not the greatest season so far but a bit harsh perhaps to judge him only based on that?

Except the AHL is a development league. It's used precisely to judge how players develop. Barring injury, he's supposed to have progressed and developed. He hasn't. He's been much better than Riku though(not high praise).

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Boucher probably prefers Cédrick Desjardins because he's French and played in Hamilton

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Cedric been absolutely crap :shakehead
No he hasn't.

He's on the worst team in the AHL (all rookies, no vets) so he gets no help and he was injured to start the year, so he came in cold. He's been excellent for the last 6 weeks or so.

I like the trade for MTL because Tokarski is controllable and we have so little depth at the G position. However, if Price had of got hurt, I'd be more comfortable with Desjardins in the NHL than Tokarski.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
‏@erlendssonTBO

Yzerman says basically bringing in Desjardins is about having a better quality guy in the event of injury or call up to Lindback or Garon

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
wow. Desjardins has been passed over on waivers several times.

Lindback must have really proven himself for SFY to feel comfortable enough to make that deal.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/LightningTimes
GM Yzerman said trade for Desjardins was because in case of injury to Lindback or Garon "we weren't comfortable with our options right now."

Options, meaning both goalies. So why Tic instead of Riku? Tokarski has been the better goalie in Syracuse. Helenius has a 2 year deal but I can't see him in the NHL after the way he's been this year. And while Tokarski has also struggled this year at least he has proven himself in his AHL career while Helenius has not.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Options, meaning both goalies. So why Tic instead of Riku? Tokarski has been the better goalie in Syracuse. Helenius has a 2 year deal but I can't see him in the NHL after the way he's been this year. And while Tokarski has also struggled this year at least he has proven himself in his AHL career while Helenius has not.

Could they get anything for Helenius? You've (often) got to give something to get something.

Yzlamic Preacher*

This trade TIC'S me off... Eh guys... Guys? Anyone? Ok, moving on, it's not a trade I am like but a trade that I understand. Still think we could have at least got a draft pick out of it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This trade TIC'S me off... Eh guys... Guys? Anyone? Ok, moving on, it's not a trade I am like but a trade that I understand. Still think we could have at least got a draft pick out of it.

This is what I sort of don't get. The decision must have been recent as Desjardins has been waived multiple times since he was last in the organization.

I'd think the ideal course of action would be to get him there and then trade Tik for a pik or something.

I get the logic of this deal, but it's still sort of surprising.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

Riku is untradeable?

I understand the affection for Tic, but I really think he has been overrated the past couple of years.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Eh, I'm fine with it. I think Tic tops out as an NHL backup, personally, so trading him for someone that can fill that role now is fine with me.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
WOW, a bit baffled by this but going to let it work its way out before commenting one way or the other. SFY knows what is best for the organization so it is in his hands. Perhaps this is the wake up call, to go with last night's game, the Crunch need.

TurboBrick

Mar 26, 2012
SATX
Well this makes Helenius definite #1 in Syracuse now. His contract for this year is a 2-way but he's locked in on a 1-way for next year.

stammerhammer91

Dec 21, 2008
I wouldn't be so sure that this means helenius is the definite number one. Yzerman said that this trade was made because syracuse has not had good enough goaltending. Desjardins has started before and he could start again easily for the majority of the season. I hope that helenius takes this opportunity and runs with it but desjardins will have a big say in that as well

fitchjr1

Dec 24, 2006
Syracuse NY
Regarding waivers, if TB claimed CD, they'd have to keep him in NHL (not their plan with Lindback/Garon being the goaltenders). If they then tried to send him to Syracuse, the original team could easily reclaim him and send him to their AHL affiliate, which I assume MTL would have done. That's why I'd assume they didn't claim him.

Reading Yzerman's comments, I'd assume CD will moreso be the #1 goaltender or a decent split. He wants CD in case someone gets injured, you don't want your #3 goaltender as a cold AHL backup. He also said this was because of Syracuse's instability in goaltending.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I think this could have been done more as a favor for Tik, because he was never going to get a fair chance to shine here as its way too crowded as others have said.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think this could have been done more as a favor for Tik, because he was never going to get a fair chance to shine here as its way too crowded as others have said.

Ummm... it's not like he's going to get a ton of chances behind Price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad