Confirmed with Link: [TB/MTL] Dustin Tokarski for Cédrick Desjardins

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Tokarski traded

Wtf????
darren dreger ‏@darrendreger
habs announce: Canadiens acquire goaltender dustin tokarski from the tampa bay lightning in return for cÉdrick desjardins.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Color me baffled.

I've never been against trading Tik because we have a lot of goalies in the pipeline at a similar level of development.

But what's the point of trading him for Desjardins? We let Cedrick the Entertainer walk once already.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
To me this doesn't make sense unless a pick or something pops up from Montreal's end. Then it's just getting some value for Tik and grabbing a placeholder til next year's goalie influx.

But for now, it's just Tik for placeholder. Unless Yzerman think Cedrick will back up Lindy next year? I'd rather give Jaro a shot.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
How strange. I just saw Tic yesterday.

And who knew this trade would be fair value? Is Cedric doing poorly as well?
Tokarski (age: 23 - pending RFA): 2.46 GAA and .900 SV% in 33 GP with Syracuse, AHL
Desjardins (age: 27 - pending UFA): 2.94 GAA and .905 SV% in 22 GP with Hamilton, AHL

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
There must be something in SY mind, either Tic was unhappy and already said, that he doesn't want to reassign. And/Or Janus already said he will come back( Jesus, please make that happen :) ) and most likely Vasi will play in SYR next years.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Tokarski (age: 23; pending RFA): 2.46 GAA and .900 SV% in 33 GP with Syracuse, AHL
Desjardins (age: 27; pending UFA): 2.94 GAA and .905 SV% in 22 GP with Hamilton, AHL

Those statistics would say Cedric is better as he stops more pucks, so he could very well have a LOT better GAA in Syracuse behind a solid team, Hamilton is just crap, so he gets no help.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Those statistics would say Cedric is better as he stops more pucks, so he could very well have a LOT better GAA in Syracuse behind a solid team, Hamilton is just crap, so he gets no help.
You could be right.

Tokarski had 694 saves for .900 SV% in 33 games (21.03 saves per game)
Desjardins had 603 saves for .905% SV% in 22 games (27.41 saves per game)

Hamilton is also dead last in the AHL, Syracuse still ranks 4th in points.

Last edited:

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
This from BP explains it pretty well:

Jaroslav Janus' eyes just opened really wide. A spot will be open next fall in Tampa. Riku on 1-year deal next year. Vasi in Syracuse

A logjam in the pipeline. Clearing some space. And also in a shortened season if Lindback (god forbid) or Garon go down, there's some familiarity with Desjardins and would be a call up that doesn't really affect development or Syracuse's cause.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
According to several reports Vasilevski wants to come over as soon as possible. Janus is still Lightning property, too. Helenius is on a one-way deal next year. In case he doesn't make the NHL next season he could be pushing for a trade or go back to Europe leaving another open spot in Syracuse.

Desjardins is an UFA at the end of the season and has about the same stats as Tokarski on a much inferior team. Maybe he's just the better stop-gap or "AHL vet" in SFY's eyes.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
This from BP explains it pretty well:

A logjam in the pipeline. Clearing some space. And also in a shortened season if Lindback (god forbid) or Garon go down, there's some familiarity with Desjardins and would be a call up that doesn't really affect development or Syracuse's cause.

Couldn't we just call Grandpa Roli to babysit the pipes for a bit in that case?

:sarcasm:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
According to several reports Vasilevski wants to come over as soon as possible. Janus is still Lightning property, too. Helenius is on a one-way deal next year. In case he doesn't make the NHL next season he could be pushing for a trade or go back to Europe leaving another open spot in Syracuse.

Desjardins is an UFA at the end of the season and has about the same stats as Tokarski on a much inferior team. Maybe he's just the better stop-gap or "AHL vet" in SFY's eyes.

Also looked better in two NHL starts, although thats not saying much.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I actually like this move. I didn't feel that Tokarski was the answer, and I was always disappointed we let CD walk. His numbers are about even to Tokarski's and CD played on a much weaker team. I guess this means Garon is gone next year? Especially if Vasya comes over to the AHL next year (doubt it though).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad