Proposal: TB (Miller)and Van

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The premise seems reasonable. Realistically we are talking a pick between 32-40 for Miller.

I think Tbay could get more, but if its a move to free cap space they don't exactly have all the leverage.

Overall I think its a decent idea, but Tbay could probably get a bit more for Miller (cap clearing move or not) and Van probably isn't ready to give up a high 2nd to try and improve chances of winning now.

The idea is good though.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm thinking a Western team with cap space and a pick somewhere in the mid to early 20s would outbid that. Colorado checks those boxes and has an extra 1st to boot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If that's the highest bid? Sure. I think if San Jose moves on from Erik Karlsson they might be interested. Or some other team with a low 1st. But whatever. I think we'll take the highest pick or best prospect offered to us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The premise seems reasonable. Realistically we are talking a pick between 32-40 for Miller.

I think Tbay could get more, but if its a move to free cap space they don't exactly have all the leverage.

Overall I think its a decent idea, but Tbay could probably get a bit more for Miller (cap clearing move or not) and Van probably isn't ready to give up a high 2nd to try and improve chances of winning now.

The idea is good though.

Honestly, he's worth more than that, but you could be in a good position to get him at a discount. He seems like the most realistic first move to aleviate our cap problems, aside from Callahan, who'll be harder to move.

Hey, if you take on Ryan Callahan too, you get Miller basically for free. But I doubt Callahan would have any non-playoff, non-NY area teams on his list.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
One of the issues with trading him at the draft is it looks like there are some tasty UFAs out there, so teams may not want to commit 5m to such a player if they are in the market for say, Panarin.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Are you sure about that? Jt Miller is one of the worst playoff performers in recent history. He has 3 goals in 57 games.
While he's hasn't had a lot of success in the playoffs, calling out goals over 57 isn't the best way to look at it. he did have 8 points last year in 17 games. Close to a .5 pace - which isn't terrible considering he's not an elite player.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
While he's hasn't had a lot of success in the playoffs, calling out goals over 57 isn't the best way to look at it. he did have 8 points last year in 17 games. Close to a .5 pace - which isn't terrible considering he's not an elite player.
We have been told Killorn doing that over his whole career in the season and the playoffs is overpaid and terrible contract that is an albatross. Seems strange that other fans use 0.5 ppg to defend Miller but it's used as a death sentence for Killorn.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We have been told Killorn doing that over his whole career in the season and the playoffs is overpaid and terrible contract that is an albatross. Seems strange that other fans use 0.5 ppg to defend Miller but it's used as a death sentence for Killorn.
I didn't use it to defend Miller over a guy like Killorn, doing the same.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Rather than pay to move Callahan’s entire contract I think we’ll trade Miller and then if necessary retain to make Callahan movable without incentive. Miller’s going to have to go sooner or later anyway and I’d rather trade him for futures now and retain on Cally or let him run out his deal than give up a high pick or a good prospect to move Cally’s entire salary just so we can keep Miller around for an extra year. Or alternatively maybe we trade Miller AND pay to move Callahan’s entire salary so we can afford to sign a veteran defenseman to a one year deal to ease our young guys in rather than rely on two inexperienced players on our bottom pairing. In any event though I don’t see us keeping Miller at the expense of having to pay dearly to move Callahan’s entire salary when we’ll just have to turn around and trade J.T. a year later anyway.
Totally fair. Honest question though, why is he the odd man out instead of Palat or Killorn?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I didn't use it to defend Miller over a guy like Killorn, doing the same.
Not you specifically. But lately there has been a narrative that Killorn is an albatross. I find it strange Miller generates the interest but Killorn doesn't. Apologies if I made it sound like I was directing it to you specifically.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
A 25 year old first line winger producing at 55-60 points for a 2nd?

hahah no.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I really hope Tampa can find a way to keep Callahan next season. After reading that NY post Interview, he really wants to stay in Tampa and loves it down there . As does his family. I think he’s going to be the hungriest for a cup since he doesn’t have too many seasons left to play and has no cup. Looked that way in the ECF.

Nah he sucks and is already beat out on the depth pool.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Wow i just realized JT Miller is only 25. He should get more than that.

4 years after this, he's essentially signed for his entire prime like we said when we signed him, he's on a good contract given age and performance.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah I'd budge a little if there was a bidding war. I don't think I would feel good approaching Edmontons 1st and Pulijijarvi if that's what was offered, but I'd come up from a likely 32nd ish pick.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I would think he gets a 1st from a contending team quite easily? Couple teams could use a C/W like Miller imo (Dallas/COL that need top 6 help) that is signed at a decent cap hit through his mid-late 20s

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Totally fair. Honest question though, why is he the odd man out instead of Palat or Killorn?

Both have full NTCs and Palat is a much better player. Miller vs Killorn would be an interesting discussion as Miller is better offensively and can contribute on faceoffs while Killorn is better defensively, makes less money, and has historically been better in the postseason. He will probably be traded once his full NTC goes to a modified but at the moment Miller is much easier to move.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Trading for JT Miller should be more of a back-up plan for the Canucks if they can't get anyone better in the draft or free agency.

The Canucks are likely using their high 2019 draft pick to select a forward (as the top-of-the-draft is very forward-heavy).

And if they instead end up selecting a d-man, then signing a ufa forward (such as a Mark Stone) to pair w/ Bo Horvat, could save the Canucks from trading assets; would much rather attach those assets to undesirable contracts (for trade purposes) to free up additional cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad