Proposal: TB (Miller)and Van

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Canucks fan, interested by the Tampa cap situation going into next year wondering what it would take to get J.T. Miller. Trade to take place at the draft.

To TB: Van 2nd round Pick (probably a top 2-3 pick in the round)
To Van: J.T. Miller

Canucks are not overly deep at LW, especially our prospect pool. I think Miller would look good playing along side Horvat.

Helps with the Lightning cap and frees up some space to re-sign Point.

Canucks top 6 next year (potentially)
Dahlen/Pettersson/Boeser
Miller/Horvat/Baertchi (Virtanen)

Close? Something TB fans would consider?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Depends on what is available for Tampa in that draft at that position. It makes some sense perhaps.

I should think Miller may be worth a little more to someone.

But it is a reasonable proposal.

Reactions: mjtm777

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Depends on a) what the cap is looking like, and b) what type of contract Point is looking for, as well as c) is no one offering a higher pick? If we're up against the cap and need to do it, we'll do it. But there are a lot of moving parts here.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Depends on what is available for Tampa in that draft at that position. It makes some sense perhaps.

I should think Miller may be worth a little more to someone.

But it is a reasonable proposal.
thought that might be the case. I would be willing to add a risk/reward type prospect to the pick, but if someone wants to pony up any more than that, I would respectfully withdraw. I like Miller and think hes a good fit in terms of age and style but not willing to over-bid for his services.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
There would be other teams interested that could offer a mid to late 1st and a prospect
Is Miller a 1st round pick type player? If you use the Hartman trade as a template maybe, but Hartman is on the cheap and I think a lot of people thought that was an overpay.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If Oil make the playoffs I'd be prepared to offer Pulju + 1st + 3rd for Miller + prospect.

As exciting as it would be to try and fix a prospect like Pulju, not sure if we have the room on the roster and we'd lose him to waivers.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Teams would definitely pay more than that for Miller. Blues definitely would assuming they move other pieces out to clear cap.

If Schenn doesn't want an extension, Miller would be a logical replacement.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
No need to trade Miller. We will just get rid of Callahan
Not trying to start an argument, but I've looked at the TB cap and maybe that's the case, but I think that might be an overly optimistic cap solution.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Not trying to start an argument, but I've looked at the TB cap and maybe that's the case, but I think that might be an overly optimistic cap solution.
They'll have to pay to move him but according to capfriendly his NTC is him submitting a 16 team list of approved spots, that's still relatively decent market size to trade to. Hell provided the Canucks don't get hit with a Luongo recapture this year he'd be a decent replacement for a guy like Granlund. Someone who can actually kill penalties and play on the 4th line.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If Oil make the playoffs I'd be prepared to offer Pulju + 1st + 3rd for Miller + prospect.

We’ll most likely be looking to move Miller in the offseason as we’re looking to make a run in the playoffs ourselves. In addition PoolParty is looking rather bust-ish and we’d really prefer a defensive prospect anyway, so if the prospect you want from us is a good one I’d be inclined to turn that down. Take Pulju and our prospect out and do the deal in the offseason and I’d do it assuming we didn’t get a better offer from another team.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
They'll have to pay to move him but according to capfriendly his NTC is him submitting a 16 team list of approved spots, that's still relatively decent market size to trade to. Hell provided the Canucks don't get hit with a Luongo recapture this year he'd be a decent replacement for a guy like Granlund. Someone who can actually kill penalties and play on the 4th line.

Rather than pay to move Callahan’s entire contract I think we’ll trade Miller and then if necessary retain to make Callahan movable without incentive. Miller’s going to have to go sooner or later anyway and I’d rather trade him for futures now and retain on Cally or let him run out his deal than give up a high pick or a good prospect to move Cally’s entire salary just so we can keep Miller around for an extra year. Or alternatively maybe we trade Miller AND pay to move Callahan’s entire salary so we can afford to sign a veteran defenseman to a one year deal to ease our young guys in rather than rely on two inexperienced players on our bottom pairing. In any event though I don’t see us keeping Miller at the expense of having to pay dearly to move Callahan’s entire salary when we’ll just have to turn around and trade J.T. a year later anyway.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I would be shocked if we even get a whiff of a first for Miller. Not because he isn't worth it or anything, mostly because 27 GM's in the league know our situation and will play towards it. The three that won't...Benning, Chiarelli, and Dorion.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rather than pay to move Callahan’s entire contract I think we’ll trade Miller and then if necessary retain to make Callahan movable without incentive. Miller’s going to have to go sooner or later anyway and I’d rather trade him for futures now and retain on Cally or let him run out his deal than give up a high pick or a good prospect to move Cally’s entire salary just so we can keep Miller around for an extra year. Or alternatively maybe we trade Miller AND pay to move Callahan’s entire salary so we can afford to sign a veteran defenseman to a one year deal to ease our young guys in rather than rely on two inexperienced players on our bottom pairing. In any event though I don’t see us keeping Miller at the expense of having to pay dearly to move Callahan’s entire salary when we’ll just have to turn around and trade J.T. a year later anyway.

I really hope Tampa can find a way to keep Callahan next season. After reading that NY post Interview, he really wants to stay in Tampa and loves it down there . As does his family. I think he’s going to be the hungriest for a cup since he doesn’t have too many seasons left to play and has no cup. Looked that way in the ECF.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Goldobin? Another Russian to go to TB, he is cheap and a rfa at end of year.

Could also add in Tanev or Edler if its a deadline deal depending on what the return would be from Tampa.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Miller would be nice, but I'd rather use the pick, it will probably be quite high and our current scouting staff has been decent lately in the late first/early second

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I think it would take a bit more to get him if Van wanted him, but something like their 2nd+3rd should get it done.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Goldobin? Another Russian to go to TB, he is cheap and a rfa at end of year.

Could also add in Tanev or Edler if its a deadline deal depending on what the return would be from Tampa.

Zero interest in either. Tanev’s made of glass and it makes no sense for us to pay a 1D rental price to have either Edler or McDonagh playing on our bottom pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad