Taylor Hall: Best LW in the NHL?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
It's easier to score points when the pressure is off halfway through the season or in last years case, by November. It's harder to score when there is pressure to win and the opponent is giving your team its full attention.

Ha ha what? You're gonna have to back that statement up.

Was it really necessary to add "and to no fault of his own that the team is losing"? Of course it's not his fault, but he won't get due respect until his team at the very least crawls out of the cellar. The other LWers have proven that they can excel in important games, Hall hasn't and again, not his fault but it's the reality of the situation.

It's not about whose fault it is as much as the fact you're holding him to a different (and arbitrary) standard, one that is determined not by individual merit, but by team performance.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ha ha what? You're gonna have to back that statement up.

It's not about whose fault it is as much as the fact you're holding him to a different (and arbitrary) standard, one that is determined not by individual merit, but by team performance.

I can't back it up with hard evidence but i think that pure logic would dictate that it's easier to score in lower pressure environments and harder to score in playoff type environments.
Again, not Hall's fault but he hasn't had an opportunity to perform in high pressure moments. When was the last big game that the Oilers played? Gagner's rookie season?

When all else is fairly equal which is the case when you're discussing point totals here between Benn, Hall and Zetterberg (ppg in Z's case) you look at intangibles. Both of those guys are better defensively, are more versatile (can be effective at center as well) and have come up big in big moments. Are you going to dispute any of this?

I like Hall long term over any of these guys but as of now, i'm not sure how one can make an argument that he is better than these guys.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'd say two back to back Memorial Cup finals are a high pressure situation. True, not as important as Stanley Cup playoffs, but a solid basis to go on imo. We all know how he performed in both appearances.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I can't back it up with hard evidence but i think that pure logic would dictate that it's easier to score in lower pressure environments and harder to score in playoff type environments.

It is harder to score in the playoffs than the regular season. But that's not because of pressure as much as it is about quality of opposition, teams playing more defensively etc. I don't think pressure is a factor as much as other, more tangible ones.

When all else is fairly equal which is the case when you're discussing point totals here between Benn, Hall and Zetterberg (ppg in Z's case) you look at intangibles. Both of those guys are better defensively, are more versatile (can be effective at center as well) and have come up big in big moments. Are you going to dispute any of this? I like Hall long term over any of these guys but as of now, i'm not sure how one can make an argument that he is better than these guys.

I'm not actually disputing Hall isn't quite at that level yet. I'm only taking issue with the one aspect of the analysis that is team-dependent.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If we're talking about the Hall we saw in the final 25 games, then it's a coin flip between him and Benn for best LW. If we're talking about the Hall we saw the first 50 games where he constantly whines to refs every time he faces contact, forces plays that aren't there, and only back checks if it's convenient, then no, I take all of those guys ahead of him. Part of it is the development curve, and last year seems to be an indication that he's figured it out, but I think it's a year or two early to try and make this claim. He's the youngest guy of that bunch though, so time is on his side.

Westsidehockey*

Without a doubt among the biggest offensive threats on the LW but way too soon to put him among the top in the league at his position.

Needs to learn to play all 3 zones and he really has to step up his development outside of the offensive zone. Very strong on the rush but does not create much defensively and is still very prone to turnovers. He has shown signs of improvement but until this side of his game improves he won't be the dominant player that other teams fear.

Also need to keep in mind that he's never played a playoff game and he faces backup goaltending almost exclusively.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Without a doubt among the biggest offensive threats on the LW but way too soon to put him among the top in the league at his position.

Needs to learn to play all 3 zones and he really has to step up his development outside of the offensive zone. Very strong on the rush but does not create much defensively and is still very prone to turnovers. He has shown signs of improvement but until this side of his game improves he won't be the dominant player that other teams fear.

Also need to keep in mind that he's never played a playoff game and he faces backup goaltending almost exclusively.
:laugh: are you serious?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

LOL at "backup goaltending." Please leave. :laugh:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Yes he is. People don't give him enough credit imo. If we had 80% as effective a PP as under Krueger he probably would of had about 83-86 pts in his 75 games.

If we had a defense that could get our forwards the puck more consistently, even more.

If his C wasn't in a production funk...even more.

I could probably list more reasons.

His team sucks the fat one and he still produces like a mother ******.

He's pretty good.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
put jamie benn beside nuge and put taylor hall in dallas beside seguin and everyone would be sucking halls preverbial boneyard as the no questions asked best LW in the game.

doggone

Nov 4, 2013
Yes he is. People don't give him enough credit imo. If we had 80% as effective a PP as under Krueger he probably would of had about 83-86 pts in his 75 games.

If we had a defense that could get our forwards the puck more consistently, even more.

If his C wasn't in a production funk...even more.

I could probably list more reasons.

His team sucks the fat one and he still produces like a mother ******.

He's pretty good.

good solid stuff here. Sucks the fat one is bullleye lol . Hope team is better this year and Hall will benefit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad