Taylor Hall: Best LW in the NHL?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The article below, mixed with consistent conversation about where Hall ranks amongst the top LW players of the game, has me asking the question, is he the best LW in the NHL?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-stars/headlines/20140809-stars-jamie-benn-named-as-one-of-top-five-highest-rated-left-wingers-in-new-nhl-15-video-game.ece

Out of the top 5 ranked in the article, Oveckin is #1, but I believe he has played the right side over the last two seasons now.

So the top competition is Zetterberg, Parise, Benn and Sharp.

So do you think Hall is the best of the bunch? Do you think it's to early to say that yet, but he will be soon? Or will he never be the best in that group?

Discuss.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think its close.

A lot of people could easily make a case that Zetterberg is still better due to his strong 2-way play, (even though his career is on the downswing), and the others might be better suited for their particular teams.

I gladly take Hall.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Hall needs to work on his balance, he could of had at least 10 more points last year if he didn't fall down in the neutral zone the 15+ times on good looking break outs.

Zetterburg isn't as scary to play against as he was 8 years ago, and Sharp has never really spoken elite to me before. Benn however is very strong on the puck and may have a better hockey IQ than Hall. Still don't understand the Parise fad..

Benn for me. Hopefully it will be Hall this season though :)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hall has to play a more complete game to be #1, the good news is that he really seemed to improve in that capacity the 2nd half of last year to my eye. He carries the puck a lot but he still needs to lower his turnover numbers. In any case he is one player I'm not worried about development wise all indications are that he is going to keep getting better.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
No and not really close to me

I think you could probably create an argument for best offensively but I don't really feel comfortable saying any Oiler is the best at anything during these times of incompetence

Hardly Hall's fault though

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Benn brings a bit more than Hall. But it's super close. He makes up for it in points, but still, Benn is awesome

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
hall is easily in the top-5/7 for the entire league, no doubt about that... and if we are talking a pure offensive argument, i would say he is top-3 likely

of all the kids, hall has been the one to achieve exactly what he was expected to achieve

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Hall needs to work on his balance, he could of had at least 10 more points last year if he didn't fall down in the neutral zone the 15+ times on good looking break outs.

Zetterburg isn't as scary to play against as he was 8 years ago, and Sharp has never really spoken elite to me before. Benn however is very strong on the puck and may have a better hockey IQ than Hall. Still don't understand the Parise fad..

Benn for me. Hopefully it will be Hall this season though :)

He could've had 10 more points if he didn't play C:laugh:

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
He could've had 10 more points if he didn't play C:laugh:

Makes me excited for this year!
No centering, hopefully less falling, and a better system, he will show he is more valuable than that Parise fellow :)

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The debate is between Hall and Benn at this point imo. Ovvy plays right, Zetterberg is getting old and Parise isn't looking like he once did either. Sharp isn't really elite just very very good.

Toss up between Benn and Hall at this point, but I'd absolutely take Hall in the future.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Given how he's performed on a terrible, terrible team, I would think he is the best LW, I'd put him ahead of Benn by a nose.

You put him on Chicago, Dallas, etc., and I think he blows the competition out of the water.

Not saying he doesn't have faults, but there's not many players like him in the entire league.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
He needs about 10 more goals a year. In the 35-40 range, with his ~ 50 assists. Then he would be tops in the league IMO. I think Sharp/Benn are the best right now. (They were on the Olympic team)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
He needs about 10 more goals a year. In the 35-40 range, with his ~ 50 assists. Then he would be tops in the league IMO. I think Sharp/Benn are the best right now. (They were on the Olympic team)

The Olmypic team isn't the best debate IMO. Kunitz made it over Hall because he plays well with Crosby. Sharp has experience on a winning team, Benn fit the system better (although he might still be better than Hall for now). I like Pickles on SJ too, but he got ice time over Subban because he fit the system better.

I'm not saying you're wrong to say those guys are better than Hall right now (although I disagree about Sharp), I just think this team wasn't just focused on picking the 'best' 23 guys for the roster.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Ovechkin is a Right Wing as far as im concerned

The only LW in the league I'd even consider moving Hall for is Benn, and I still wouldnt do it

as far as im concerned Hall is #1, and when we get our PP going properly this year, he will prove it

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I know this is strictly a LW conversation but the fact that Benn and Zetterburg can play C if needed makes them more versatile (and speaks volumes about their two way play).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know this is strictly a LW conversation but the fact that Benn and Zetterburg can play C if needed makes them more versatile (and speaks volumes about their two way play).

yeah, i don't think you'll find too many people who would argue that hall's 2-way play is better than benns, and certainly not better than zetterburgs

benn is 3 years older than hall is though... in 3 years from now i would expect the "2-way conversation" to be much closer, as defensive awareness tends to increase with age

that's the crazy thing with hall really, is that he is only 22 (will be 23 for most of the next season)... he will likely continue at his PPG+ pace for the next 3-5 years all while rounding out his game in other areas.... 23-27 tend to be the best offensive seasons for players, in case people weren't aware of this.... i just wish the team around him was better, so we could take advantage of halls best years, sadly this is not the case

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
The Olmypic team isn't the best debate IMO. Kunitz made it over Hall because he plays well with Crosby. Sharp has experience on a winning team, Benn fit the system better (although he might still be better than Hall for now). I like Pickles on SJ too, but he got ice time over Subban because he fit the system better.

I'm not saying you're wrong to say those guys are better than Hall right now (although I disagree about Sharp), I just think this team wasn't just focused on picking the 'best' 23 guys for the roster.

Crosby took his own personal winger. Benn and Sharp took Hall's spot. But, Hall is sooooo much better than his first few seasons. Anyone remember him running around trying to win games on his own. Another few seasons and he will be all but unstoppable.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
hall played C for 10 games, then missed another 8. he could have had 10-15 more points which put him in the top 3 in the league. not just LW but all players. he is elite

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think he was the best LW in the league last year. Benn and Sharp are both great players but I just think Hall is in a class just slightly above those two.

Having said that, both those two for overall play probably were considered to have had a better season.

I actually think even if Ovie moves back to the left next year Hall will most likely be a better overall player. Ovie has fallen so far over the last couple years. Halls on his way up and Ovie down.

Once Hall improves his two way game, and he made good strides last year this way, there will be no question who the best LW in the league is. Although there seems to be an anti western conference/anti Oiler perspective from many in the media so who knows if Hall will ever get credited for that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
hall played C for 10 games, then missed another 8. he could have had 10-15 more points which put him in the top 3 in the league. not just LW but all players. he is elite

I see things like the bolded posted quite a bit. Hall played center for 2 games. Not 10 games. After RNH came back from injury the Oilers rolled with: RNH, Gordon, Arcobello and Acton as their 4 centers until Gagner came back.

To the question at hand. I think right now Zetterberg is better. Provides similar levels of offense, but is a vastly superior two-way player. As time goes on and he gets older Hall will close the gap/pass him. But right now. Zetterber is better.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think Zetter is the better player now, and it is pretty clear. I mean guy is a beast in both ends. That being Said Hall will be the best LW in hockey for a long time in a year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad