Taveres effect on Leafs Business

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Like Babcock says, good players attract good players. Tavares came to Toronto and the Maple Leafs not only because its his hometown and his childhood team but because the team was already good without him. Good players want to play with other good players, Patrick Marleau leaving San Jose and signing was the first sign of Toronto being a desirable location again.

You're right the Leafs already would have sold out and made tons of money either way. The biggest effect Tavares will have on Leafs business is him making Toronto an even more attractive place for FA's to sign.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
He will help in a lot of ways

But we will be filthy stinking rich regardless, like swimming pools full of money rich lol

His biggest draw will be other players wanting to come play here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tavares helps build the Leafs up as a marquee brand. Fans always talk about how the organization is the hockey equivalent of the Yankees, Lakers, etc. but other fanbases always point to the fact that Toronto never attracts top end free agents, no one wants to go to Toronto, etc. and all the Ontario born superstars kind of look on warily at being a Leaf (Nash, Staal, Thornton, Doughty, Stamkos). Well now that the biggest fish has gone to Toronto, this changes a lot.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Obviously merchandisesales & tv ratings will skyrocket. That said, how do y'all foresee the Leafs business being impacted by the Taveres signing? I assume it wouldn't be huge as far as ticket sales ( They are already sold out).

The biggest way he would impact their finances is by taking them deeper into the playoffs

Reactions: ACC1224 and Pilky01

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He''ll bring more attention to the team for sure. Also could be the centre that helps spur them to their first cup since 1967?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
If the Leafs go on a stretch anything like Pat Quinn’s 1999-2003 run the cap will skyrocket like never before.

Reactions: amethyst

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Tavares might help temporarily improve the sale of merchandise, but his only real way to make significant money for the Leafs is to make us a team that consistently gets deep in the playoffs. Considering, owners aren't on the hook for players salaries, NHL home playoff games are a licence to print money for a team like the Leafs. 8 or so playoff home games will bring in a fortune.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
depends on what you mean by "leafs business" ... MLSE owns (fully or in part) a slew of other entities that could very well see increased revenues as a result of some potential upswing in leafs success. so too might the two MLSE majority owners, media giants Rogers and Bell in terms of more valued content and new/higher rate advertisers.

Reactions: Pilky01

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I can't imagine how expensive the tickets are going to be come playoffs time. I think the Leafs are able to make as much money as Tavares salary in 2 or 3 playoff games.

Reactions: Gurry

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I can't imagine how expensive the tickets are going to be come playoffs time. I think the Leafs are able to make as much money as Tavares salary in 2 or 3 playoff games.
When you also factor in that Rogers (who owns 35% of MLSE) also owns the NHL Playoff rights, I can't imagine what they'd make. Leafs consistently being a team that goes far in the playoffs (say consistently 2nd round, occasionally getting further) will add a bunch of advertising money.

The Leafs are so successful financially, that no one player really changes anything for them unless it brings team success. You may see a temporary blip in jersey sales, but that is insignificant. Most people will buy a jersey, it just alters the name on the back.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Anyone remember when the Leafs could have had Gretzky that one time but the owner at the time saw no point in it because there wasn't enough money in it for the Leafs (read him). I do. That burns me as much as the high stick that wasn't called. Thankfully, the Leafs have better ownership and management now so that this can be discussed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Anyone remember when the Leafs could have had Gretzky that one time but the owner at the time saw no point in it because there wasn't enough money in it for the Leafs (read him). I do. That burns me as much as the high stick that wasn't called. Thankfully, the Leafs have better ownership and management now so that this can be discussed.
It was Stavro, and it was when Gretzky went to NYR.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ticket prices aren't even on MLSE's (or the NHL's) radar. As posters are pointing out, the big money here is in the media rights that Rogers (and Bell to a lesser degree) owns. This is about Rogers media properties drawing eyeballs away from everything else that competes for eyeballs these days. Just as an example, the day of the signing I binged on Sportsnet panel shows and discussions, all on the Sportsnet app, because I was excited about the Leafs and anxious to consume content about them. If the Leafs hadn't signed Tavares I would have just been watching random YouTube videos that day.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
When you also factor in that Rogers (who owns 35% of MLSE) also owns the NHL Playoff rights, I can't imagine what they'd make. Leafs consistently being a team that goes far in the playoffs (say consistently 2nd round, occasionally getting further) will add a bunch of advertising money.

The Leafs are so successful financially, that no one player really changes anything for them unless it brings team success. You may see a temporary blip in jersey sales, but that is insignificant. Most people will buy a jersey, it just alters the name on the back.

It's quite crazy, MLSE is the second most richest group in the sports world.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's quite crazy, MLSE is the second most richest group in the sports world.
Just wondering, where did you see this? And who is on top?

I would think there are some other groups worth more, but they aren't necessarily packaged together. For example, Kroenke's collection of teams (Arsenal, LA Rams, plus Avs and Denver technically owned by his kid), and the Glazer's Manchester United/Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Just wondering, where did you see this? And who is on top?

I would think there are some other groups worth more, but they aren't necessarily packaged together. For example, Kroenke's collection of teams (Arsenal, LA Rams, plus Avs and Denver technically owned by his kid), and the Glazer's Manchester United/Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Ill try and find the link

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Ticket sales - already "sold out", but resale prices should increase with more demand.

More sponsors may hop on TML bandwagon.

But JT may get more $$ for endorsement deals than any other NHL player.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ticket sales - already "sold out", but resale prices should increase with more demand.

More sponsors may hop on TML bandwagon.

But JT may get more $$ for endorsement deals than any other NHL player.
There are still the odd tickets available on Ticketmaster at the face value price. You just need to be lucky when looking for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad