Tavares : Would not count on me joining the Leafs in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
It won't. Sadly I can't find the clip, but Tavares already addressed this crap years ago.

He won't be a Leaf, but no one will accept it until he re-ups.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Currysux*

It won't. Sadly I can't find the clip, but Tavares already addressed this crap years ago.

He won't be a Leaf, but no one will accept it until he re-ups.

Was it on sportcenter? When he had some towel around his neck? If it thats it I know what you are talking about.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
even if it is true, what is he gonna say if he did actually want to leave? you want him to say yes im thinking about going to toronto? everyone would go crazy at him

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
A player doesn't leave home unless there is a better option, the best option for johnny T is to stay home and re up with the islanders. It's clear that tavares considers long island home. Majority of the Toronto fan base understood this already. but hopefully the ones that didn't will now.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Was it on sportcenter? When he had some towel around his neck? If it thats it I know what you are talking about.

Don't remember his attire, but I know that Spezza and Stammer were with him, and all 3 were asked if they'd ever sign with Toronto. Both Spez and Stammer kinda danced around the question, giving some kinda "well you never know" non-answer, but Tavares outright said no and that he loved Long Island.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Too bad, leafs could use another centre after Matthews. With nylander and mariner developing into wingers, Matthews and Tavares would be an amazing one two punch with Kadri qbing the third line.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
He was on 590 the Fan with Andrew Walker and told him to not count on him joining the Leafs. I hope this stops all the Tavares to T.O in 2018 nonsense before it starts.

Oh what a SHOCK! He said that under CONTRACT with the Isles. :laugh:

Lock it up.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It wouldn't matter if he knew 100% he was going to sign here, he's under contract. No sane player is going to say "yup, pretty much done here. Just a few more years and I'm signing elsewhere". And no, I don't think he's coming here. He's just not. He's the face of the Isles and I wouldn't be surprised if he retired and Islander.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He was on 590 the Fan with Andrew Walker and told him to not count on him joining the Leafs. I hope this stops all the Tavares to T.O in 2018 nonsense before it starts.

Ugh. Sucks to hear. Islanders aren't my most hated team anymore but are still among the most disliked and keeping him on the Isles is painful as a rangers fan. Playing him as few times a year as possible would be nice since we already have to deal with Crosby, Malkin and Ovi in our division. Would love to see him go out West. He is an amazing talent and someone I don't want to have to have my Rangers play against very often.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Ugh. Sucks to hear. Islanders aren't my most hated team anymore but are still among the most disliked and keeping him on the Isles is painful as a rangers fan. Would love to see him go out West. He is an amazing talent and someone I don't want to have to have my Rangers play against very often.

with respect sir, would you expect tavares to say i want to leave the isles with 2 years left on his contract? its really a non story since everyone would be more shocked if he said no he wouldnt stay

Axel

Mar 19, 2013
with respect sir, would you expect tavares to say i want to leave the isles with 2 years left on his contract? its really a non story since everyone would be more shocked if he said no he wouldnt stay

I understand what you're saying but the way he stated it shows that if the Islanders gave him a fair contract extension next summer (ex: 8 yrs - 9/10 million), he will sign it sooner than later and not go into his final year without a contract extension, like Stamkos.

“(Laughs) I would not count on that. I think I’ve always showed my commitment, my appreciation, and my desire to play on Long Island. I would love for that to continue for the long haul. I think you look at (how) some of the greatest players in the game have been able to spend their entire careers somewhere, and I hope I’m in that same position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad