Tavares Worst Captain Ever

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
None of us play in the NHL so it's really hard to say who's a good captain or not. Nobody here is with the players day to day or in the dressing room. While I think the captaincy is important, one guy no matter how good he is isn't going to magically lead the team to the promised land because he was a C stitched on his jersey.
Speak for yourself. It's no coincidence you only see me posting before and after games, but not during. ;)

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Stupid thread.

No one has any idea who the good and bad captains are in this league unless they have access to a team on a day to day basis. I'm pretty confident no HF users have that.

Tavares is overpaid or what he brings on the ice, I have no idea what kind of captain he is.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Stupid thread.

No one has any idea who the good and bad captains are in this league unless they have access to a team on a day to day basis. I'm pretty confident no HF users have that.

Tavares is overpaid or what he brings on the ice, I have no idea what kind of captain he is.

You'd be surprised. Dan Briere got himself banned from here.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
The robot would likely still lead the Islanders in scoring, and you'd all be kissing his $13m butt.

I guess you didn’t read about 50% retained and
Toronto is the one place where a star player will get hate from opposing fans and his own team's fans.

Strange place.

- PPG entire career
- Captain of 2 different teams
- Rookie Leafs (Knies/Minten) treat him as a role model
- Clearly respected by his teammates

Yet considered the worst captain in history because he's not "scary" in the locker room according to people who have never been in the locker room?

Meanwhile OP thinks Matthews who mooned a security guard, and laughs during scrums will be a better replacement using the same argument?
That’s a lie.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't even think he's the worst Captain in recent memory for the Maple Leafs.

I would take Tavares over Dion Phaneuf in a heartbeat.

I can't really get into details because of the rules of this site, but there's no question in my mind Phaneuf was a much, much worse choice.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

I can't really get into details because of the rules of this site, but there's no question in my mind Phaneuf was a much, much worse choice.
Why would they make Dion Phaneuf Captain? A low IQ player that took a lot of dumb penalties. That feels like a "Brian Burke" choice.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Why would they make Dion Phaneuf Captain? A low IQ player that took a lot of dumb penalties. That feels like a "Brian Burke" choice.

It may have been believed there was no better choice at the time.

Kessel was great at doing what they were paying him to do (put up points), but was he really Captain material?

Who else was there? Bozak? They had some solid Euro players like Kulemin and Grabovski that they were never going to give the C to.

I don't think Phaneuf was a good choice at all, but there was a dearth of viable options at the time.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It may have been believed there was no better choice at the time.

Kessel was great at doing what they were paying him to do (put up points), but was he really Captain material?

Who else was there? Bozak? They had some solid Euro players like Kulemin and Grabovski that they were never going to give the C to.

I don't think Phaneuf was a good choice at all, but there was a dearth of viable options at the time.
They could always leave it Vacant.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

So nothing that's been verified or substantiated.

They could always leave it Vacant.

They wouldve had to name a captain eventually - it had only been vacant two years but most teams (let alone the most popular team in the league) dont wanna leave that empty for seasons on end.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The worst ever? No.

An overrated player? Yes.

He’s the Joe Thornton of his generation. Undeniable skill, a black hole of intensity.

He’ll put up points as his team underperforms and yet fans will claim he lacks support.

As a Leaf fan I'm OK with this assessment. I actually just looked and without knowing the specifics he has only played more then 7 playoff games in the playoffs twice (bot at 11 games). I don't know if any other season his team made it past the 2nd round but the numbers do not look good

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As a Leaf fan I'm OK with this assessment. I actually just looked and without knowing the specifics he has only played more then 7 playoff games in the playoffs twice (bot at 11 games). I don't know if any other season his team made it past the 2nd round but the numbers do not look good
What, better recheck if talking about Joe Thornton.
Also played 15,18,19 and 24 games for a total of 187 playoff games.

I count 9x more than 7 games, not 2 lol.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Worst ever? I highly doubt that, albeit he doesn't come off as a very good captain IMO. He style of speaking and play wouldn't resonate with myself very well as a leader. He comes off more as complimentary or secondary guy to me, which is a problem considering his cap hit and that he wears the C.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I wonder what Islanders fans think of Pajama Boy 😄
Thank god he's gone....There was no way I wanted the isles to sign him to that deal. You knew after the 4 year he was going to be toast. Was never a fast skater or anything....very good playmaker in the beginning but you knew he wouldn't age well.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Not the worst ever.

He's as steady as they come, which is a good personality to have in a big market. You never see him get over-emotional in front of the press or throw someone under the bus in a fit.

Unfortunately, he's a bit robotic on the ice which doesn't help motivate the troops in big-game situations. That's his flaw and I think it's been the same since he was a teen.
I met him as a kid when he came to Kingston while playing in JR. My neighbour was billeting a fronts player and we were somewhat on talking terms, he came over one day and gave me tickets for a game when JT was in town and after the game he was talking to people and the kid had less personality than wet cardboard.

All that being said, im not sure any of that matters to be a captain in the NHL. I personally feel JT was the wrong signing for the leafs and as long as he is on the roster at the cap hit he has ( which isn't for long now) they won't be able to fix the issues without getting rid of one of their big contracts. However, thats a different issue than him being a bad captain, and since im not in the room in not going to speculate on if hes a bad captain or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad