Tavares Worst Captain Ever

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Taveres is so bad that Habs fans whined when he didn't talk to their team during free agency.
pajama boy had one place in mind
good thing for Habs and others teams , nobody wants that contract. ouch !

I seem to remember JT getting a knee to the head in the playoffs against Montreal and trying to get up that's not gutsy enough for some of you jokers?
That was a brutal collision. Probably cost T.O the series.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Captains are basically mascots and PR type players. You don’t need a letter on the jersey to be a leader in the locker room. Without being on the team it’s impossible to know who the leaders are, and they can be anyone from the best players on the team to a bottom 6 player

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Say what you will. At least Tavares didn't shit-can Keefe to hire the coach he had in junior.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The dirty little secret for Leafs is that you could just as easily insert Matthews’ name for Tavares’ name in the sentence above, and it would have the same accuracy. :dunno:

This might be the worst take in HFboards history. I am in awe.

Last edited:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
He doesn't have the bite/edge that you need, nor does he show enough motivational emotion to drag his team into the fight.

Couture, as the later contention window Sharks became his team, dragged his team in the fight and galvanized the group.

Stamkos, for all his playoff underachieving, has really done a better job leading in the playoffs in his later years, even when it's clear he's not the producer he needs to be.

Tavares is bland as hell out there. Had the Game 6 OT series winner against Tampa and then back to doing little against Florida.

Reactions: Twinsmagic

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm sure he's a good corporate captain. Meaning he's a top player who's good with fans, shows up to team events, puts up good stats, has a backstory of being a Leafs fan growing up, etc etc. They can slap his face on magazines, have him do interviews, hold nights dedicated to him as a player. But as a leader of men, I've never seen it from him. He's still a dangerous player on the ice with the puck on his stick but I would not want him as a captain on my team.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Can we just stipulate that whichever teams are better at hockey will be assumed to have better better leadership from the player that scores the most points - even if that player is a complete douche?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
1714065833227.gif

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's insane that this is the problem some Leaf fans/Leaf critics are focused on. Whether or not Tavares is a good captain doesn't even matter.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HF always says the "C" doesn't matter....until it does. Is Tavares a "leader of men"? I have no idea. He seems a pretty straight-laced guy who is a solid citizen on and off the ice. He's also a Torontuh boy. Perfect for the Leafs and their front office/image. What I do know is giving the "C" to someone else on this team wouldn't move the goalposts much. These guys are all pretty much cut from the same cloth. They need Doug Gilmour or Gary Roberts to rejoin the fold.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
None of us play in the NHL so it's really hard to say who's a good captain or not. Nobody here is with the players day to day or in the dressing room. While I think the captaincy is important, one guy no matter how good he is isn't going to magically lead the team to the promised land because he was a C stitched on his jersey.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
None of us play in the NHL so it's really hard to say who's a good captain or not. Nobody here is with the players day to day or in the dressing room. While I think the captaincy is important, one guy no matter how good he is isn't going to magically lead the team to the promised land because he was a C stitched on his jersey.
I think this is only half accurate. Fans can see active leadership on the ice from players consistently running pre draw huddles, always talking on the bench, taking the time and effort to talk with young and/or struggling players. Less verbose players can lead by example. Like on a night where the rest of the team seems off or disinterested you might see your "leading by example" player putting in extra effort on the ice to try to galvanize the team.

But yeah as for locker room leadership no average fan can know who has it and who doesn't.

Reactions: Lshap

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
How do you quantify how good of a captain someone is without being on the team?

You can't. We have no idea if he's a good captain or not.

Does he choke in the playoffs? Absolutely. He isn't the only one on that team. But for all we know he's a fantastic captain.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He's no Nick Suzuki that's for sure

But Tavares being the Captain ain't in the top 10 reasons why the Leafs sucks

Reactions: Barnum

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I think, to a degree, there is maybe an unspoken perception or even expectation that the captain not only has good leadership abilities but in general is the best player on the team, offensively. We all know that's not the case, but there's more than a few NHL teams whose captain is that type of player.
I would have no idea what happens in the dressing room and whether Tavares has the confidence of his teammates. From an ambassadorial perspective, he certainly fits the bill in terms of projecting a sense of maturity, being even keeled, and keeping his nose clean on and off the ice. From the sponsors' perspective, he is a great spokesman. But a great spokesman does not make a captain.

I know previously being captain of the Islanders may mean diddly squat, but maybe that was just the path of least resistance for the Leafs. Find someone who had that role before and have them take it on, whether on an interim basis (even for a few years) or permanently. Tavares certainly had much promise in the OHL and being first overall draft pick, lots of expectations. Has he achieved them offensively? I would say no, insofar as meeting the potential fans and the league had. But has he been a solid journeyman who has been a decent player? I'd say yes. That doesn't make him captain material either, but I don't think he is, by any stretch of the imagination, the worst captain. That, I would ascribe to Dion Phaneuf, who should have never been in any leadership position in the first place.

Certainly, fans have had a good treat in past years with good solid captains like Sundin, Gilmour, Clark, etc. I would even say Ramage was decent. Would I rank Tavares in that bunch? No, but he is not the worst. In my lifetime (so far) the Leafs haven't really had a lot of bad captains, Phaneuf excepted.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don't think he's a bad captain but he just looks dumb. He looks like he's trying to do long division at all times and shows the emotion of a boiled egg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad