Tavares vs Hedman redraft

Who goes first?

• Total voters

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Both are great players but Hedman’s had years where he’s been the best defenseman in the league while Tavares has never been the best center; in addition Hedman pretty much made Tavares his bitch when the two teams faced each other in the playoffs a few years back. Hedmonster takes this.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They're close as players, and maybe at this point in their careers, Hedman is better, but there were a lot of years Tavares was much better while Hedman was starting out and overall has the better career. I also think he was a better fit to be the franchise player in a poor team situation and take all the responsibility that comes with that. I don't think the Islanders would have thought twice about not taking Tavares before July 1st

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hedman without a second thought.

How many defenders are better than Hedman in the NHL, maybe one? There are a lot of forwards better than Tavares in the NHL.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
I believe Hedman would go first unless a contending team was somehow drafting 1st overall as Hedman took a lot longer than Tavares to develop.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tavares was the right choice back in 09. But right now, this is an easy one. The big stud of a D man Hedman. What a player he turned out to be. And I do recall some people advocating for him going #1 OA back then also. But right now he has clearly moved ahead of Tavares.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Can you imagine if Tampa had drafted Hedman AND Doughty... Always think about it.

As for the topic, it's Hedman.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Tavares was by far the better player for the first 7-8 years but from that point on Hedman looks like the better player. I guess it depends would you prefer short term or long term who you draft

Hindesite being 20/20 for the Islanders Hedman would have been the better choice. If we drafted Hedman we probably would have sucked more in 2010 and drafted Hall or Seguin as well as other seasons like 2011(Huberdeau or Landeskog). The only positive you might argue from drafting Tavares is he might have made a difference getting an arena?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
You can not do wrong, they are both absolutely number 1 picks. If you need a D pick Hedman, otherwise pick Tavares.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tavares was by far the better player for the first 7-8 years but from that point on Hedman looks like the better player. I guess it depends would you prefer short term or long term who you draft

I don't agree with that. I think Tavares had the clear better seasons their first four years in the league, but once Hedman broke out in Year 5 (55 points, 9th in Norris voting) they were on par, then Hedman moved ahead of him these past 3 seasons.

The only time Tavares was the clear better choice was Years 1 to 4. After that, Hedman's establishing himself as the better choice.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't agree with that. I think Tavares had the clear better seasons their first four years in the league, but once Hedman broke out in Year 5 (55 points, 9th in Norris voting) they were on par, then Hedman moved ahead of him these past 3 seasons.

The only time Tavares was the clear better choice was Years 1 to 4. After that, Hedman's establishing himself as the better choice.

I don't want to seem like sour grapes, that being said I would give Tavares year 5(statistically his best PPG season) and 6(his MVP season). Year 7 onwards though you are probably right

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hedman and its laughably not even close :laugh:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Tavares is almost a career PPG player on bad teams until this coming season

How on earth he is losing this poll by this much, or at all, is beyond me.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

The islanders did win a playoff series with John you know. I don't know if I would call that iteration of the islanders a "bad team"

Versus Hedman I would still go with Tavares but it is verrrrry close

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Lmfao

Tavares, the 9th highest active career PPG in the league, is 'not even close' to Hedman

Stay in school buddy

Hedman's won the Norris, and has established himself as a Top-3 defenseman in hockey (depending on how you feel about Karlsson and Doughty). Tavares has zero individual awards and is not a top 10 forward in hockey.

Relative to his positional peers, Hedman's clearly ahead of Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad