Tavares' size and skating

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
So there's been a ton of, IMO, unnecessary and overblown conversation around Tavares' skating and how it may continue to decline...

One thing I noticed recently is how heavy Tavares plays. He's listed at 6'1 - 211 LBS. I went through other centers ahead of him in NHL scoring ...looky here!

McDavid - 6'1 - 193
Kadri - 6'1 - 192
Matthews - 6'3 - 220
Stamkos - 6"0 - 194
Kuznetsov - 6"1 - 205

Tavares plays heavy. That's his game. Only Matty - who is a freak, is heavier by 9 pounds (and 2" taller). No doubt Tavares would gain a step or 2 at 190 where McDavid, Kadri and Stamkos play (all at same height). We'll see if he does that in later years or switches to being a power wing.

Edited to add - Kuznetsov is actually behind him in scoring .

Some other guys: McKinnon - 200 lbs
Crosbie - 200
Bergeron - 197
Point 183
Barzal - 187

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Sometimes I wonder whether he plays too heavy in the regular season but then again there would a drop in production and hence an effect on the fortunes of the team in the regular season. His legs must be insanely strong like Crosby's.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I think JT's strength plays into it, I think his desire plays into it, I think his skills play into it, I think...John Tavares happens to be a hellofa player. Today he's great, tomorrow he'll be very good, and occasionally he'll be alright. Tavares will never be an embarrassment to the team, he's a professional. People obsessing about tomorrow forget that we live in today, John Tavares is a player who consistently offers the best he can be today.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
JT has played this way his whole career. Ask any Islander fan, even when they loved him, they'll tell you he isn't a flashy player and you don't notice him at times. He just gets things done and is the go-to definition along with guys like Crosby and Bergeron for what technically sound means. The drama around his salary was always noise to me. Sign this guy again 10/10 times.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When I see him struggle at times with speed and cleanly handling the puck over the past two seasons, getting swarmed by aggressive back checks and things like that, I’m gaining appreciation for how much work must go into the good times when things are going well. He plays such a heavy style, I don’t think anything comes “effortlessly” for him.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He's changed his game to adapt to his own physical aging and the game itself. Smart players do this.

Just as Simmonds acknowledged the games change and his need to do the same, ditto for Spezza.

The way I view this is that the neighbourhood bulldog may not be the same bulldog he was seven years prior, people may not.cross the street when they see him coming around the block, but, he doesn't forget that he is still a bulldog.

The game may change, the competition may change, but, their brain and DNA is the same, they just need to shift their approach to remain effective. In the case of Tavares, even dominant at times.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One of the main reasons why I don't worry too much about physical decline and Tavares is that his skating has never been a focal point of his game - it's his size and hand skills, neither of which will be going away anytime soon.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Sometimes I wonder whether he plays too heavy in the regular season but then again there would a drop in production and hence an effect on the fortunes of the team in the regular season. His legs must be insanely strong like Crosby's.

on a completely unrelated note, i saw Tucker a few years ago and the guy had the biggest legs/ass ive ever seen

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if his statistical peak ended up being from the back half of his contract as a power winger. Stick him on top line LW and give Nylander a line at C with skilled grinders like Kase and Bunting.

Reactions: saffronleaf

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It's just nuts that a guy who has put up 230 points in 230 games -- including a 47 goals in his inaugural season as a Leaf, and 32 points in 29 games since coming back from a playoff injury where we were concerned he might not play hockey again -- as a Maple Leaf.... who came here voluntarily... the biggest star signing in decades in any NHL team... the first major Toronto superstar who came home... is anything but worshiped here in town.

Tavares at 31 looks a lot like Sundin at 31 to me. A point per game horse.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
One thing I noticed recently is how heavy Tavares plays. He's listed at 6'1 - 211 LBS. I went through other centers ahead of him in NHL scoring ...looky here!

McDavid - 6'1 - 193
Kadri - 6'1 - 192
Matthews - 6'3 - 220
Stamkos - 6"0 - 194
Kuznetsov - 6"1 - 205

Matthews is not 220, he's listed almost everywhere at 6'3" 205. I think it was last offseason he noticeably slimmed down.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It's just nuts that a guy who has put up 230 points in 230 games -- including a 47 goals in his inaugural season as a Leaf, and 32 points in 29 games since coming back from a playoff injury where we were concerned he might not play hockey again -- as a Maple Leaf.... who came here voluntarily... the biggest star signing in decades in any NHL team... the first major Toronto superstar who came home... is anything but worshiped here in town.

Tavares at 31 looks a lot like Sundin at 31 to me. A point per game horse.

Kinda like a Clydesdale. Some are racehorses, some are dependable workhorses.

Reactions: TheProspector
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
The only time where he kind of concerned me was the first half of last season when he had issues handling the puck. He was treating the puck like a hot potato and his passes weren't as crisp. I think he mentioned something about a new stick batch and the curve, but I still believe he was dealing with some sort of hand injury.

His skating, IQ, and pretty much everything else were never a concern for me. And now this year he is playing arguably his best hockey as a Leaf.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He's always played like this. His chemistry with Nylander is a sight to behold tbh. Could potentially finish with 85-90 points this year with Nylander also scoring PPG+. The most complete team we have seen in years from a whole team perspective.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
I’ve been highly critical of Tavares wheels at times but for tough gritty playoff hockey, winning board battles and fighting for position down low he’s exactly the type of star player you want

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Matthews is not 220, he's listed almost everywhere at 6'3" 205. I think it was last offseason he noticeably slimmed down.

Yeah I was using ESPN for the weight but noticed he was 205 somewhere else (I think NHL.com). Just underlines more my point about JT playing heavy because that suits his game...and likely not being as quick because of it. Matthews is 2 inches taller and 6 pounds lighter.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
I have been worried about the Tavares contract since the start of last year but hes doing a great job at changing my mind. Might be playing the best hockey of his career this year. Giving Matthews some competition as top player this year. Somewhere both he and Matthews are beasts is in puck battles, although they have very different approaches. JT excels at finding pucks and digging them out under chaos, has elite hands, hand eye and positioning. These traits should all age well and we may not see a drop off in production before the contract ends. And as other have said, he should be able to transition the wing if necessary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad