Proposal: Tavares or Subban ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I said this same thing about mackinnon for subban earlier in the year, and i'll say the same thing now: It's no-brainer. Both Tavares and Mackinnon are generational talents. Subban is not. He may have won a Norris Trophy, but Tavares is on a whole other level, talent and team impact wise.

On his worst career year, PK made Team Canada, has lead the team in scoring for most of the year and is currently 2nd, is 4th scorer in the NHL and is 14th for ice time. He also has a Norris by age 24.
You are right, he is not a generational talent.. :facepalm:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Why are Habs fans even thinking about trading him? Also I don't think the isles do it straight up.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Trade Plekanec + ??? for a #2 d-man.

Pacioretty - Tavares - Vanek
Bournival - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

We'd have a lot more cap space too. Obviously this is a little bit of a future lineup. Maybe Andrighetto there instead of Bournival. Also assuming Vanek re-signed.
Desharnais is going nowhere.

Galchenyuk - Tavares - Vanek
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
Here's a small list that you would not lose the deal

Crosby
Malkin
Kane
Toews
Tavares
McKinnon
First overall pick in mcdavid draft
Weber
Stamkos
Doughty
Ovechkin

I will take Ovy off that list. Even Patty Kane. I love Kane as a player but I doubt he will bring more to the Habs than Subban.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I said this same thing about mackinnon for subban earlier in the year, and i'll say the same thing now: It's no-brainer. Both Tavares and Mackinnon are generational talents. Subban is not. He may have won a Norris Trophy, but Tavares is on a whole other level, talent and team impact wise.

Neither of them are generational players. Until an 18 year old comes along and puts up 100 points in 4 of his first 5 seasons, why bother mentioning the word 'generational'?

I love Tavares, but he has his flaws. MacKinnon is a special young player and is having a great rookie season, but come on... are you going to call every rookie who gets over 60 points 'generational'?

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
I'd do it but almost entirely due to Tavares' contract. The thought of Tavares at 5.5 for another four seasons playing with Pacioretty at 4.5 for another five makes me salivate. If both of them were making the same money, I'd still likely do it but would give it a lot more thought.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
In terms of value, obviously it's good for the Habs. But it doesn fit our needs. We'd then have to trade forwards with the hope of getting something back for our D corps.

And that second part is easier said than done. Norris caliber Ds don't grow on trees and rarely get traded. So we'd have to overpay for that move and probably end up even. Better high-end talent up front with much less depth, and the opposite on D.

If the Habs had another great D prospect in the pipeline, I'd say hell yeah. But it's not the case right now.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That top 6 would probably be a lottery team.

There's this thing called defensive zone.

There's also this thing called penalty kill.

We'd have Eller on a shutdown line. Pacioretty is decent defensively. Galchenyuk will be good. Gallagher is alright. Bournival is good. That's obviously a future lineup, as I stated.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Because some fans are just never satisfied.
23yo Norris winner, let's trade him!!

Oh come on. 23 year old Norris winner that would have otherwise probably not won it in a regular season.

I love Subban, but I'd trade him any day for a player like Tavares.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Because some fans are just never satisfied.
23yo Norris winner, let's trade him!!

It's just a thread man, nobody reasonable is actually thinking we should shop Subban.

If the Islanders for whatever reason came to us with this offer I'd have to think hard about it and would probably accept. The combo of one of the premier C's in the game signed to a sweetheart deal is tough to turn down.

Would be hard to fill in the D but between Galchenyuk, Eller, and Plekanec you have some nice moveable assets.

Last edited:

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
Yes, in a heartbeat

And nobody has even mentioned the contract factor. At this point, we don't know what PK is asking for but we can speculate it is a bundle, and for 7-8 yrs. At a moment where his overall level of play is raising questions. He wants stud-D Norris type money but hasn't followed through on his great (shortened) season.

Meanwhile, Tavares is a perennial top 5 nhl scorer and has 4 more years at 5,5 ! yummy

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
I don't think I would even though I consider Tavares to be possibly a superior player because finding a good #1D is so freaking hard, and I believe that it's the single most important player on the team. A #1D that can play 30 min a night (and PK should be playing that if MT realized he was awesome on the PK before he came) can win you a cup more than a #1C imo.

I just don't see how we would replace PK in our system. I don't think Beaulieu is quite as good overall (if he turns out to be quite as good as PK, wow!). How far would it set us back to lose one of our top D with no equivalent replacement in sight?

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
Guys stop saying you'd rather have Tavares over Subban. Then Subban is gonna go on HF tonight sign in as Phaneuf as a disguise and won't sign with us this off-season!:sarcasm:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Here's a small list that you would not lose the deal

Crosby
Malkin
Kane
Toews
Tavares
McKinnon
First overall pick in mcdavid draft
Weber
Stamkos
Doughty
Ovechkin

Subban is the only sure D "prospect" in the Habs' system with a potential long-term future here. Markov cannot do it alone and his age is eventually going to lower his effectiveness. Tinordi and Beaulieu have untapped potential and we don't know close to their ceilings they will reach. Trading Subban for a forward, even Crosby, will render the defense leaky, and thus render the team noncompetitive unless Tinordi and/or Beaulieu become Norris-caliber in their own right.

In a vacuum, a Subban trade for one of these guys is something to consider, but the Habs' situation is such that we really need to keep a Dman around who can play at a high level and for years to come. Hence, Doughty would be the only guy on that listed I'd pull the trigger on without hesitation. Weber's cap hit is brutal to take in.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
A great all star defenceman who is already a major NHL trophy winner doesnt grow on trees... I like Travares but I say stay with PK and tell Therrien to take the reins off him and let him play his game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad